main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends Glory Days (Dooku , OC) Updated 1/02

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by azizah, Feb 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. azizah

azizah Jedi Master star 1

Sep 4, 2006
    Title: Glory Days
    Author: azizah
    Timeframe: Pre TPM
    Characters: Dooku, OC
    Summary: Dooku learns of the events of JA book #7 and his former padawan?s involvement.

My first attempt at Dooku, so I am a little nervous. [face_worried]

&

The legendary Jedi Master bowed low to the two opposing party delegates. The movement was graceful and effortless, showing none of the awkwardness superiors sometimes felt when deferring to inferiors, a distinction granted the Jedi in all three minds present. The act was graciousness itself. But then Dooku was always gracious, especially in victory. And he was the victor here, even if he was the only one who truly understood that.

In a mere handful of days he had single handedly averted a war that would have taken an army of the republic, if such a much needed thing existed, bloody years to settle. Even the Jedi Council had been impressed, and they had sent him expecting results. Dooku himself expected nothing less.

The problem was age old but nothing out of the ordinary. A lower class grown powerful by successful commerce, carelessly wielding their new-found power for change and self promotion, full of insolence and avarice, a thing Dooku abhorred. An archaic nobility, scholarly and dignified, shunning anything that resembled progress, who had allowed themselves to grow weak and defenseless, something almost more abhorrent in Dooku?s mind.

If lives were not at stake it would almost seem juvenile, a school yard matter really, compel the bully and empower his victims.

What was required was not a warrior, nor even a diplomat. What was needed was a teacher and it sometimes pleased Dooku to see himself in that light. Such a noble profession. Yes, all that was required was a teacher, with the right skills and proper understanding. And a firm hand.

Dooku suppressed a sigh, there were times when he almost found it too easy. Still, he stood patiently listening to the necessary platitudes expressed by both sides, in his mind already considering the possibility of requesting another mission from the council. With the challenging work done, there was little left to hold his interest. Too much the model Jedi to be bored, he did allow that it all left him feeling a bit flat.

It was time to move on.

The first consul for the grand regency addressed the Jedi, ?Master Dooku, I have been informed that the diplomatic emissary team from the senate has just arrived from Coruscant. I have ordered refreshments to be served in the great hall, will you join us in receiving them??

?I would be honored, your grace.?

Dooku followed the men, out of the formal office and down the long corridor toward the receiving room. The carpet was luxuriously plush and the walls lined with priceless pieces of art from across the galaxy, the real thing, not holographic reproductions, even that Wrang dynasty vase was real, exquisitely beautiful, but hopelessly fragile. One wrong step by a gangly teenaged padawan would cause a diplomatic disaster it would take days to sort out.

Force. Where had that thought come from?

Dooku was amused at the strange workings of his mind, it had been years since he?d had a padawan trailing after him. His mouth unknowingly twisted into a half smile at the thought, with Qui-Gon Jinn for an apprentice, one was rarely bored. Always watching, always questioning, things his master had done or not done, not to mention the boy?s perverse attachment to certain lower life forms, it was a wonder they had accomplished anything.

But they had. Looking back, it seemed a time of unique clarity and focus, a time when anything and everything seemed possible. Maybe it had just been youthful naiveté or perhaps time had colored his perceptions. Whatever the reality, his years as Qui-Gon?s master been anything but dull.

Did he miss it? Perhaps. He certainly was not considering acquiring another padawan. There were other things one could find to occupy ones time.

?Master Dooku

2. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    This was great. I loved the OC and the way he handled the news with Dooku. A good manipulation to make Dooku crack his aura of Jedi stoic.

PM me with updates please.

3. Jinngerbread

Jinngerbread Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 2, 2007

Maybe he had already found a new mission. All thought of flight forgotten, he turned his deliberate, methodical and calculating mind to the matter at hand, finding the answer to one simple question.

Just what the devil was going on back home?!

I really like the way you've shown Dooku interacting with others and I found that especially interesting. Of course the guy goes away right when Dooku really begins to wonder. Excellent beginning!

4. ratna

ratna Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 1, 2007
    Ahhh, you got me! With your razor sharp characterization, and mysterious intrigue....

Please pm me when you update? [face_batting]

-ratna

5. Nimloth

Nimloth Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 10, 2007
    You don´t need to be nervous about writing Dooku, you got it wonderfully!

And that Senator!

The senator shrugged and raised his hands theatrically, ?I see you have more important things on your mind, so I humbly admit defeat. Far be it for a simple senator like me to attempt to understand the doings of the mighty Jedi Order. I will trouble you no more, if you would just answer one question. Tell me is it true, what I have heard? That the source of the Jedi?s current problems, that the cause of all this bother is none other than your former apprentice, Jedi Master Qui-Gon Jinn??

Dooku?s mask of perfect Jedi slipped, and just for a moment he stared.

[face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

6. Persephone_Kore

Persephone_Kore Jedi Master star 4

Jan 19, 2006
    Ooh, hey. Not only a Dooku story, but one about him as a Jedi. I suspect I would understand this story better if I had actually read the book you're referring to, but the summary helped a lot and I'm going to read this anyway. *g* Now that I have some idea what in the world Senator Taylar is talking about, I'm quite curious to see how Dooku goes about investigating it, especially from a distance.

I liked the mention of the warning-off message. There's a neat connection to RotS there. I also liked the way in which Senator Taylar is more than he wishes to seem.

I especially liked this combination:

Many Jedi viewed the temple as home, but Dooku had no such misplaced sentimentality.

and later

7. UnderCoverJedi

UnderCoverJedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 19, 2006
    A wonderful start! Please PM me when you update.

=D=

8. azizah

Sep 4, 2006
    dianethx ? Dooku is a hard one to crack, I think that something to do with Qui-Gon would be one of the few things to do it. Thanks for reading

Jinngerbread
    ? Thank you. This is all new ground for me, but I am starting to have fun with this.

ratna ? Thanks as always :D

Nimloth ? Thank you, that is good to hear.

Persephone_Kore ? I can?t take credit for the message, it was in the book. I never really thought of it as a tie in to ROTS but you are right.

I especially liked this combination:

Many Jedi viewed the temple as home, but Dooku had no such misplaced sentimentality.

and later

I wondered if anyone would notice that. :p I think Dooku is the master at deceiving himself.

UnderCoverJedi ? Thank you and pm on its way.

&&

Lights flickered on automatically as he stepped out onto the deserted terrace, Dooku waived them off impatiently. He preferred the darkness, there was nothing here to see but fountains and flowers. Had he been in the mood for pleasant scenery his personal preference would have run more toward the magnificent view of the glimmering cityscape, distant and perfect, far below in the valley.

He stood looking out for some time, so deep in his own thoughts that the lightest touch on his cheek startled him out of his brooding stupor. Glow moths. Their tiny insect song and soft whisper motion of their wings suddenly loud in his ear as they swarmed past him, drawn toward the warmth and light of the reception from which he had fled. Dooku had no such inclination. He moved a step further, out of the light into the shadow, the muted talk and laugher from the party inside followed him.

Dooku released a slow breath of uncharacteristic frustration. Inside, Taylar was in top form, full of flattery and sympathy, wit and good humor, flitting about the room from group to group just like one of these damnable insects. Try as he might, Dooku could not get the man alone.

The solution his dilemma was simple, of course. And it was under that pretence that Dooku had come away from the light and laughter to this dark corner.

He looked down at the comlink in his hand and hesitated. It really was a simple matter. The distance to Coruscant was not so great, he could know the truth of the matter in moments. He had but to ask and his former apprentice would willingly tell him everything, Qui-Gon had never denied his master anything that was within his power to give. It was just that it had been a long time.

Far too long, Dooku admitted with a sigh.

And how did one begin that conversation.

It has come to my attention that you?ve been in a bit of trouble lately. Come Padawan, the truth now, were you really responsible for the near destruction of the Temple?

But in all truth, he knew that this was not the real issue. Dooku was no more afraid of a few awkward moments than he was of losing a light saber duel to an initiate. No lack of proper words had ever stood between him and his padawan.

No, it was not the words that Dooku dreaded, it was something else. A subtlety so fine it should have been lost within the intricacies of interstellar communication. But it was there, broken down into parts, hurtled across the galaxy and perfectly recreated in the re-synthesized voice of his apprentice, and Dooku always recognized it immediately even though it was a quality he had never thought to connect to himself. Defeat.

That bastard, Xanatos!

With an effort, he quelled some rather un-Jedi-like emotions, and brought his thoughts into focus. He would not go down that road tonight.

Dooku glanced back inside, if anything the crowd around Taylar had grown.

There were other Jedi he could go to for answers. His own former master, Master Yoda, or his friend, Mace Windu both would readily and easily talk to him. But still he hesitated.

After a long moment, he keyed on his com and entered his identificati

9. ratna

ratna Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 1, 2007
    Totally worth the wait. You've outdid yourself!

Ahhh, what an elegant repast....

FORESHADOWING:
    He preferred the darkness, there was nothing here to see but fountains and flowers.

... ...

He stood looking out for some time, so deep in his own thoughts that the lightest touch on his cheek startled him out of his brooding stupor. Glow moths. Their tiny insect song and soft whisper motion of their wings suddenly loud in his ear as they swarmed past him, drawn toward the warmth and light of the reception from which he had fled. Dooku had no such inclination.

With a touch of tragedy... He moved a step further, out of the light into the shadow, the muted talk and laugher from the party inside followed him.

CHARACTERIZATION!
    He looked down at the comlink in his hand and hesitated. It really was a simple matter. The distance to Coruscant was not so great, he could know the truth of the matter in moments. He had but to ask and his former apprentice would willingly tell him everything, Qui-Gon had never denied his master anything that was within his power to give. It was just that it had been a long time.

It has come to my attention that you've been in a bit of trouble lately. Come Padawan, the truth now, were you really responsible for the near destruction of the Temple?

Tantalizing (and beautifully written!!) hints of the story that will gradually unfold....
    No, it was not the words that Dooku dreaded, it was something else. A subtlety so fine it should have been lost within the intricacies of interstellar communication. But it was there, broken down into parts, hurtled across the galaxy and perfectly recreated in the re-synthesized voice of his apprentice, and Dooku always recognized it immediately even though it was a quality he had never thought to connect to himself. Defeat.

That bastard, Xanatos!

With an effort, he quelled some rather un-Jedi-like emotions, and brought his thoughts into focus. He would not go down that road tonight.

A passage of such subtle sorrow....
    When prompted, Dooku entered the code for Qui-Gon Jinn, it was a long code, but his fingers moved with a deft familiarity across the keypad.

A beat and then confirmation. Active - On assignment. A small green light flashing on screen confirmed the same information.

He closed the link, feeling slightly ridiculous, it was invariably the same. It was true that on a handful of occasions he had felt a sort of hollow justification at the unexpected blink of an anemic yellow alert light. Inactive. Usually followed by contact coordinates for the healer's ward in the Jedi Temple. But these rare occurrences could be measured in the space of days. Or nights, passed with interminable slowness in some far corner of the galaxy.

Entering another code would have allowed Dooku to leave a message or if possible, convey the coordinates necessary for contacting the knight in question. He never did.

Honestly, azizah, your narrative just sizzles with all the right stuff.

The Senator who seems like a buffoon, but isn't:
    "No, no, no, the Master Jedi wants no part of that kdak slime you are serving. Now be off with you, back to the other guests. You are not wanted here."

Senator Taylar brushed past the droid and gave a despairing look to the tray of brightly hued beverages that the droid politely held up for his inspection. He carefully lifted a rather sticky looking pink beverage and gave an elegant shutter of disgust. "You would do well to serve that to Honorary Second Jurist's first wife. It will go quite nicely with that disaster of pink confection she is wearing."

Details that bring the moment and the person alive:
    .... an expensive looking metal flagon covered with intricate carvings and topped with a stamped air-lock seal.

10. Jinngerbread

Jinngerbread Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 2, 2007

It has come to my attention that you?ve been in a bit of trouble lately. Come Padawan, the truth now, were you really responsible for the near destruction of the Temple?

But in all truth, he knew that this was not the real issue. Dooku was no more afraid of a few awkward moments than he was of losing a light saber duel to an initiate. No lack of proper words had ever stood between him and his padawan.

Really interesting glimpse of Dooku here. How long has it been since he has spoken with his apprentice? I must wonder.

When prompted, Dooku entered the code for Qui-Gon Jinn, it was a long code, but his fingers moved with a deft familiarity across the keypad.

A beat and then confirmation. Active - On assignment. A small green light flashing on screen confirmed the same information.

He closed the link, feeling slightly ridiculous, it was invariably the same.

I suppose that's one way to keep cell phones, er comlinks, from going off at inopportune moments in negotiations :p ;)[face_laugh] Interesting idea, I never would have thought of that. Very nice attention to detail.

"To Peace." Dooku raised his glass slightly then lowered it, contemplatively breathing in the volatile complexity of a very fine Corellian Brandy. He waited. He knew the senator was not finished.

"And to the Jedi, may their wisdom guide us and their strength protect us for many generations to come."

Really interesting little situation budding here, and what a toast the Senator made. I'm guessing the Senator picked it wondering if he could get a rise out of Dooku.

I'm really quite enjoying this story, looking forward to more! :)

11. Persephone_Kore

Jan 19, 2006
    For some reason, I can't quite shake the idea that Taylar just tried to poison or drug him. I'm not sure it's exactly likely, but something about Taylar's odd demeanor and increased uncouthness when he showed up on the balcony, followed by bringing out an alternate drink of his own, was setting off alarm bells. So I initially read the relevant paragraph (and then the part about his voice sounding weak, and saying things he wasn't expecting to) as the brandy actually not being how it should have been. I realized on a more careful reading that it was in response to the sudden mention of Qui-Gon, but I can't seem to get rid of the idea that Taylar's up to something. Well, I suppose that's established as his default state, but something more sinister.

It's a great description of nearly snorting your drink, by the way.

I'm tempted to go "awwww" at the idea of Dooku being mad at Xanatos for making Qui-Gon sound defeated. Yes, okay, it's dangerous for a Jedi and all that, it's still kind of sweet.

*thoughtful* The fountains/flowers vs. cityscape touch is a very interesting one. He seems to like gardens all right in the (admittedly limited) sources where they come up together, but on the other hand, he grew up on Coruscant; I find myself wondering if this is another subtle way to emphasize how much his thoughts are turning back there, whether he's willing to call it "home" or not.

12. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    I have to wonder at how long since Dooku had talked to Qui-Gon. Sounds like years.

He closed the link, feeling slightly ridiculous, it was invariably the same. It was true that on a handful of occasions he had felt a sort of hollow justification at the unexpected blink of an anemic yellow alert light. Inactive. Usually followed by contact coordinates for the healer?s ward in the Jedi Temple. But these rare occurrences could be measured in the space of days. Or nights, passed with interminable slowness in some far corner of the galaxy.

Entering another code would have allowed Dooku to leave a message or if possible, convey the coordinates necessary for contacting the knight in question. He never did.

And I thought it was sad how much he recognized defeat in Qui-Gon's voice.

And then the cliffhanger with Qui-Gon being the 'savior' I wonder what's going on.

Very intriguing. I really liked it a lot. You put some great nuances into the story for a great characterization of Dooku.

Looking forward to more!

13. ratna

ratna Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 1, 2007

OMG i missed that the first time around! Brilliant!

14. UnderCoverJedi

Jul 19, 2006
    Really great writing. I agree, it's a very elegant chapter. Nice work! =D=

He stood looking out for some time, so deep in his own thoughts that the lightest touch on his cheek startled him out of his brooding stupor. Glow moths. Their tiny insect song and soft whisper motion of their wings suddenly loud in his ear as they swarmed past him, drawn toward the warmth and light of the reception from which he had fled. Dooku had no such inclination.

15. azizah

Sep 4, 2006
    I don't have the next chapter ready, because I wasted my break doing nothing :_| But I am back at work on it now and I wanted to reply because your comments were great.

ratna
    ? thank you again. The well placed use of pink was a nice touch. :)

.... but if his years as a Jedi had taught Dooku nothing else they had taught him to breathe.

I?m glad you liked this one, because I was really laughing at myself. My Jedi breathe first before they do anything. Sometimes I have to make myself stop.

Jinngerbread
    ? Thank you, I am glad you are enjoying it. Your comment really had me laughing.

I suppose that's one way to keep cell phones, er comlinks, from going off at inopportune moments in negotiations

I got this picture of a council meeting with comlinks going off and Yoda giving everyone dirty looks. And then I started thinking of possible ring tones for each Jedi master?[face_laugh]

Persephone_Kore ? For some reason, I can't quite shake the idea that Taylar just tried to poison or drug him

When I was editing this, I was struck with the same thought, which was Oh dear, the readers are going to think there was something in the drink! Not my original intention, but then I thought it would work because it gives the feeling the senator is up to something, which he is.

Dianethx - It has been awhile since they talked, which I think fits. If Dooku never met Obi-Wan in the years that follow they can?t have been much in the habit of seeing each other. Thank you so much for reading and commenting, it means a lot to me.

UnderCoverJedi ?Thank you very much. I found myself writing in a different tone when I though of Dooku, it?s interesting.

16. azizah

Sep 4, 2006
    Sorry this took so long...

&

?The whole thing is shocking, absolutely shocking. I am utterly appalled at the depths to which sentient beings will sink for money. These are immoral times we live in my friend.?

That Dooku failed to notice an appreciable lack of sincerity behind the Senator?s words can be explained by two reasons, the first was that Taylar, being a politician, was well practiced in the art of expressing emotions he did not feel, the second was that Dooku was not even looking at the Senator.

Feeling old for the first time in his life, he sunk to a nearby bench, hunched forward and wearily contemplated the remains of his half empty glass. If Taylar lacked the surprise that he professed to feel, Dooku made up for it twice over. He was aghast at the level to which he had sunk. He abhorred gossip. And yet here he was not only prepared to tolerate it for his own ends, but actually inviting it.

?I am speechless, absolutely speechless.? The insincerity of this statement proved false immediately by Taylar?s continued rant, ?That the Council would keep a Jedi of your stature in the dark on such matters is incomprehensible.?

The Senator paused and poured himself another drink. ?You will excuse me if I speak candidly for a moment, for you see I know certain things. Odd bits of information tend to come my way every now and again.?

He paused again, flicked an imaginary piece of lint off his sleeve then studied his well manicured fingernails for a moment, as if he were hesitant to touch on a delicate subject. ?I know that you are no ordinary Jedi. And it is your very history which makes you the obvious candidate to deal with such matters, for it has become apparent that even the Jedi are not immune to the temptations of great wealth. But you, my friend, are impeachable. Far be it from me to question the wisdom of the Jedi Council, but were I the fortunate owner of a large quantity of crystalline vertex, you would seem to me the natural choice to safeguard such wealth.?

Taylor would have continued along this vein, but Dooku interrupted, ?I am afraid I don?t follow you Senator.?

But here Dooku hesitated, carefully choosing his next words.

Loyalty was not a quality that Dooku held in much regard. The very base of the sentiment implied trust in a person or principles often over one?s own convictions or judgment, a misguided notion at best. Dooku had found very few things in his life that deserved such esteem, and the Jedi Code was not one of them. And yet an odd loyalty must have existed in Dooku in some trace quantity for he could not allow himself to use the word so ill-favored in that belief system.

?Are you implying that the Jedi have in their... keeping ...a fortune in crystalline vertex?

?Have your fellow Jedi told you nothing?? Taylar was incredulous.

?I, ah hmm? Dooku cleared his throat, ?I have experienced some minor communications difficulties.?

?Faulty equipment?? Taylar shook his head sympathetically, ?Budget constraints, indeed! It?s a sad state of affairs when the treasury of the Republic lines the pockets of corrupt politicians while our protectors are sent into the field lacking the barest essentials. I have half a mind to draft a petition of complaint.?

?Pray don?t trouble yourself Senator. But the vertex??

?According to my sources, the Jedi Council secretly agreed to hold a rather large quantity of crystalline vertex until ownership of the fortune could be peaceable established. I understand there was enough vertex to buy an impressive amount of real estate, if you so desired, possibly an entire system or two if you are not too particular about location.?

The Senator?s nose wrinkled slightly as if he had just discovered an offensive smell, clearly expressing his views regarding less than ideal locations. In a moment he recovered himself and continued.

?Not a bad plan at all if you think about it. That temple of yours is a veritable fortress, not to mention the built in security force.?

?Well, as unbel

17. ratna

ratna Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 1, 2007
    Wow, this is so engrossing and intriguing!

I am completely entrapped by the Senator's narrative. I feel as if I am there!

Love also the subtle interplay between the Senator and Dooku, and Dooku's introspections.

@};- @};-

18. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    Sorry to take so long. I've been having RL issues again.

Great job. I loved the retelling of the JA book and how you twisted it around so that Dooku would think initially that it was a political ploy.
    I think you've really captured Dooku so very well.

Loved this.

How odd that until this very moment he had assumed that the threat had been political in nature. Oh, nothing so bold as an overt attack, nothing that could be tied back to the Senate itself, more likely some twisted offshoot of the greed and corruption that wormed it way throughout the system unchecked. That cancer so insidiously entwined around the Republic it was impossible to cut out without hacking off whole limbs.

But this was something else entirely.

That impudent self-serving whelp had actually stood up to the Jedi. For a moment, Dooku almost admired him for his boldness, but he knew the boy had no vision. At his center he was no different from the politicians and power mongers that Dooku despised. Xanatos was a fool, but a dangerous fool, and better dealt with at once.

Wonderfully done!

19. Persephone_Kore

Jan 19, 2006
    Heh. I keep thinking this means they've been out of touch for a really long time and then having to remind myself that the Jedi Apprentice series doesn't cover nearly as much time as I keep thinking it does. Warning: surprise padawan!

20. jedisakora

jedisakora Jedi Youngling

Apr 14, 2008
    Yay! for new chapter. Your story has me really hooked into it and i can't wait to read the next chapter!! :)

21. UnderCoverJedi

Jul 19, 2006
    How odd that until this very moment he had assumed that the threat had been political in nature. Oh, nothing so bold as an overt attack, nothing that could be tied back to the Senate itself, more likely some twisted offshoot of the greed and corruption that wormed it way throughout the system unchecked. That cancer so insidiously entwined around the Republic it was impossible to cut out without hacking off whole limbs.

But this was something else entirely.

That impudent self-serving whelp had actually stood up to the Jedi. For a moment, Dooku almost admired him for his boldness, but he knew the boy had no vision. At his center he was no different from the politicians and power mongers that Dooku despised. Xanatos was a fool, but a dangerous fool, and better dealt with at once.

Excellent post. =D=

22. azizah

Sep 4, 2006
    Thank you so much for the nominations. I was totally thrilled. @};-

Ratna ? thanks as always. More Dooku introspection adhead!

dianethx ? Thanks. My first idea for a story was that Dooku, who was obviously away from the temple during all of this, would take no interest in it until he happens to overhear Qui-Gon?s name and then he has to find out. It kind of evolved.

Persephone_Kore ? Thanks for reading. I guess I envision they had not really been in touch in a year or two.

Jedisakora ? I am glad you like it. Sorry for the long delay.

UnderCoverJedi ? Thank you! :)

&

A true Jedi is detached. It is a profession that can ill afford to show even the slightest bit of prejudice or partiality, let alone a display of any real emotion, love, hate, anger, fear. A true Jedi knows none of these things. A true Jedi is impartial and unbiased and dispassionate. Devoid of passion.

A real Jedi is nothing of the sort. They are chock full of opinion and bias and preference. They like and dislike, in matters great and small. That they rarely display these emotions has earned them a reputation for aloofness, some might even say cold-heartedness. That they do not allow themselves to be ruled by these sentiments has led many to errantly believe that they do not have them.

Most real Jedi are skillfully adept at keeping these aberrations well hidden.

But Dooku is the master.

To say you could see into the true heart of Dooku by the expression on his face would be to say you could see the bottom of the ocean by looking at its sunlit swells.

And so to cover a petty annoyance with a bland, even pleasant smile is nothing to him.

And he is annoyed. On the surface he is the picture of polite attentiveness, listening carefully to what the Senator has to say, when in all truth he can barely stand to hear another word.

His padawan is once again a master, and Dooku resents having to hear of it from a stranger.

Some small fair-minded corner of Dooku?s psyche acknowledges that the blame for this is entirely his own. But little used to self-reproach his ire soon finds another mark.

He turns a critical eye on his companion and suddenly cannot fathom how he could have found such a ridiculous creature even mildly amusing. Every unfortunate gesture, every turn of phrase the Senator chooses only serves to increase his annoyance. Taylar?s affected mannerisms gall. His tone of voice offends. All at once Dooku finds the man intolerable. Behind a mask of affable complacency Dooku privately catalogs a list of defects that make further conversation unbearable.

It is late. The dictates of civility, which Dooku follows when it suits him, would allow him to feign fatigue and bid the Senator good night. And yet he stays.

A less distracted Dooku should have been shocked to discover the amount of information an outsider has managed to garner on the simple life of a Jedi student, a young boy who in all likelihood has spent most of his days within the sheltered confines of the Jedi Temple.

The name, Obi-Wan Kenobi, means nothing to Dooku.

He is human. Thank the Force for small favors.

Thirteen standard years old. No Jedi prodigy this one.

And it seems the boy was slated, here Dooku almost excuses the Senator?s condescending tone, for the Agricultural Corps on some backwater planet. But somehow Qui-Gon intervened.

Oh Padawan, another unwanted stray.

It is not that Dooku objects to Qui-Gon taking another apprentice. Quite the contrary, he recalls offering the same bit of unwanted advice the last time they met.

The galaxy inexorably moves forward. No man, not even a Jedi, can change the natural order of things. Planets spin, new stars ignite, old stars burnout. And the wisdom of the Jedi is passed from master to learner as it has been for thousands of years. Dooku believes that is as it should be.

His own experience as a master has left him a changed man. To be master to an

23. ratna

ratna Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 1, 2007
    Ok, let's see how many wonderful, subtle, far-reaching little observations are tucked into this beautifully crafted post...

A true Jedi is impartial and unbiased and dispassionate. ... A real Jedi is nothing of the sort.

That was great! Tickled my funny bone.

To say you could see into the true heart of Dooku by the expression on his face would be to say you could see the bottom of the ocean by looking at its sunlit swells.

Nice image!

And he is annoyed. ....

His padawan is once again a master, and Dooku resents having to hear of it from a stranger.

Some small fair-minded corner of Dooku's psyche acknowledges that the blame for this is entirely his own. But little used to self-reproach his ire soon finds another mark.

Displacement of feelings is just as dangerous as attachment ... perhaps even more so, since it hides the true attachments from our view....

With the following rather disastrous result....

It is late. The dictates of civility, which Dooku follows when it suits him, would allow him to feign fatigue and bid the Senator good night. And yet he stays.

A less distracted Dooku should have been shocked to discover the amount of information an outsider has managed to garner on the simple life of a Jedi student, a young boy who in all likelihood has spent most of his days within the sheltered confines of the Jedi Temple.

And later:

The mind of a Jedi is a truly amazing thing. For even in the deepest moments of introspection Dooku remains perfectly aware of his surroundings. ... Or perhaps a shade less than perfectly aware, for as he stands and graciously bids the Senator to precede him through the doorway, there is one small thing that he fails to notice. It might be nothing at all really, a trick of light and shadow. But in the half moment before the lights glimmer on a close observer might notice something truly odd about Taylar's demeanor. Gone is the vacuous expression that normally resides on the Senator's face. His eyes glint with an uncharacteristic intensity, as a predator eyes its prey. Then, in an instant, the dangerous look is smoothed over by the innocuous mask of politician.

Can't wait to see what you have up your sleeve for us as future development with this Taylar character...

But the eyes of his master are very sharp and ever critical, and these watchful eyes have discovered the chink in the armor of perfect Jedi. Although Dooku would not go so far as to use the dreaded word of attachment, he admits that Qui-Gon has perhaps given too much of himself to his padawans. As a master, as it has been his way in all things,

He sees the mote in his Padawan's eye, but not the beam in his own.

Qui-Gon has lived in the moment, saving nothing for the future. And the future has not been kind.

Wow, what a beautiful way to sum up both Qui-Gon's character and his fate. :_|

Even in the fiend Xanatos has become Qui-Gon is sure to see useless fragments of the young boy who was once his apprentice. He will find it difficult to kill such a monster.

Dealing in absolutes, are we...?

I love how Dooku thinks of himself as letting go of the Master-Padawan relationship with Qui-Gon, when in reality he is clinging to it, and indeed clinging to its already no longer appropriate form. By deciding to let Qui-Gon sort out Xanatos by himself, Dooku is clinging to the role of adult teaching a child with a 'tough love' experiential lesson; rather than moving into an adult-to-adult role of elder confidant. Nice, subtle psychology there and very well narrated.

And then you bring us to the glimpse of the future consequences of this attachment on Dooku's part.

It is a cruel thing to be forced to destroy one's own apprentice. But the universe is a cruel place. Dooku never shielded his padawan from that truth.

24. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    This was really lovely. So pompous in his own blindness, Dooku can't even see the flaws in his own personality, ones that will bring him down into darkness. I love his introspection and disdain.

This was great.

The name, Obi-Wan Kenobi, means nothing to Dooku.

He is human. Thank the Force for small favors.

Thirteen standard years old. No Jedi prodigy this one.

And it seems the boy was slated, here Dooku almost excuses the Senator?s condescending tone, for the Agricultural Corps on some backwater planet. But somehow Qui-Gon intervened.

Oh Padawan, another unwanted stray.

The way he's thinking of the strays in Qui's life and how pathetic that he's picked up another one. Never mind that it might be the best thing that's ever happened to Qui.

Great job. Loved it.

25. DountCooku

DountCooku Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 22, 2006
    I enjoy your characterization of Dooku. If you have a PM list for this story, please add me to it. Thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.