main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Glowing Yellow Eyes

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by obidaman99, Jan 23, 2016.

1. Homergreg

Homergreg Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 31, 2015
  2. obidaman99

obidaman99 Jedi Grand Master star 1

Aug 12, 1999
    I think regardless of the quality of each film, I like consistency in Star Wars. The missing fox fanfare was out of place for instance (I know, a subject for another thread) this time around. I think the gold crawl, the John Williams scores, the "rhyming" that Lucas talks about, the Ben Burtt sound of a blaster or lightsaber, the appearance of both the original droids, etc. etc. etc. are all important to me as I'm absorbing each new chapter. I think the yellow eyes should be used for emphasis only and perhaps should appear in Kylo only during his darkest moment of the sequel trilogy. If that isn't the murder of his father, I don't know what is, but maybe we haven't seen him at his worst just yet. I agree the effect can be used to overkill and they should keep it to a minimum, but I think it is something we should see again if only at a pivitol moment of VIII or IX.

3. obidaman99

obidaman99 Jedi Grand Master star 1

Aug 12, 1999
    By the way, enjoying MidKnighT's Scott Farkus inclusion in the discussion. I'm sure if we ever saw the Bumpass clan, they would have had the eyes as well.

4. JawaDog

JawaDog Jedi Padawan star 1

Feb 2, 2016
    So are Jawa's dark side users?

darklordoftech likes this.
  5. Heroic BB-8

Heroic BB-8 Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 29, 2015
    wait, doesn't Lego Kylo Ren have The Eyes? anyone have one and can confirm? how about the other Kylo figurines?

6. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    many beings have yellow eyes naturally. yellow eyes in the sith show their evil. kylo never has yellow eyes.... and no not his lego figure either.

7. MS1

MS1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    The yellow eyes were pretty effective. When Anakin changed you could tell he had turned and there was no coming back (yes I know, ultimately proved to be wrong) but essentially different person different character. The lack of anything similar from Kylo after killing Han didn't portray the same enormity of the situation.

8. morrison85

morrison85 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 13, 2005
    in comics (legends) cade skywalker got yellow eyes when he used the dark sided and so did quinlanvos in the original clone wars comics.

9. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015

Randy lay there like a slug, it was his only defense. I LOVE THAT LINE!

10. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    In fact, Sith having yellow eyes originates with a chimpanzee who had yellow eyes.

11. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    True. In fact, the idea of Sith using red lightsabers also originates with that chimp:

[​IMG]

12. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    No, Vader's red lenses were nothing more than a product of the special effects used to hide Prowse's eyes. McQuarrie's 1975 Vader concept art had black lenses. The concept of the dark side effecting the eyes of its users originates with them using chimpanzee eyes in the original version of ESB. The chimpanzee's eyes happened to be yellow, although it didn't show up that way in the film because the hologram is monochromatic. For McDiarmid's make-up in ROTJ, they copied the make-up that the woman wore for the hologram scene in ESB, but getting a chimpanzee to make human facial expressions proved impossible, so instead they just made McDiarmid's eyes yellow.

13. Howard Hand

Howard Hand Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2015
    I'm glad Kylo's eyes didn't turn yellow. It would have been super-tacky and detracted from his performance. It wasn't done consistently in the previous films anyway.

morrison85 and darklordoftech like this.
  14. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    [face_rofl][face_rofl][face_rofl][face_rofl][face_rofl]

I can't stop laughing. Thank you Jabba.

15. JabbatheHumanBeing

Jul 14, 2015
    Darth Simian wants his royalty check, George.

16. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    JabbatheHumanBeing See my response to Vorax's post for a complete history of "dark side eyes."

JabbatheHumanBeing likes this.
  17. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014

No real life back in the 1970's and early 80's is something different, and thats behind the scenes. Your view does not explain Star Wars: Rebels Vader using red lenses nor ROTS vision inside the helmet obviously being red. Besides, only by 1999's TPM did it become common for all Sith Lords to have yellow and red "Sith eyes" and there was a change in the EU to accommodate this. So the red lenses would make sense representing Vader's "Sith Eyes". But Vader using different helmets and lenses could because his eyes were sensitive or he upgraded or made do with replacement parts. Underneath the helmet, Vader has his "Sith Eyes", so they're there since established by ROTS.

18. JabbatheHumanBeing

Jul 14, 2015
    Saw it. Just when I thought I knew everything to know about Star Wars, I learn something else (and then the actor that played Boshek is found)!

I've have also been waiting years for the right opportunity to use the chimp with lightsaber gif, and you provided that for me. Thank you! I am forever in your debt. :)

19. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    My point was that Vader's red lenses and "Sith eyes" are unrelated concepts. Vader's lenses are mechanical, so it doesn't make any sense for them to be affected by Vader using the dark side.
    No problem. I'm very glad to have helped.

20. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
    wtf are you arguing about? the red lenses and yellow sith eyes are completely unrelated.

21. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    That's my point. I'm arguing with someone who insists that they're related.

thejeditraitor likes this.
  22. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    I think they should have at least given him the eyes during the final fight... He seemed pretty engulfed in the dark side at that point. Totally a continuity error.

23. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
    no.

24. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    ye

25. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012