main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

GL vs. HC take on how the Tusken Raider confession scene should have been done

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by JediGirl1, Jun 17, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PadmeLeiaJaina

PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost star 6

May 23, 2002
    Here's HC's take on the scene and how he portrayed it from the newest SW Insider:

For Christensen, the confession scene w/ Portman was the most pivotal as a turning point for his character. "That scene was particularly important to me," he said. "Up until that point, Anakin has that childish, dismissive tone. He has the arrogance that a child has. So it was important to me, when he is on his own emotional and metal brink, that he break down and cry, and display his emotion the way a child would. The fact that he breaks down and cries like a baby is important to me, because it will show a larger change and a greater transformation from someone who reacts to a tragic event by crying and asking for help, to someone who would react very differently in the future. That's why I made those choices. I put a lot of effort into that scene."

2. JediGirl1

JediGirl1 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 15, 2002
    I think that the effort that Hayden put into that scence really shows through and it seems like he really wanted to do justice to the character - like he realled CARED about Anakin and how he was feeling at that moment in time. It is one of my favour moments in all of the SW saga.

3. Darthkarma

Darthkarma Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 30, 2000

That scene is IMPRINTED into my brain.

I love it.

4. ami-padme

ami-padme Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 19, 1999
    Those are great interviews and some very interesting quotes by Hayden. He seems like a thoughtful actor, and it shows in the film, particularly in the confession scene. And it's great that he and GL can speak about the scenes and the character that way. This is a really good thread...I need to find these magazines. :)

5. TK_Four_Two_One

TK_Four_Two_One Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 17, 2002
    I am glad to hear that Hayden just didnt sit there and say 'yes, sir!' to everything Lucas said- and that he expressed his OWN feelings on certain scenes that Lucas took into account- which is also the sign of a good director. Hayden giving his opinions to Lucas on how a scene should be done shows his confidence and strong character- not so unfamiliar to a certain Mr Ford we all know and love.

6. Darthkarma

Darthkarma Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 30, 2000

I think Lucas really likes and respects Hayden. I'm sure he didn't have to spend much time in the editing room before he realized his instincts to hire Hayden were correct. He is a superb actor. Lucas has always had good judgement in casting...all you have to do to confirm that is watch AMERICAN GRAFFITI.

7. JediGirl1

Jun 15, 2002
    I think Lucas really likes and respects Hayden. I'm sure he didn't have to spend much time in the editing room before he realized his instincts to hire Hayden were correct. He is a superb actor. Lucas has always had good judgement in casting...all you have to do to confirm that is watch AMERICAN GRAFFITI.

I read in another article that the director of Life as a House (Irwin Winkler) got raves from GL about Hayden. IW called GL to invite him to the Hollywood premiere of LAAH. The last time the two spoke, Winkler grilled GL about his experience working with HC. IW says "I got raves from George, just raves". He was not disappointed when he cast the young actor as Kevin Kline's son in LAAH - "Now I know why George loves him!".

I also read that when Hayden read for the part with Kevin Kline that both IW and KK just looked at each other with disbelief and they knew instantly that he was the person they wanted. They said that they were both rather dumbfounded with his ability.

8. TK_Four_Two_One

Jun 17, 2002
    yip- this guy Hayden is heading for a GREAT career- just like Harrison Ford. as long as he chooses his films wisely he will be seen as possibly one of the best.

9. SithSorceress

SithSorceress Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 13, 2002
    What I think is funny about Hayden, who I absolutely love, is that the parts he chooses are well......emotional wrecks as one person put it- Higher Ground-sex abuse victim, drug addict Life as a House-pierced, bitter, AEA, drug addict Anakin Skywalker-mass murderer

Guy likes a challenge!

10. Bresson

Bresson Jedi Youngling star 3

May 16, 2002
    Let me just play Devil's Advocate here among all the Hayden Loving:

About the time LIFE AS A HOUSE came out, Hayden was interviewed by (my memory is fuzzy as there have been sooo many interviews) NY Times or EW, and he really came off like a spoiled, arrogant jerk. No worse than your typical Young Hollywood moron, but it was surprising since nobody had seen CLONES yet and LIFE was just starting its run. The interviewer asked him if he was worried about being typecast in STAR WARS and it hurting his career as it seemed to hurt Mark Hamill's. Hayden reportedly laughed and said something to the effect, "No. I'm gonna make smart choices."

Now, it's debatable and interpretive, but this was really my first exposure to him and he really spun me the wrong way. Sure, Mark Hamill hasn't exactly had the greatest post-STAR WARS career, but its been a career nonetheless. He's a survivor, and he's always come across as a pretty decent guy (again, interpretive, as I don't know him personally). I'm not sure what Hayden C.'s done that makes his career so great that he can slam someone else's. I noticed his more recent interviews he's been more "diplomatic", but he really did come across as a spoiled, vain little brat.

(this is no reflection on his acting, which has been good, so far. But, come on, he's been in two movies. Let's back away from the new Harrison Ford talk until he has a longer resume, ok?)

11. TK_Four_Two_One

Jun 17, 2002
    "Let's back away from the new Harrison Ford talk until he has a longer resume, ok?)"

There is no harm in trying to maybe foresee a great career like Harrison's. Whats the point in me saying AFTER he has a great career or a few more good films- it would be like jumping on a bandwagon. I'm going out on a limb by saying I think he will have as great a career as Harrison's- not waiting to jump on a bandwagon. And if I'm right at least i can say i told you so but if i'm wrong then i hold my hands up and say i'm wrong. From his present ACTING ability i can see a great career- its got nothing to do with his interview techniques... though a good agent also helps maintain a good career. Just look at Joey Tribiani's career- LOL!!!

12. Luke_Clone

Luke_Clone Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 15, 2002
    Huh, I remember that interview as well Bresson and I think his reply was something like, "I don't think that will happen to me." You may be right... it might have been more like " I'm not going to make the same decisions." but I still think that, from seeing Hayden at SWC2, he is an all around good guy. He got asked some pretty dorky questions and he fielded them with ease. I suppose I've liked him ever since SWC2. :)

13. JediGirl1

Jun 15, 2002
    I was just wondering if this scence was played out any different in the book. I have not read it but plan to. Is it worth the money?

14. Bresson

Bresson Jedi Youngling star 3

May 16, 2002
    Luke Clone,

My memory is that he was a little less gracious than how you remember it, but since neither of us can produce the article...c'est la vie. I just remember my impression after reading the interview and it wasn't good, a point which stuck out because it was the first time I'd heard anything out of his mouth.

But to be fair to Hayden C., he has been much more gracious once the heavy promotion started. So if there was some arrogance there, he's either corrected it or the publicity people pulled him aside and read him the Lucas Rules.

15. SithSorceress

SithSorceress Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 13, 2002
    I believe the article you're all refring to was from the NY Times Magazine, I read it on TFN-and you're right, it came off as pretty un-Haydenlike and nasty. Well, I give him the benefit of the doubt, considering I've never read anything nasty by him before.....those Hayden Lovers you mentioned? I'm one of 'em.

16. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    JediGirl- the only real differences were at the very end, (NOT DIRECT QUOTES)
    Anakin just kept saying, I didn't/couldn't control my anger,"
    Padme responds, "to be angry is a human emotion Anakin,"
    He replys, "to control your anger is to be a Jedi."
    Padme says, "You're only human Anakin." and he then breaks down and cries.

I didn't notice them saying anything about how exactly Anakin delivered his lines.

17. Darth_Goofy

Darth_Goofy Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2001
    I remember that article. I used to have it saved, but I don't anymore. :(

I do remember that he had bronchitis (sp?) when he was giving the interview, so you can't blame him for being a little moody.

18. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    I was just reading the latest Insider, and I was struck by something he said about going online and doing research for his character. Makes you wonder what sites he wandered through. He certainly put in a ton of effort into the role.

19. Scruffy-looking

Scruffy-looking Jedi Youngling star 3

May 26, 2002
    I was just wondering if this scence was played out any different in the book. I have not read it but plan to. Is it worth the money?

Actually, there is a significant difference, in my opinion. In the movie, after he says, "I hate them!", he then sits down and starts to weep, and Padme comforts him. That she does this without Anakin saying anything remorseful is part of the reason people criticize the love story; how could Padme fall in love with an unrepentant mass murderer?

In the book, after he says that line, he asks Padme, "Why do I hate them?" Padme and Anakin converse (see those lines PLJ quotes, there are a couple more), and he finally breaks down, saying "I'm sorry, I'm so sorry". If we saw that, it would be even more powerful, although admittedly it may have dragged a bit.

It's a pattern repeated in a lot of the Anakin-Padme scenes; after the important dialogue is said, their scene just seems to end--see the conversation on the refugee ship, the walk to the palace, the democracy conversation in the field, and the confession scene. It's a shame GL felt he needed to cut these scenes so short! :(

While I would recommend getting the novel, it'd be hypocritcal of me, since every time I go to the local book store I seem to go over and 'browse' through the novel cover-to-cover! ;)

20. Jar Jar

Jar Jar Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 13, 1998
    Well George has compromised with actors at least one other time I can think of in TPM. Liam Neeson wanted to console Shmi in some way when Anakin was going to leave, but George did not want that. They argue about it, and in the end a decision was reached in him being able to place his hand on her shoulder.

Stuff like that happens all the time and actors constantly add their own unique twist to everything they do. George doesn't deal with that very well, he never has, but that's life. Remember that this puppy is pretty much his, so he doesn't take much input or changes. The original trilogy guys may act like they had major input, but it's always been George.. He is Star Wars.

As far as Hayden goes I like the guy, but I think he praises himself too much. The confessional scene to my understanding was his big focus from the start of production so I know that George wanted him to pretty much do whatever with it as long as it wasn't terrible. It's a great piece of acting and he should be proud of it, but George deserves credit for making that scene what it is. So what if the tail end of the dialougue is cut? That happens! The big key to remember is that the rest of it is George's hand.

Without him, there is no confession to act out.

21. JediGirl1

Jun 15, 2002
    Lucas isn't known for his flexibility, which caused the infamous outburst from Harrison Ford on the set of ANH - Tokyoxtreme

I was just wondering....I have not heard of this "famous outburst" from Harrison Ford - Could anyone elaborate on this?

22. JediGirl1

Jun 15, 2002
    While I would recommend getting the novel, it'd be hypocritcal of me, since every time I go to the local book store I seem to go over and 'browse' through the novel cover-to-cover!

Thanks for the insight Scruffy_looking. I think that I may go and do the same. Someone else told me that they felt the book gives a lot more insight into how Anakin is actually feeling and what is going through his head during most of the scenes. Also helps explain a little more about why Padme actually falls in love with him, etc...

23. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    The novel actually gives LOTS of extra Padme insight. We see from the second she spots Anakin on Coruscant, her heart flutters and he makes her all nervous. The scenes w/ her family are wonderful, they are playful, yet you really get to see her building internal conflict over her feelings over Anakin.

If you haven't read it, do so. It makes the Love Story better.

24. Die_Jedi_Dogs

Die_Jedi_Dogs Jedi Master star 3

Jun 17, 2002
    Hayden was chosen to play Anakin because he dosent say "Yes Sir" to every thing GL says.

25. ADONIAH32

ADONIAH32 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 18, 2002
    Yea, see, most people who complain about the love story probably never have bothered to read the novel. And what PadmeLeiaJaina said is correct.

The novel gives a great new look to the love story; it makes it look so much better. I saw the movie first and also thought the love story was just a little weak, but after reading the novelization, you're view on the love situation completely changes. I guess it boils down to that adjectives and verbs can convey a deeper meaning that a picture can sometimes :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.