main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

GL's way of making movies.... (OT)

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by Aprentize, Feb 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aprentize

Aprentize Jedi Master star 4

Jan 15, 2002
    ey, no need to stop. i just said thanks for the ideas, though if there are more, i wont complain!!

2. foxbatkllr

foxbatkllr Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 27, 2001
    Plz. No more 13 and 14 year olds criticizing GL. Thx.

3. MasterZap

MasterZap Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 11, 2002
    Okay then. GL can't direct. I'm 35. Hah.

/Z

4. Ki-Bara-Mundi

Ki-Bara-Mundi Jedi Master star 6

Nov 27, 2000
    He can direct, but he's not a starving film student trying to break into the industry anymore. ;) :p

5. Darth_SnowDog

Darth_SnowDog Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 10, 2001
    I'm 28... I saw the original trilogy in the theater... and I still say Lucas can't direct actors.

6. Lone_Padawan

Lone_Padawan Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 20, 2001
    No 13 and 14 year olds eh?
    Not your first sign of ageism Foxbatlr

7. Jedi_Cougar

Jedi_Cougar Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 14, 2001
    GL can't direct. This is painfully clear in Ep.2

He is good at ideas and whatever else. The Washington Post's Entertainment section headline BEFORE Ep.2 was released in theaters was "Force Fizzle. George Lucas used to have a story to tell in a Galaxy far, far away."

He also royally sucks as a screenwriter.

8. AWB1989

AWB1989 Jedi Master star 5

Jul 3, 2002
    Yah he can't write dialogue.

9. NickLong

NickLong Jedi Master star 4

Sep 29, 2000
    I'd like to see all those who are slating Lucas do better than he has.

anyway,

Nick "Call me when you're got your own film companies and a ranch named after one of your best known characters" Long

10. PadawanNick

PadawanNick Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 6, 2001
    Personally, the one trait about Lucas' filmmaking style that dissapoints me the most is the ad hoc way he produces the film.

We often talk here about how early and thorough planning are critical to producing a quality movie, but we see Lucas changing, cutting and adding major scenes and details throughout the production process, even in the final months. I think the films, especially AOTC, suffer as a result of this.

His company ILM is famed for it's visual effects and his own Star Wars movies are a showcase for it's abilities. Then you see a buch of of these scenes added at the last minute, that have sub-par visuals and it reflects on his entire organization. (Anakin's private visit in Palps office and the Grand Corridor compositing come to mind.)

I guess these kinds of changes are easy to do when you've got a ton of money and resources and digital artists to paint over your mistakes, but it doesn't translate well as an example for the film industry to follow. It can be downright wasteful. How much time and creative effort was spent on filming, processing rotoscoping, compositing, etc. scenes that were later changed to something entirely different. I know that most films end up with deleted scenes and various elements left on the cutting room floor, but it just seems rampant in the production of the last couple Star Wars movies. If this whole story exisited back in the 70's and he had 20-something years between ROTJ and TPM, couldn't all these story details been ironed out prior to production?

Anyway, just my take (or rant) on the whole Star Wars production process.

Have fun.

11. yodafett999

yodafett999 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 24, 2000
    George comes from the Hitchcock school of actor interaction. He hires his actors for a particular job and it is their job to understand the character. I agree with this and treat my actors the same way. It's the same way that many of the great actors never wanted the director giving them motivation or insight because they should be building that character up for themselves. If anything he sucks at picking actors who want everything spelled out for them.

12. foxbatkllr

foxbatkllr Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 27, 2001
    Okay then. GL can't direct. I'm 35. Hah.

While I disagree with you, your opinion is certainly more credible to me and probably more credible than my own opinion. Call it "ageism" if you want.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.