main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Glossary for Newbies

Discussion in 'Welcome New Users' started by Skiara , Apr 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Skiara

Skiara ~• RSA FFC •~ star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 5, 2002
    Thanks for the additions, DarthButt! :)

2. Pyrus

Pyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 13, 1998
    :eek: [face_laugh] [face_worried]

3. Son of the Suns

Son of the Suns Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 6, 1999
    Yes, "SMH" should be the next addition. It means "shaking my head". There are supposedly other connotations, but that's the main definition.

As for "LILIM"... I've only seen one person use that, TheFinalMessenger. I have no idea what it means.

EDIT: Pyrus, that line was from my original glossary. I definitely hold those Gonk threads in high esteem, but sadly, I don't think there are many who would say that about them anymore.

4. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    Thanks for the additions, SotS. :)

Daniel, would you add them to the first page? Thanks. :)

It seems I should go through the glossary again soon... (after starting the FFC Trivia Game)

5. Jedi_Daniel

Jedi_Daniel Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 16, 2002
    Yup, I edited it in a few hours ago.

6. Cinnamon_Windu

Cinnamon_Windu Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 10, 2005
    I have a question about the definition of spamming. How can you tell if someone is posting just to up their post count unless they say that's what they're doing?

FYI, I asked the question here because I think everyone needs to know.

7. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    Sometimes it is easy to see and sometimes hard. I don't know of any "hard/fixed" rules, there are more indications. An indication of spamming is for example if someone posts the same topic in different boards again and again or if someone posts lots of really short messages in a very short periode of time (like every minute one short post). But even if you see such a thing, it is not necessarily spam or for only upping their postcount.
    Even posting short posts within a longer periode of time can be concidered spam. In my view it is not easy to define, when exactly posts are spam. The best thing is to watch what the mods do, then you find out what's spam and what's not spam soon. :)

Oh, and +1 that's spam. ;)

Does this help? If not, ask again. :)

8. Cinnamon_Windu

Cinnamon_Windu Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 10, 2005
    It doesn't help. Which do you think I was posting in the pillow fight thread for: to up my post count or to have fun?

Consider:

1. Most of those posts were about whacking people with pillows and therefore not off topic.

2. None of those posts were double.

3. All of those posts were at least one minute apart. (Not that they could have been less than a minute apart.)

4. I have no reason to post just to up my post count. At this point, I could join any group that requires a certain post count for joining without having to increase my post count.

Also, I post a lot in the game threads in SWC. When I do, I always wait until someone else has posted before posting in the same thread again. But some of those posts are close together, too. [face_worried]

9. Jedi_Daniel

Jun 16, 2002
    CW, where do I specifically name you as upping your post count? If you read my post I say it's a growing problem with everyone in that thread, I can cite example where two people would post pretty much the same thing for pages on end, whether you were or not is not the issue, my post was to everyone. I specifically say that I don't assume if it's on purpose or deliberate - intentionally or unintentionally - but it is a growing problem with the direction of the thread itself.

I already warned you not to take this issue into other threads and bring them off topic (that includes threads outside WNU). As I said, if you have any problems with what I said, you?re welcomed to bring them to me through PM and I?ll be happy to discuss them with you.

10. JediSenshi

JediSenshi Jedi Master

Oct 19, 2001
    What do NRW and NRM stand for. And what do they mean.

11. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    I don't know what it means on these boards. In Germany NRW stands for NordRhein-Westfalen and for NRM I found "Normal Response Mode", but I'm not sure if that's the right "translation".

Where have you found these? And in which context?

12. Jedi_Daniel

Jun 16, 2002
    Hmm, I'm seeing a few results Searching for the term. I have National Retcon Week... which isn't making sense to me. I'm seeing those terms used a lot in Literature though... I'm at a bit of a loss.

13. DARTH-SHREDDER

DARTH-SHREDDER Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 6, 2005
    I think "QED" needs to be added to the list. I've never known what it meant and I still don't, and you see it a lot, so...

14. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    It's a latin abbreviation for "quod erat demonstrandum" (what I wanted to proof). :)

And thanks for the addition. :)

15. DARTH-SHREDDER

DARTH-SHREDDER Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 6, 2005
    I noticed my suggestion wasn't added. [face_whistling]

I don't want to sound pricky or anything, but I do think that QED should be added to the glossary, given how much it's used around the boards...

16. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    The first time I read QED was in your post above. Where do you read it that often?

17. Jensaarai1219

Jensaarai1219 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2006
    according to urbandictionary:

1) From the Latin 'quod erat demonstrandum', a mathematical term meaning that a proof is complete.
    2) A mathematician's way of saying "OH SNAP *****!"

"So you see, by this simple proof, your theory is wrong and mine is correct. QED!"

I'm not sure if that is right, though. It does seem to work for most of the cases I've seen it in.

18. Darrkwolff

Darrkwolff Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 15, 2004
    A couple more to add to the list.

FTL = For The Lose (Loss). A recent compliment to FTW.

NIAWYC = (I'll PM this one to you ;) )

Have a day! [face_plain]

:p

19. morrison85

morrison85 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 13, 2005
    Good work skiara

20. FaithInTheDarkSide

FaithInTheDarkSide Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 30, 2006

What is the meaning of NIAWYC???

21. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    Jensaarai, I think you're right. I know QED from my math study and it is used for "quod eram demonstrandum". :)

Darrkwolff, I'm curious as well, what that means, but... if you can't post it here, I'm not sure if the abbreviation is allowed to be posted...

22. Darrkwolff

Aug 15, 2004
    Oh it's totally within TOS.

But it was the subject of a thread in the JC Community that had everyone scratching their heads as to the meaning. Fun for all. ;)

23. Jensaarai1219

Jensaarai1219 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2006
    Oh, I think we're past it now. It was given away in the thread. There's another acronym mentioned in that one that I'm not sure about, but if it is what I think it is, it's not at all appropriate. Of course it might not be.

24. Darrkwolff

Aug 15, 2004
    Yeah, but it was still fun... ;)

25. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    Ah, I see! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.