GM Support Hotline

Discussion in 'Games: RPG & Miniatures' started by Koohii, Mar 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FlareStorm Jedi Master

star 6
    Republic Founder worlds - They included Alderaan, Alsakan, Anaxes, Axum, Brentaal, Caamas, Chandrila, Corellia, Corulag, Coruscant, Duro, Esseles, Humbarine, Kuat, Rendili, Shawken and Tepasi (among others)

Other than those, I think its up to you. Anyhing Core or the Colonies might or not be. Or be in the process of joining (who knows how long that takes)
  2. Koohii Jedi Master

star 5
    If I remember correctly, the Tapani sector is near the core without being the core. Maybe the party will be in on the founding days of the Noble Houses.
  3. Aragorn327 Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Could use some help coming up with something at short notice--I've been working on a game in a custom setting. The players will be crewing a smuggling/merchant ship. A few players want to do an introductory session before I start off with everyone, which should be fun.

Their ship is wrapping up the end of a year in drydock and half of the crew hasn't arrived yet. I was thinking about having the players do some digging into a possible cargo lot they may end up transporting and discovering it's a large batch of very dangerous and very illegal weapons. Will they inform the authorities for possible favors later? Take it and try to sell it to a higher bidder (as they won't be offered nearly as much as its worth for the job) ?

I've got a few ideas like that, but could use some help coming up with some twists or more interesting points to throw in. This is pretty last minute and I'm having trouble brainstorming.

Thanks!
  4. Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master

star 8
    Do you have the Scum and Villany book? There's quite a few tables to generate cargo and jobs there.
  5. DarkLordoftheFins Jedi Master

star 4
    So, a Smuggler, Transportcrew story? There are certain elements to spice things up then . . .

Firefly, Brian Daley and Cowboy Bebop and Afterburn give some good ideas for adventures and elements, actually.
  6. Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master

star 8
    You could take them to Point Nadir. I am going to take my players there, someday.
  7. Koohii Jedi Master

star 5
    And don't forget the classic books most useful for this sort of framework: Galaxy Guide #6 Tramp Freighters and Pirates&Privateers, both by WEG. Everything about transporting cargo and general piracy is in these books.
  8. Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master

star 8
    Is that the book where you can get a pack of sabacc cards? I know it's off topic, but I have heard they came with a WEG book.
  9. Koohii Jedi Master

star 5
    No, I think that's the adventure that takes place on Cloud City. Check the WEG Classic Adventures books.
  10. Aragorn327 Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Well, the session didn't go amazingly yesterday but more due to out of character issues than anything else. I'll give them another session to see if they mellow out--if not, I'll just stop informing the problem players of future sessions.

I'm not familiar with Brian Daley, so I'll have to look him up. I'm guessing Galaxy Guide #6 Tramp Freighters and Pirates&Privateers have material that can be converted over to GURPS, so I'll see if I can find those to skim through also, thanks.
  11. Koohii Jedi Master

star 5
    I'm sure they could be converted fairly easily. In fact, I'd be surprised if someone hasn't done it already. Brian Daley wrote a number of books, as well as the scripts for the Star Wars Radio Program.
  12. IcePirate Jedi Master

star 2
    Something tells me i'll be coming here often....

I'm designing an epic series of inter-related campaigns for Saga Edition that I want to fit into the canon as close as an rpg campaign can. That being said, my first quandry is this:

I'm trying to design a space battle set during the Jedi Civil War (JCW) where there were no survivors on either side. I definitely want to have a modified Krath Supremacy-class Attack Ship in it. The modifications would bring it up to date for the JCW as well as pushing it into more of a reconaissance command vessel role. In doing so, I figure some of the hangers would be replaced with bulkheads that provide more space for deep space/long range sensor packages, offices for intelligence analysis and the like, adjustments in crew size, etc. I haven't decided how many squadrons would be removed yet, but it should be enough to help bring some balance to the ship (and the beattle). Also, most of the remaining squadrons would be refitted into being recon fighters. The shuttles would be refitted to accommadate recon/surveillance teams. I figure two squadrons would remain largely untouched for the protection of the ship. I'm thinking that this ship would also be supported by two Jehavey'ir Assault ships.

How many Hammerhead-class Cruisers and their squadron complements (and shuttles) would it take to level the playing field if all sentient components are on equal footing?

For the record, the pc's of the game are going to be stuck in an escape pod during the Dark Times of Palpatine's Imperial Era when they happen to float by the "untouched" battlesite. After they get rescued, they will have the ability to return to the coordinates of the battlesite and explore it (complete with feral (junk) droids!).
  13. Rogue_Thunder FanForce CR, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Chapter Rep
    star 6
    First of all, thanks WotC for not putting an index in the one book that really needs one.

To answer your question first you need to find out how many emplacement points a stock Krath Supremacy-class Attack Ship has, which you can determine by looking up it's size class (Battlecruiser, cruiser, frigate, etc) adding up the cost of all features and determining how many extra emplacement points you have. Removing a hangar frees up 8 emplacement points per hangar, while a hangar bay on a colossal size starship can store 50 units (more info by size on pg. 50 SotG - as well as a list of features on pg 49 of SotG that you may want to replace (eg. Extended range costs 2 points and sensor upgrades anywhere from 1 to 3 points).

As for the rest of your question, I can't answer that without a look at the ships stats, so a link or posting them would help, but going by the CL of all ships on each side should give you an idea of what an even match would look like.

EG an advanced V-19 Torrent (CL12) would need to face two Action IV Transports (CL7 each) to be more closely matched. Hope that helps and that campaign sounds fun. :)
  14. IcePirate Jedi Master

star 2
    thanks for the help and the compliment. :)

before i start rattling off stats, i'm wondering which ones are relevant to this... and on a negative side, the kotor campaign guide neglects to state how many hangers are on a ship (for instance), thus i've still trying to figure out emplacement costs... and what if i wanted a sensor package of +# greater than 6?

do i take the averages of all the ships that can fit in the hangers plus the ship itself, or does the cl of a cruiser contain that of the shuttles, fighters, and support craft?

a stock supremacy (a cruiser) is a cl 17, while the jehavey'ir (frigates) ships are both ranked at cl 18 each... i was hoping to have the mando ships be support vessels for the updated krath vessel. the krath ship usually holds 144--- yes, that's 144--- chaos fighters (each ranked at cl 7) and 8 unlisted shuttles (which i guess i'll use herald class shuttles ranked at cl 11 each). i plan on trimming down the number of fighters, like i said, and alterring many of the remaining ones.... i'm thinking there are 12 fighters to a squadron, thus 12 squadrons on a stock krath ship. i'm also thinking about replacing the remaining chaos fighters with davaab fighters (cl 8 until modified) but may have to look into whether or not a supremacy can support that kind of fighter, and if so... will that cause more or less space available--- if there is a difference at all?

hammerheads are listed as frigates with a cl 18 each and each hold only 12 aurek fighters (cl 11 each), 2 ministry class shuttles (cl 6 each), and "various support craft".

pages that the ships can be found in kotor campaign guide
    supremacy- page 221
    chaos- page 220
    herald- page 164
    jehavey'ir- page 205-206
    davaab page 204
    hammerhead- page 184
    aurek- page 180-181
    ministry- page 182
  15. Rogue_Thunder FanForce CR, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Chapter Rep
    star 6
    My guess is with the disparity of number they were trying to go with a Rebel/Imperial vibe, with the rebel's having superior equipment and personell (X-wings vs. TIE's) in this case the Rebels being the Old Rebublic, and the Empire being the Sith, with "cheaper" equipment, but a vast superiority in numbers?

I don't have the KotOR CG handy, so I'll have to grab that after my paladin dings 76, then I'll have a looksee at the stats before I knock off for the night....

If I had to guess though, the stock supremacy has the 3 of the larger hangars (50 units each), and perhaps a smaller support hangar for shuttles/dignitaries, etc. So just go with the math on that, eg number of units divided by unit size of each hanger on the SotG guide.

I'll post soon with the math if I can find my copy of KotOR.
  16. IcePirate Jedi Master

star 2
    i would think there is a difference in emplacement points in regards to size of hangers, but i can't find any.

for the fighters:
    since i'm looking at modifying all but two of the "imperial" squadrons into tactical reconnaissance-fighter squadrons (meaning the fighters will need more reconaissance hardware ---sensor packages, etc. think fighters made for this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wild_Weasel for some squadrons, think sr-71 blackbirds for others. i'm also loooking into the possibility of replacing a squadron or two or three or four with smaller, more plentiful recon/surveillance drones/droids a la http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unmanned_aerial_vehicle --- special attention to the usaf's tiers 2 through 3- ). again... still in planning stages for the fighters. have to make them workable for the modified supremacy.

for the supremacy-class:
    it would need more space for the intelligence analysis, compiling the data acquired from various sources (the ship's squadrons, shuttles, spy teams, commandos, agents and operatives, etc.), mass data cyphering, and encrypted long-range communications arrays. i don't know what's available for that without completely having to make stuff up. it would also need some other stuff... navcomp, iff...

i'm wondering how all those modifications affect their cl's.
  17. AlphaDroid Jedi Youngling

Had these questions posted elsewhere but they are now moved here.

In the Saga Edition book, pg151, under Aid Another, it says
    "You can help another character achieve success on her skill check or ability check by making the same kind of skill check in a cooperative effort."
    Does this mean that if the player is making a mechanics check that you must be trained to use, will the helper be available even if they are not trained.
    As they are not trained how can they "make the same kind of skill check" .
    Just wondering.
    Dont worry about this one found an errata on it, seemingly in mechanics checks, an untrained character can aid another.

In the Saga Rulebook it gives XP awards for the PCs, I have a problem trying to understand it.
    For example if my PC group of 4 level7 players fight and defeat 10 CL1 stormtroopers,
    do they receive XP calculated by totalling the CLs of the defeated foes, ie CL10, meaning they receive 2000 group xp,
    OR,
    is the XP award equivilant to 10 CL1s which would only be 200 group xp as there is more than 5levels difference between them and each enemy.
    I know it mentions adding the CLs of all obstacles and enemies and dividing by 3, for encounter difficulty, but i cant see anywhere where that carries on to awarding experience.
    I have read the rules quite a few times and to be honest I just cannot make sense from the wording.
    Any help appreciated.

Thanks

AlphaD

Just thought of another one..
    On pg77 of the Saga Rulebook, Telepathy, "Through the link you can exchange emotions or a single thought".
    Surely this is a one way communication and if so why is the word "exchange" used, talk about arguing with the PCs about that one. Once again I can find no errata or clarifications about it.
    I know that these questions are open for interpretation by GMs and PCs but just wondering if any of you guys have come across them before.
    Thanks
  18. IcePirate Jedi Master

star 2
    i did some more thinking and... please ignore my last post for the most part. before i can figure out how to evenly match the final fight, i should figure out what at least one side had. I chose to go with this scenario: a Supremacy-class attack ship was refitted and converted into a reconnaisance command vessel for the Jedi Civil War. The nature of these recon missions usually entailed testing the cosmic waters of an area for a larger task force to clean house, but on plenty of occasions it would be the flagship of an ambush-centered taskforce. this ended when it finally bit off more than it could chew. unfortunately for the bitten, the bite was equally as fatal. Centuries later, a group of player characters drift past and view the undisturbed (re: lost) final battlesite in an escape pod.

for those not in the know about the different usages for fighter planes (starfighters and combat airspeeders for the star wars universe) i present the following wiki links:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reconnaissance_aircraft
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SEAD
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interceptor_aircraft
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_superiority_fighter

i've spent my freetime today thinking about the roles i see the supremacy-class ship capable of. we know that it was originally designed as a attack carrier, so that narrows down the field of missions a little bit (not a science vessel). i'd like to see it primarily used for reconnaissance and SEAD. I figure spy satellites are fairly conspicuous to the advanced technologies of the Star Wars Galaxy, so they're eliminated. This leaves spying and recon. This ship could be a mobile command center for special forces teams and imbedded intelligence agents. This modified supremacy-class would have room for intel analysis, hypertranscievers, a sensor array, and a sensor enhancement package. as for the SEAD side of it, it would have a contingent of fighters tasked with this. the fighters would seek out enemy defenses, and if unable to handle on their own, notify the capable fleet where they were. also, if necessary, these fighters could also stir up trouble and bait the enemy target into chasing them back to an awaiting ambush maximized by the rest of the fleet. these fighters would also have to be suitably modified. (i find the wild weasel's mission tactics really interesting).

all this made me think that there would need to be some defense interceptor aero/spacecraft for the eventual fleet battles: specially tasked fighters and gunships. i'm figuring the defense interceptors would be for when the capital ships engage in battle after the other fighters would have been chased back "home" to the Supremacy's field of action.

i did some easy math and found that if i were to remove 4 squadrons of chaos fighters for the modifications to the supremacy-class, i'd get 96 chaos fighters (8 squadrons), taking up 10.5 meters long, each. in the same space of those remaining chaos fighters, i could assume that i could fit 150 sith interceptors (crazy!), around 114 davaab fighters, or 56 teroch gunships.... i still mixing the numbers to find the best combination, but at the moment, i'm thinking 6 squadrons (72 fighters) of interceptors and 5 squadrons (60) of davaabs... which would also leave room for a teroch gunship..... which got me thinking... do i really need 8 shuttles? (maybe). assuming that the unspecified 8 shuttles could possibly herald shuttles, i fidgetted with numbers and discovered that i could fit 10 teroch gunships and 2 herald shuttles as well aboard this ship in place of the 8 heralds and 1 gunship. i'm still not solid on this. something feels missing.

i need to figure out which fighters to use for what roles and could use some advice. got any?

once all this is cleared up, then i can figure out the Republic's response.

thoughts in general?
  19. Koohii Jedi Master

star 5
    So, here's a fun what if:
    We have 2 people in our group who come as a package deal. One is a good role-player, even if he does over-strategize, and one is a gossipy gossip who has trouble not talking.
    Almost everyone, at one point or another, has been so annoyed by the second person that we've left for weeks or months at a time. Some more than once.
    Not only does this second person not pay attention, and thus take longer when their turn comes round, but also tries to play other people's turns. The first also chimes in with his "advice". Thus everything takes much longer. It is especially annoying when the first thing that happens is a wiff on the die roll, so all the chatter is pointless.

But, we like having the first person, who has to rely on the second for a ride.

So far, we've managed to not rip person 2 to pieces, but it is a challenge some days.

One player returned after a long break and started timing the turns. Average for most players was 2-6 minutes when it was their turn, 20 minutes for the GM, and 10-12 for each of these two players, over the course of an hour. In one hour, we managed 4 rounds of combat.

If these people would just pay attention, not distract others, and listen when the GM is talking, we'd get a lot more done, there'd be less repetition of information, and everyone would have much more fun.

What solutions/suggestions have you got?
  20. Aragorn327 Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Can't help with the posts previous to Koohii's, as I only have the Legacy Saga book.

Koohii--If they don't live together, you could rotate through the rest of the group to designate a driver for person one. If that's not possible and it were my group, I'd probably just cut them from the game : \
  21. Koohii Jedi Master

star 5
    Someone suggested we go to tournament rules: Your turn has 30 seconds. Period. GM, naturally, can take as long as he wants.
    Unfortunately, these two do live together, and the game is almost always at the same place (easier not to have to transport all the minis, maps, books, etc).

We're hoping this will help.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.