main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Glowing Yellow Eyes

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by obidaman99, Jan 23, 2016.

1. obidaman99

obidaman99 Jedi Grand Master star 1

Aug 12, 1999
    Still stuck on two viewings and now snowed in on the east coast. I've been wondering about dark side users and glowing yellow eyes. We never see Darth Vader's eyes in the OT until he has already turned back to the light, and the only other dark side user Emperor Palpatine, has glowing yellow eyes all the time. When the prequels were made, Darth Maul's eyes glowed yellow every time he was on screen. Palpatine's did not glow yellow until after his run in with Mace Windu, and lastly, we only saw the effect on Anakin after his attack of the separatists and when he was being burned and yelling at Obi-Wan he hated him after their Mustafar duel. So this leads to my question, should Kylo Ren have had glowing yellow eyes when he killed his father or maybe during the struggle with Rey and Finn after he was shot by Chewbacca and punching himself in the stomach? Do you think we will see glowing yellow eyes in the future when it comes to dark side users? Snoke may be putting on a front and the hologram may not be his real appearance, but I didn't notice the effect on him either. Even if you throw out the prequels, I think the glowing yellow eyes effect has to happen to our dark side users at some point to be consistent with ROTJ. Would love to hear what everybody thinks about this. If this did happen and I missed it, I better get out for that third viewing soon!

2. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    Given that the previous films were not consistent themselves with how it 'worked', I'm not sure it has much relevance to the ST.

3. Jango723

Jango723 Jedi Master star 1

Jul 16, 2011
    I don't think Dooku ever had yellow eyes. Which always bugged me a bit.

-Jedi Joe- likes this.
  4. Heroic BB-8

Heroic BB-8 Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 29, 2015
    i certainly hope so.

could anyone refresh my memory whether yellow eyes were part of the visible corruption in the Old Republic games?

edit: also, (assuming they do plan to do so) it's possible Kylo Ren hasn't yet fallen far enough/reached the proper Dark Side affinity to have them.

5. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    the yellow eyes are a sith thing. no sith in the st. dooku's eyes glowed yellow in tcw.

[​IMG]

Wildcatbarry, AmySolo and SkooterNB like this.
  6. obidaman99

Aug 12, 1999
    I agree they could let it drop totally. I will say that Palpatine and Darth Maul both had no shot at redemption. They were clear cut evil and nobody was trying to turn them back. They crossed a line and they were totally consumed by the dark. I still argue that Palpatine was hiding his true face and that the force lightning is not what necessarily changed his appearance (possible evidence in Matthew Stover's ROTS novelization). Anakin's fate was obviously in question as he was redeemed in the end, but once he put the mask on, we don't know what his eyes looked like the next 20-23 years before the redemption. I'll argue it was somewhat consistent. Then again, I can't explain Farkus in A Christmas Story. :)

7. -Jedi Joe-

-Jedi Joe- Jedi Master star 2

May 6, 2013
    I think the yellow eyes were an indicator of complete immersion in the dark side. The user only exhibited them when there were no regrets or inhibitions to their ultimate actions.

Remember that Kylo was extremely conflicted about killing his own father. It was something he didn't want to do, but felt that he needed to do it to complete Snoke's mission. There were definite regrets.

However, when Vader massacred the Separatist leaders, he was killing people he despised during the entire war. He was acting in revenge and hate against politicians he never had respect for. Contrast that to the march on the Temple and the slaughter of the younglings, when his eyes were blue instead of yellow. When he attacked the Jedi, he was in a similar mental state to Kylo Ren confronting Han. He had to kill people he knew, loved, and built relationships with; ultimately something he knew in his heart was wrong.

I could be completely wrong, but that's what it seems like to me.

8. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
    they aren't sith!

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  9. obidaman99

Aug 12, 1999
    I thought this phenomenon was a side effect of using the dark side. I never considered it was more of a Sith "calling card" as thejeditraitor is suggesting. This leads to what is the difference between being a Sith and being a Knight of Ren?

11-4D and S2N2 like this.
  10. SkooterNB

SkooterNB Jedi Grand Master star 2

Mar 4, 2005
    There are no Sith here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thejeditraitor likes this.
  11. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
    the sith have different arts and rituals. they were especially evil. the knights of ren and snoke just use the dark side.

[​IMG]

Wildcatbarry, BigAl6ft6 and AmySolo like this.
  12. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    -Jedi Joe-: I think you're right. You could probably say that yellow eyes indicates that they're on a dark side high.

11-4D, S2N2, panki and 2 others like this.
  13. Stoneymonster

Stoneymonster Force Ghost star 4

May 8, 2002
    The Dark Side. Not even once.

14. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    I was surprised that Kylo Ren did haven't them after killing his father. Maybe there`s something to that, then. Hmm.

Lets see: Darth Maul had them in TPM, of course. The Clone Wars showed us that his brother Savage Opress had them, too. Darth Tyranus had them in the TCW series, but not in the movies, which was odd. Not sure if Asajj Ventress had them, though. Darth Sidious showed them off in both ROTS and ROTJ. Am I missing someone?

I see the Sith Eyes as the complete and total commitment to the Dark Side — the line crossed, where the possessor has totally commited and allowed it to fully consume him or her, and thus giving its wielder the destructive power to use. Without embracing it, the user would never fully grow strong with it. It was the line that Anakin had to cross, and it was the same for Ben, too.

There are two things worth noting, though. Not only is it quick to attain this power, but the drawbacks in doing so makes its wielder murderously insane. Hence the outcomes of both Anakin's and Ben's fall to the Dark Side.

Ricardo Funes likes this.
  15. obidaman99

Aug 12, 1999
    My opinion is that Lucas used this as a visual cue in the prequels to tie the characters to Palpatine's appearance in Return of the Jedi. Even if the current production team has made a conscience effort to distance themselves from the prequels, the ultimate villain in episode VI displayed this trait so I'm not sure they have totally abandoned it just yet for VIII, IX or beyond.

11-4D likes this.
  16. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    He had yellow eyes! He had yellow eyes! God help me he had yellow eyes!!!

Grover dill. Scott Farkus' crummy little toadie!!!

Randy lay there like a slug. It was his only defense!!!

In our galaxy, you were either a toadie, a Sith, or a nameless rabble of victims!!!

17. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    I wouldn't worry about it. It's one of the coolest things about the Prequels, not that it isn't an OT thing, as well. Maybe Kylo not having them will play a part in the next film. Maybe there was some remorse after killing his father (his reaction clearly tells us that there was a moment there, at least) and the confrontation with Finn and Rey was his way of proving to himself that he wasn't regretting his actions.

Having said that, maybe Dooku not having them in the Prequels was key to his character, too. It might be that he wasn't fully devoted to the Dark Side, and being a full fledged Jedi at one time it might have been harder for him to fully commit. Maybe Dooku, like Kylo Ren himself, was mentally conflicted and was never a true Sith Lord because of it. I know that he was called one anyway, but this might have been another reason why Palpatine wanted to be rid of him as soon as he did.

18. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    I don't think he had the "dark side eyes" because he still has such a deep conflict and, figuratively speaking, his soul isn't entirely stained yet. I recall the novelization said that, if anything, killing Han only increased his doubt and insecurity, maybe even pushing him closer to the light
    Perhaps if he solidifies himself more on the dark side, we might see that

Ezon Pin and -Jedi Joe- like this.
  19. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Maybe Palpatine was doing something to the dark side that caused it to turn people's eyes yellow?

20. Marshall132

Marshall132 Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 26, 2015

Yeah he wasn't fully committed to the dark side cause in this movie. If we see him again in the next movie with the eyes we will understand that all that confliction has been washed away in the darkside of the force. Though I'm not sure thats what snoke wants since he talked about both light side and the dark side of the force. Maybe he wants a 75% dark - 25% light split so you gain the dark side power but do become so irrationally evil as alot of Dark siders can by being drowned in the power of the dark side of the force.

21. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    How the eyes work has not been fully consistent.

Palpatine's eyes were normal most of the time prior to his fight with Mace, except when he confronted Maul in TCW. That is an exception as his eyes were yellow then too. So irlt was definitely something that could "turn on and off." Probably a reflection of how immersed in the Dark Side he was.

Maul's eyes never "turned off." Nor did Savage's. And in the TV show Star Wars: Rebels, there are three Inquisitors that have been shown so far, two of which have the yellow eyes full time, and the third - who was based on TFA concept art - has gray eyes and is never shown with yellow eyes.

Similarly, Asajj Ventress was never shown with yellow eyes.

Dooku was not shown with yellow eyes in the films, but in TCW there are a few times when they crop up, but other times they appear normal.

Same with Vader. In ROTS, his eyes seem to go back and forth. They are yellow when killing the CIS council, they are normal when Padme arrives and throughout the fight with Obi-Wan, until he gets his limbs cut off. In TCW, Anakin also turns temporarily, when Son shows him visions of the future, and his eyes seem to turn permanently, until Father wipes his mind.

Talzin isn't a Sith, but she does use Dark Side magic, but she is never shown to have yellow eyes.

So there's no real pattern. Yellow eyes are definitely a sign of intense/immersion in the Dark Side, but for some like Maul and Palpatine (post Mace fight) they are yellow full time. For some, they switch back and forth, and for others like Asajj or 5th Brother, they never turn yellow at all.

With Snoke and Kylo, they haven't been shown to have yellow eyes either. Maybe they will never have them, or maybe they aren't sufficiently enraged when we see them.

As far as the Palpatine mask theory, that was an iffy theory under the old canon, as different sources seemed to differ on the explanation, but now the Star Wars databank seems to debunk that idea, describing Palpatine's face as being scarred by Force lightning.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  22. Rey_

Rey_ Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 30, 2015
    I tend to think Dooku was more of an opportunist as opposed to a fully fledged sith. Had the Republic/Jedi offered him a better deal, I think he would have switched sides.

23. obidaman99

Aug 12, 1999
    TaradosGon's post made me start keeping score.

Of the 12 characters mentioned including those mentioned from the two animated series:

Seven dark side users have at least had the yellow eyes at some point - Palpatine, Vader, Maul, Savage, Dooku (animated), Grand Inquisitor, and Seventh Sister.

Five have not - Ventress, Fifth Brother, Mother Talzin, SL Snoke, and Kylo Ren.

It seems more likely than not that we will see the effect in future films, but I wouldn't wager on it.

The Legions of Lettow likes this.
  24. Jonipoon

Jonipoon Jedi Master star 4

Apr 22, 2014
    Dooku despised both the Jedi Order and the Republic. He was more of an aristocrat that supported dictatorship over democracy, so no deal would work for him as long as the system remained the same.

Nevertheless, Dooku never truly embraced the ways of the Sith as he didn't follow the rule of the two. He took on his own apprentices and actually wanted to overthrow Palpatine.

25. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I go with it's just a Sith thing but, hey, the dark side is full of different tangents of mysticism so one's yellow eye millage may vary on a case by case basis.