main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

GL vs. HC take on how the Tusken Raider confession scene should have been done

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by JediGirl1, Jun 17, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anakin_Skywalker20

Anakin_Skywalker20 Jedi Master star 5

Nov 16, 2000
    I agree.. Hayden did a great job and I can't wait to see it again... *sighs* Natalie isn't a bad actor... She was great... the confession scene was so powerful-i felt like breaking down and and... :( *sniffs*

2. Leonard_Shelby

Leonard_Shelby Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 31, 2002
    JediGirl1: Welcome to the boards and great first post/thread. :)

I love that scene as well. It is my new favorite in the entire saga. I hope there are scenes on par with the likes of this one in Episode III. That'd kick ass. :D And I think it is great that George and Hayden compromised on how they approached the scene. I think the way it is right now is perfect. Hopefully they don't alter or tamper with it on the dvd..... [face_plain] :mad:

Darth Homer and Luke_Clone: I also had an experience with that scene regarding a little kid. He and his mother were sitting in front of me and when this scene happened, the little boy turned and looked at his mom. His eyes were bulging out and his mouth was wide open. He looked as if he had seen a ghost. I think I even heard a little kid behind me whisper "He scares me." I'm sure Anakin's tirade about slaughtering women and children along with screaming "I HATE THEM!!" terrified most little younglings. :( :_|

I, on the other hand, thought it was brilliant!!! :D

"Now, where was I...?" ?[face_plain] -Lenny

3. That_Wascally_Droid

That_Wascally_Droid Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 29, 2001
    The scene came out perfect really. One of the few actually perfect moments in the entire sw saga. Wait. . . that came out wrong. What I meant was in the saga you have your handfull of moments that are perfect for you. Out of the spectacular moments you have that handful of perfect ones. The binary sunset, Yoda's speach about the Force and the X-Wing levitation, Vader's funeral pyre, Maul igniting his double saber and the start of the fight, confession scene.

4. jedi-jeff

jedi-jeff Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 2, 2000
    What makes this scene and the confession scene great, beyond the performance of HC, is his facial expressions. The looks he gives tell us even more about Anakins state of mind than any dialogue.

5. cable1996

cable1996 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2001
    I like the scene as played, but the extended scene from the novel would have been better. It involved Anakin showing regret.... that he hated the tuskens, not for slaughtering them.

6. JediGirl1

JediGirl1 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 15, 2002
    Another good part in the Arena article:

Interviewer: GL is not known for his hands-on approach to actors, famously (and it must be said, self-confessed) offering only two directions: "Faster" and "More intense".

Hayden: "Yeah, I heard that a couple of times. I had that understanding of his reputation as a director, but he didn't give me that impression from working with him. On one level I felt he was maybe a little more excited about this film. He was very specific with his direction and I was very insistent that we had a constant line of communication, because he is the one who created all these characters and understands how they related to each other. So you're asking questions of and getting direction from the writer, the director and the visionary in this whole process".

Though this is the most challengingand rewarding scene as an actor for him in the film, it is not his favourite.
    The one he is most looking forward to seeing is a two second linking scene where he pulls up to a Jawa on his "swoop bike" to ask for directions. He remembers looking down at the French midget under the brown hessian robe and thinking for the first time, "Well, this would be me in a Star Wars film, then". :eek:

7. JohnWilliams00

JohnWilliams00 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 29, 2002
    [image=http://www.episode-x.com/episode2/trailers/img/teaserc/54.jpg]

French midget?! [face_shocked] I learn something new every day. [face_laugh]

8. Anakin_Skywalker20

Nov 16, 2000
    lol [face_laugh] Hi Williams :)

9. Durwood

Durwood Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 18, 2002
    And people say Lucas doesn't know how to work with actors.

10. Anakin_Skywalker20

Nov 16, 2000
    WEll it is true... But... Sometimes his directing can be good. Thats all, but Lucas said that he isn't a very good director... y'know?? :) But..he did a reasonbly good job...me thinks. :)

11. Zanath

Zanath Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 13, 2002
    "I HATE THEM!"

God, even when I read that line I get chills down my back.

Anyway, I'm glad he and Lucas compromised, because the end result is totally chilling, as has been mentioned. THis is proof that Lucas can work with actors and can make compromises.

12. Dagobah_Dude

Dagobah_Dude Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 9, 2001
    A magnificiently acted and directed scene, one that not only shows that Lucas' critics are wrong about his abilities but also about his not working well with actors. Sounds like there was some creative friction here, and the scene works beautifully as a result. Probably my favorite SW moment, right up there with "I am Your Father" and "Now Young Skywalker...you will die".

13. Leonard_Shelby

Leonard_Shelby Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 31, 2002
    Wascally: I agree. I think those are perfect as well. I also love all of the Dagobah scenes, Vaders' redemption, the list goes on and on. :D

jedi-jeff: I agree there as well. Hayden is great at conveying emotions. Especially with his facial expressions. Plus, his eyes speak a thousand words. That dude can do some crazy ***t with his eyes. Finally saw Life as a House this weekend. Good flick. Hayden is great in that movie also. :) Plus, he seems to be in movies where something bad happens to one of his parents. :( :_|

"Now, where was I...?" ?[face_plain] -Lenny

14. Missninfan

Missninfan Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 6, 2000
    Wow. Good for Hayden for articulating how he thought the character would react. That's awesome. It also shows that George is approachable and a reasonable man to deal with.

I love this scene a lot. I love Hayden's eyes. He's totally enraged. It's perfect.

15. Bresson

Bresson Jedi Youngling star 3

May 16, 2002
    Yes, props to Hayden for challenging Lucas. I still think the acting feels listless because that's what Lucas wants and the actors are struggling with some of the exhaustingly expository dialogue. Its been commented that Natalie expresses more with her eyes and face than Lucas can with reams of dialogue. There's a lesson to be learned there. And if an actor has to step up to the plate and cause a little "friction" to get Lucas to let them experiment, then they should be encouraged to do so. I imagine it must be pretty intimidating, with the Emperor directing and all. But if a rookie actor can do it (albeit one who, judging from his interviews, doesn't lack for confidence) then vets like Ewan, Sam, and Natalie shouldn't have an issue.

16. DarkLord_Tyrannus

DarkLord_Tyrannus Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 9, 2002
    Liars, George is always one to listen to suggestions.

Samuel Jackson, said in a joking around manner "hey can I have a different color lightsaber, and George was like "well see what I can do"

and boom he did it.

Also George compromised on how Darth Vaders death grip should be done in Empire Strikes Back, but not raising his hand and just using his mind to do it.

SO PLEASE, George is good guys.

17. Darth_Goofy

Darth_Goofy Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2001
    Wooooaah buddy, just because you don't agree with someone is no reason to call them a liar. Lighten up. :)

Great topic by the way, welcome to the forums, JediGirl!

18. Imperial_Guard

Imperial_Guard Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 13, 2002
    I think there was a brief article on this very site about how HC made an impression on GL in the casting process by not being hypnotized by the "GL-creator of SW aura" and not laughing at some of GL's jokes (ie. he was honest and treated GL just like anybody else) so this anecdote is not a surprise and it's good to know that the lead and the director work well together, otherwise, Ep.III would be a rough ride. This thread is just more proof that GL and Robin Gurland (casting director) have done a tremendous job on the PT so far. In addition, based on what I've seen in interviews and behind the scenes, it seems that GL and Sam Jackson work well together too. It seems fairly clear that GL has more depth as a director than people tend to give him credit for.

19. Frank_Palpatine

Frank_Palpatine TFN Video Encoder • JC Icon Artist star 4 VIP

Mar 29, 2002
    (no message)

20. Darth_Goofy

Darth_Goofy Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2001
    I agree, Imperial_Guard. Better to have someone who'll make suggestions on what they think will work, as opposed to following what the Mighty GL says he wants and never speaking up.

Think of all the ways the Confession scene could have been screwed up, it's great that Hayden was willing to put in his 2 cents about it.

21. Darth_SMITTIUS

Darth_SMITTIUS Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 16, 2002
    I too am quite glad that Lucas can compromise with his actors like this. Having read this, I feel that all those critics who say that George is terrible with actors are full of poodoo. I got shivers every time i saw that scene. Also, when I took my mom to see this movie, she started to cry at this scene! This scene (as well as the entire movie) really touched me deeply and I think that this is probably the most emotionally charged SW movie made yet (but then again, we still have to wait for episode 3).

22. Darth_Poutine

Darth_Poutine Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 20, 2002
    Hmm. That interview was very revealing. I see a parallel in the conflict between OB1 and Anakin and HC and GL.

In a surprise twist, it will be announced that HC will be directing Episode III. ;)

23. PadmeLeiaJaina

PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost star 6

May 23, 2002
    Seriously, anyone who hasn't seen "Life as a House" rent or buy it. Most of the film is kinda sappy- but Hayden positively steals the movie. He's chilling to watch. I could almost hear echos of "You're tearing me apart!!!!" (James Dean Rebel w/o a Cause in case you didn't know.)

It was amazing, the character is similar enough to Anakin that a lazy, untrained young actor could have just redone Anakin in the role. But Hayden didn't do it. Except for the occasional squinting of the eyes, I didn't see Anakin at all in the performance.

I'm thrilled GL went w/ Hayden. He has the potential to be the Harrison Ford of this series. Power to him.

PS I loved the midget comment. :)

24. Falls_the_Shadow

Falls_the_Shadow Jedi Youngling star 3

May 31, 2002
    Great first post, JediGirl.

It's been said before, but I think the compromise, plus HC's acting, created the perfect scene. The swirl of emotions are embodied in his every move.

This is the reason I have seen the movie six times.

Good for HC speaking up and for GL for listening . . . the Force is strong in that team. :)

25. TheVioletBurns

TheVioletBurns Jedi Master star 4

May 27, 2002
    I need this Arena magazine. :D

Love this sort of insight. This only makes me more confident in Hayden and George for III. We've got some great scenes coming up, folkies!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.