GM Support Hotline

Discussion in 'Games: RPG & Miniatures' started by Koohii, Mar 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Koohii Force Ghost

star 5
    Having problems with your campaign? Please type in your conumdrum with as much detail as possible, and one of our friendly, courteous fellow gameplayers will reply as soon as we finish snarfing our cola.
    Inquiries for stats, adventure plot help, and how to deal with troublesome players are just the beginning of where we can be of assistance.
  2. Rogue_Thunder FanForce CR, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Chapter Rep
    star 6
    Awesome idea, Koohii. I'll try and see if there's anything I can come up with.
  3. FlareStorm Force Ghost

star 6
    are there any solo or one player SW adventures, any system?
  4. Koohii Force Ghost

star 5
    Yes!
    WEG published "Black Sands of _____", which is a solo module for either GM + 1 player or just player as GM.
    I believe they had at least one other solo adventure.
  5. FlareStorm Force Ghost

star 6
    Black Sands Of Socorro? Nope, I'm looking at it and it looks like just a sourcebook for the system, no adventures.
  6. Jedi_Dajuan Admin: FanForce and Games

Administrator
    star 6
  7. Koohii Force Ghost

star 5
    Are you sure? I was certain there was an adventure in there.
    There is one called "Jedi's Honor" which is definately a solo-adventure.
    You can always tame down an existing adventure by either extending the timeline or decreasing the number of opponents a bit. Not sure how well that would work.
  8. FlareStorm Force Ghost

star 6
    Jedi's Honor seems to be separate, and nothing to do with Black Sands of Scarface.

That's the kind of thing I was looking for, so thread may stay open
  9. FlareStorm Force Ghost

star 6
    So I'm doing this project and I have this weird monster, and I don't feel comfortable with Challenge Ratings. Its huge, however it can't move under its own power (it just floats on the ocean and eats stuff from reefs) Right now I have it at 5, but I have no idea

Its in D&D and I have GURPS stats, if someone wants to convert it to SW or anything else, I might end up using it :)

Desc: its a 20 foot long, five segmented worm shaped thing with 3 radial arms per segment.

Size/Type: Huge Animal
    Hit Dice: 9d8+48 (79 hp)
    Initiative: +0
    Speed: 0 ft. (0 squares)
    Armor Class: 10 (-2 size, +2 natural), touch 12, flat-footed 10
    Base Attack/Grapple: +6/+14
    Attack: Slam +4 (1d8/20)
    Full Attack: 2 Slams +4 (1d8/20)
    Space/Reach: 15 ft./10 ft.
    Special Attacks: Improved Grab
    Special Qualities: Low-light vision
    Saves: Fort +11, Ref +0, Will +7
    Abilities: Str 10, Dex 5, Con 20, Int 2, Wis 12, Cha 6
    Skills: Climb -8, Hide -11, Jump -8, Listen +11, Spot +3, Swim +8
    Feats: Alertness, Diehard, Endurance, Toughness
    Environment: Warm aquatic
    Organization: Solitary
    Challenge Rating: 5?
    Treasure: None
    Alignment: Always neutral
    Advancement: 10-11 HD (Gargantuan); 12-15 HD (Colossal)
    Level Adjustment: ?
  10. Glass_Onion Jedi Knight

star 2
    Anyone got a link to where I can find a good story to run through for a first campaign? Just got the Saga Source Book and wanna get started but spend some time on the first story.

Thanks in advance!
  11. Koohii Force Ghost

star 5
    I find cheezy movies to be a good source of adventure ideas.
    There's also the "Adventure Ideas Go Here" thread which has a bunch of ideas (not ALL of them are mine) that can be either 1-shot adventures or full on campaigns.
  12. Koohii Force Ghost

star 5
    Does an ISD Interdictor carry TIE fighters? Other shuttles/starfighter scale vehicles? How many of what?
    Normally, they're part of a fleet, but I was wondering what they actually have as default.

One of the things I find most annoying about D6 books is that they don't always say. Yes, ISD has 6 squads of TIEs, and some shuttles, and the VSD has 2 squads, but for most entries, they don't provide details. Anyone know?
  13. Rogue_Thunder FanForce CR, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Chapter Rep
    star 6
    According to Starships of the Galaxy (Saga rules) they carry 24 starfighters. No shuttles. :)
  14. Aragorn327 Manager Emeritus

star 6
  15. FlareStorm Force Ghost

star 6
    Katana's problem made me think of this:

GM I played with a while ago (D&D) used to have us do this every adventure/session/natural break point:

Fill out an index card and answer the following, requesting only a small sentence or blurb for each:

1) What did you like about the adventure/session
    2) What did you dislike about the adventure/session
    3) What did you like about the group, play setting, or anything else meta
    4) What did you dislike about the group, play setting, or anything else meta
    5) Any other tips or comments to make the experience more enjoyable

He'd collect the cards and read them at home. No names on the card, so they were anonymous (but I'm sure he knew our handwriting). But it was cool that he always kept the contents to himself. You could tell he did use the suggestions, he was a great GM and always got better.
  16. Katana_Geldar Force Ghost

star 8
    Not a bad idea, Flare, a lot of people are rather timid at being honest with the GM after a session that didn't go so well. And a lot of GMs sometimes need to be told that the "same old same old" isn't impressing anyone.
  17. Angel_Blue Force Ghost

star 2
    I'm currently running a campaign with a setting of my own invention. The problem is, I'm a first-time GM and I'm not really sure how to keep my players interested. I'm trying to draw them in with interesting NPCs and creative settings for encounters, and I'm trying to think of more. Does anyone have any ideas they could share with a beginning GM?

Also, I'm looking for a way to make my encounters more dangerous. The thing is, I'm terrible with numbers, so I don't really use a system with attributes like constitution, dexterity, or bonuses and such. At first I thought that the latitude this might actually help me in to long run, but I feel like my campaign is starting to suffer because of it. Any ideas on how I might deal with this.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give.
  18. Koohii Force Ghost

star 5
    I sometimes introduce a super-tough NPC to tag along with the party for a while, then have him/her get stomped in the first 2 rounds by the nasty villain while the party deals with the minions. Have the party finish off the last minions just in time to see their friend/mentor/whatever get stomped into the ground (don't have to kill him/her off--just take him out of the fight and spend the next several months in recovery).

Get a really good, intimidating description together for your next villain. Practice saying it out loud for a bit until you really have it sounding right. You may feel silly, but that rehearsal can to a lot. Roll your eyes in the back of your head. Smile really wide to the point where it's almost painful.

Give villains a distinctive voice. grate your vocal chords, project your voice, shift to a deeper tone... Look how effective James Earl Jones was with a microphone in a diving mask... Or Eartha Kitt was with just her voice in Emperor's New Groove.

Don't know what theme or flavor you're working with.
    Try some atmospheric effects. All the streetlights suddenly flicker and go out. Water suddenly turns murky, changes color, etc. Look at tv show "Supernatural" for some good atmosphere effects.

Pop you knuckles loudly, stretch your neck, and roll a whole bunch of dice behind a screen during combat. Make it look like you're really thinking before you deliver your dramatic description of the results of your "random" dice roll.
  19. FlareStorm Force Ghost

star 6
    Make use of terrain and obstacles in combat to spice things up. Just like SW - Droid factories, lava, asteroid fields, useless laser doors...
  20. Blithe Force Ghost

star 4
    You can go to Wizards.com for severa free adventures for D&D or SW settings. Even though you've got your own system, don' let that hold you back from gathering resources for ideas. In many cases, a lot of the great one shot adventures or adventure ideas from various websites can easily be adapted to your purposes. For the most part, all you have to do is replace various thugs, stormtroopers, goblins, orcs, etc. with your own baddies. I'd also recommend picking up a used copy of West End Game "Instant Adventures" book. While it is for Star Wars, if you're playing in even a remotely Sci-Fi or Sci-Fantasy setting, a lot of the adventure or adversary ideas are still great to use elsewhere.

Always remember to have the bad guys hide behind cover during a fire fight. If you've designed any combined fire rules of your own, put them to use. Squads concentrating their fire can make even the weakest cronies a force to be reckoned with.

When you work on designing a credible villain, one thing I keep in mind is a hero. I think hero. . . but a lazy hero. Of course, that's why he finds himself as a villain. In that sense, he has SOME redeemable qualities about him. That might be a lead-in to an adventure plot where the main villain tries to sway the heroes to cause and corrupt them. Also, any rivals the party has should be at least at their level of power, or slight higher. Their objectives should be a little greater, too. If the players find themselves with some great equipment, be sure to give their rivals and adversaries some great stuff, too. A nemesis should be essentially be everything the best of your group has, and slightly more. It'll keep you group on their toes and constantly gunning at their rivals to try and keep up.

Chase scenes almost ALWAYS work to keep the gamers' blood pumping. Players love it, so have daring escapes, rescues, or arrests, and bounties to often take place on boat, car, speeder, horseback, fighrer, starship, and etc. if at all possible.

Lastly, if you decide taht you don't want the hassle of designing your own game system, feel free to ask for advice on what system to try and use next. Not all of them are particularly math intensive. We'll also be sure to help you get used to the new games of course. We don't mind a bit, here.
  21. Rogue_Thunder FanForce CR, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Chapter Rep
    star 6
    Ok, I'm running a campaign set in the earliest days of the republic... think 24,000+ years BBY. Now I don't have a problem with the setting from a story standpoint, but a technological one. Now I know Jedi will be using ancient lightsabers (possibly even just durasteel swords for the lower-ranking Jedi), and blasters are a rarity, hyperdrives will be limited to x10 at the highest end, but is there anything else I'm missing? Think I should halve the damage of primitive blasters, or ships fire slugthrowers or are equipped with railguns? Any ideas anyone wants to throw out would be awesome.

Remember I have no problem with this from a story standpoint I just want to know which technology I should/shouldn't include or modify for the era.
  22. FlareStorm Force Ghost

star 6
    Lasers would pre-date blasters, but I don't see it making much difference mechanically.

Those ancient lightsabers are in one of the d20 books, Power of the Jedi I think.

Can't find any info on when repulsors came into wide use, but it must be out there somewhere. Something to think about
  23. Koohii Force Ghost

star 5
    I was under the impression that lightsabers were supposed to predate blasters (kinda like swords predate guns). That way, it used to take over a decade of devoted training to be a proficient warrior, until the era of the blaster changed everything.
    You can also adjust the scale of travel by changing hours to days. 1st ed SW had hyperdrive travel listed in days. 2nd ed changed that to hours to keep with the pace of the movies.
    Rail-guns for ship mounted weapons would be good. Also drones instead of torpedoes or missiles. No hyper-space capable snub-fighters--they all need carriers (z-95 headhunters, Delta-7 Aethersprite fighters, etc)
    Also, armor should be bulky and cumbersom compared to "modern" equivelents. Not sure if you're using D6 or D20, so won't bother with stats for stuff.
    You might also include the LightFoil from the Tapani sector. It was a weak lightsaber that was unrelyable and "dangerous", mass produced by a corporation instead of custom made by a Jedi Knight.
  24. Rogue_Thunder FanForce CR, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Chapter Rep
    star 6
    Hmm, you just gave me a story idea, Koo. I can't say because my players post here though. Feel free to PM me though if you want to know.

Repulsors are something to think about too... Maybe ships land and take off with attitude thrusters, or even need a running start like our planes. Maybe even massive disposable booster rockets for larger vessels?

The cool thing about this era is maybe the PC's are responsible for the discovery of a lot of these things...

Now what planets do you think would be a part of the embryonic Republic? I think it would basically be Coruscant, the Corellian system, Duros and maybe a double handful of others. I thought one of the neat aspects of Star Trek Enterprise (one of the few) was watching as the crew brought familiar races into the fold of their future federation. I think it would be kind of cool to have the party become involved in negotiations with the Wookies, the Rodians, the Twi'leks to bring them into the Republic as new signatories. What planets do you think would not be aligned with the Republic, or perhaps part of pre-existing alliances that pre-date the Republic? I have a few ideas, but if anyone knows of any that'd like to throw in their opinion.
  25. Jedi_Matt Force Ghost

star 4
    Berx, sorry if you've tried this already, but have you had a look at the Galactic Republic page on the Wook?

The 'Early History' section gives quite a bit of info.

Personally I think blasters pre-date lightsabers, based on the fact that I think it'd be easier to find a use for a naturally harvested gas as opposed to designing something quite as delicate and precise as a lightsaber.

According to the Wook (again) Lightsabers didn't come into fruition until 15,500 BBY, and by 4,800 BBY the cordless & most modern varieties came in.

Meanwhile blasters were found on Rakatan droid technology that pre-dated the Galactic Republic.

Can't find anything about vibro-weapons...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.