main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

GL vs. HC take on how the Tusken Raider confession scene should have been done

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by JediGirl1, Jun 17, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediGirl1

JediGirl1 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 15, 2002
    Okay. This is my first post.....please be kind!

I bought the June edition of Arena Magazine (British) and in it is a great interview with Hayden. Of particular interest was when the interviewer asked him what kind of direction GL offered to him on this crucial scene.

HC: "This was one scene where George and I were in conflict as to how it should be played. He wanted me to play it much stronger and not break down and show any real emotion until the very, very end and I was like - I don't know if I can do this, because the way I had been justifying playing these younger and more naive situations was the fact I had this scence coming up. It was very important for me that be breaks down and re-tells it in a really childish manner to justify his young sensibilities. His not breaking down wouldn't justify all those qualities. Because after he had done this horrific thing, how he explains it, and how he displays his immature qualities was very important to me. And so I compromised a little bit and he compromised a little bit and it was sort of a melding of the two, which was really neat, to have this sharing with him".

I feel that the scene was played out correctly and that showing his emotions added to Anakin's immaturity in the movie. Showing no emotion would not have flown correctly with the way the character was played throughout the beginning of the movie.

Any other thoughts or comments?

2. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    Interesting...

3. Obi-Wan2001

Obi-Wan2001 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 6, 2001
    Thank God that George compromised with Hayden. It was very important that Anakin break down and show real emotion.

4. ADONIAH32

ADONIAH32 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 18, 2002
    JediGirl1, welcome to the board! :)

Yes, the scene was done just right. I don't think it could have been done better, as it conveyed the emotions perfectly.

5. Fitten trim

Fitten trim Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 31, 1999
    I have many problems with the movie, but the confession scene is tied with Yoda's fight as a highlight for me.

6. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    I think it's good for people to know that GL has these kinds of interactions with his actors. I didn't completely buy the scene from a character/dramatic viewpoint, but it's good to know that Hayden and George both thought about it and talked it out.

7. JohnWilliams00

JohnWilliams00 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 29, 2002
    I still don't understand what HC is getting at...that's one awkwardly structured and rambling quote. He must've been drunk.

I think what he was trying to say (after having to read the quote 3 times) was that he wanted to play that scene with him breaking up from the very beginning, rather than slowly building as a crescendo.

8. Shelley

Shelley Jedi Youngling star 5

Sep 9, 2001
    I'm glad Lucas compromised too; the scene is much more effective with Anakin breaking down and showing emotion.

Kinda deflates the oft-stated myths that Lucas doesn't listen to suggestions and doesn't interact with the performers.

9. DarthKnight

DarthKnight Jedi Youngling star 1

May 14, 2002
    Lucas should put out a Rated R version of Star Wars and put a gang load of blood and slaughtering etc..etc.. Call it, Star Wars Killer Edition. :D

10. Pooja

Pooja Jedi Knight star 6

May 25, 2002
    Okay. This is my first post.....please be kind!

That's a sign, members of this board.

11. Shelley

Sep 9, 2001
    I still don't understand what HC is getting at...that's one awkwardly structured and rambling quote. He must've been drunk.

That's not a very nice thing to say. I understood it just fine, and perhaps he found it hard to articulate exactly what he felt.

I think what he was trying to say (after having to read the quote 3 times) was that he wanted to play that scene with him breaking up from the very beginning, rather than slowly building as a crescendo.

It seemed to me that while Lucas didn't want Anakin to show any emotion until the very end, Hayden wanted Anakin to break down at the beginning. They compromised, with Anakin steadily showing more emotion as the confession went on, and then finally breaking down.

12. Oakessteve

Oakessteve Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 9, 1999
    I'm glad George compromised to, as I think Anakin's confession scene is not only one of the best acted scenes in the whole of the Saga, but also one of my favourite too, and if he had shown no emotional at all, there'd be no way of connecting, or sympathising with the anguish Anakin is going through at that moment. Anyhow, it's a good job George is finally taking suggestions from his actors :p.

13. Luke_Clone

Luke_Clone Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 15, 2002
    I don't know about you guys, but my respect for both people, George and Hayden just went up a few notches. Hayden even more so.

Now, if only Hayden would advise George on the inevitable lightsaber fight between himself and Ewan. Please, George listen to the kid! :D

14. DarthHomer

DarthHomer Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2000
    That scene left me speechless the first time I saw it, and everytime I've seen it since I feel a deathly silence fall over the audience and some of the mothers with young kids are visibly disturbed.
    True story :)

15. PadmeLeiaJaina

PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost star 6

May 23, 2002
    My guess is that he's referring to the "I killed them" moment in the scene. Lucas probably wanted him to be full of hate when he said it.

It's actually brilliant that GL caved because that moment ultimately seals the drama of the whole scene, when he's staring at his hands in horror, but turns around, faces Padme, filled w/ hate. I remember reading that GL and the whole team were silent after the scene was finished..they all had tears in their eyes. That shows a lot of maturity on Hayden's end. I thought the quote to be facinating- thanks JediGirl1

16. Luke_Clone

Luke_Clone Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 15, 2002
    DarthHomer, I've had a similar experience. In fact on my seventh viewing (DLP he he) a little child actually said, "I don't like this part, Mommy."

17. Darth_Imran

Darth_Imran Jedi Padawan star 4

May 30, 2002
    I doubt that anyone could have done that scene better than hayden. he was crying, he was sad, he was full hate and anger. he also broke down.

Natalie said in an interview, that after that scene everyone was silent, and was about to start crying. She also stated that everyone was saying that a "star was being born". This shows that hayden is a very good actor

I think for this reason people should stop with the hayden-acting-bashing.

18. Shelley

Sep 9, 2001
    Anyhow, it's a good job George is finally taking suggestions from his actors.

What, is there evidence of him refusing to take suggestions on previous occasions?

19. Bresson

Bresson Jedi Youngling star 3

May 16, 2002
    You wonder if critics who bashed the movie for not having heart and soul and full of bad acting, actually saw this scene. I have an image of Roger Ebert in line for fifteen minutes at the snack bar loading up on Goobers then taking his seat as R2-D2 delivers the message from Obi.

20. Darth_Imran

Darth_Imran Jedi Padawan star 4

May 30, 2002
    bresson;

I'm with you. I never listen to ANY critic, because they only like what they are piad to like, or supposed to like. They think that spiderman has "excellent acting and action, where as AOTC has crapy acting, with rubish cgi action".

I somtimes wonder if they watched the same film as me. I also wonder why people are being to lose the part of their brain which alows them to think and have an imagination.

Sorry, but these CRITICS really got p****d off when they began to bash AOTC, natalie and hayden. it was like they read a shopping list for 2 hours, and thought it was AOTC.

21. Oakessteve

Oakessteve Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 9, 1999
    Err...Shelley, I was only joking. That's why I put the :p thingy there. And I was one of those people who said that George never takes any suggestions from his actors, so really, I was making fun of myself. Anyhow, it's a good scene, in either case.

22. Sbuck143

Sbuck143 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 21, 2002
    Further evidence of how good HC's acting was in that scene....you can see it in Natalie's face. Right after Anakin says he'll learn to stop people from dying, it cuts to a close up of Natalie's face, and the look she has is quite possibly the most emotional look she has in the entire PT to this point. She is afraid, and *looks* like she has chills up her spine from what Anakin is saying. She gasps out a whispered, cautious, scared "Anakin...".

That scene is by far my favorite of the entire SW saga. I can't imagine it done any other way.

23. Shelley

Sep 9, 2001
    Sorry, Oakessteve, I didn't mean to sound harsh, I was actually asking an honest question. :)

24. Darthkarma

Darthkarma Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 30, 2000

This is great. We rarely get much background info on George's interaction with actors. Sounds like a good compromise was reached which resulted in a great scene.

25. jedi-jeff

jedi-jeff Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 2, 2000
    JediGirl1

This is a great thread for your first post.

I liked the idea of HC showing such emotion in that scene. That scene was more effective.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.