main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Edmonton Go OILERS Go!!!

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by BLACKJEBUS, May 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BLACKJEBUS

BLACKJEBUS Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 9, 2002
    I know this is a Star Wars fanforce and all, but why is there no thread devoted to our beloved Oilers?

Come on people!

2. Ky-Wan

Ky-Wan Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 19, 2002
    cause we don't hop on bandwagons that shut down as soon as they loose

3. SHAAK_GG

SHAAK_GG Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 29, 2005
    GO COLORADO AVALANCHE!

Oh, cann't forget my back up team:;)

GO CALGARY FLAMES!

4. ms_ventress

ms_ventress Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 10, 2004
    yeaah. usually when you start thinking good thoughts... the Oilers loose... so usually when you don't have your hopes up.. they win :)

5. liannb

liannb Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 30, 2002
    well i'd like them to win but i'm really sick of cutting oilers stuff at work already, and if we win tonight and calgary wins then we'll be playing calgary and it'll be 10 times worse at work cause we'll do a million rivalry storys, but it'd be cool to be playing calgary in the playoffs.

6. Domino_Leia

Domino_Leia Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 4, 2005
    A battle of Alberta would be pretty sweet.

Brian and I went down to Calgary when they were in the play offs a couple of years ago, like when they played San Jose for the cup, and we were there when they won their last game. We watched it in a pub on 17th Ave, and every pub, bar, restaraunt, everything, was packed to the max. They played the national anthem, and everyone in the place stood up and sang, and it felt so cool because everyone was so proud and every sang it with such enthusiasm. And when Calgary would score a goal, the whole joint would go nuts. You could hear cheering from all of the bars, and people driving in the street would honk and cheer. And when they won the game, it was just retarded. They closed off I don't know how many blocks, and we went walking up the street after the game was done, and we could see way way ahead of us, this something. And this something turned out to be a huge mass of people, just crammed into the street. It was like a mosh pit for 5 blocks. Even where the street was not closed off and there were cars, people were still walking down the street, and the people in cars didn't seem to mind too much. It was really incredible to be there at that moment in time.

7. SHAAK_GG

Jun 29, 2005
    Actually, Calgary played San Jose in the Western Confrence Final, Calgary won, and went on to play Tampa Bay for the Cup. But they lost.

I really hope the Avs win the cup this year, but if Calgary did that would be cool with me. I like the Avs best, but as I said earlier Calgary is my back up team, my #2 team.

Kipperusoff is damn good between the pipes. Top goalie of the year by far.

8. Indigo_Jade

Indigo_Jade Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2002
    I believe that Calgary played Vancouver, Detroit, and San Jose in that year, beating the #1, #2, and #3 seeds in the western conference.

9. SHAAK_GG

Jun 29, 2005
    I believe you are correct Johnny boy.:p

10. Domino_Leia

Nov 4, 2005
    I don't know who they played exactly, that's boy stuff.:rolleyes:

*Twirls trendil of hair around finger* [face_batting]

All I know is we were in Calgary, the Flames were playing in Calgary, it was near the end of the play offs, they won and the whole city went ape ****.

11. SHAAK_GG

Jun 29, 2005
    Don't you mean "playoffs"? :p

12. Domino_Leia

Nov 4, 2005
  13. Indigo_Jade

Apr 23, 2002
    Damn Oilers... :mad: [face_frustrated]

14. BLACKJEBUS

Jan 9, 2002
    OILERS WIN!!!

And whoever called me a bandwagon fan can get lost. I just found this forum the other day, and I decided to start a thread. If you don't like the Oilers or hockey, please don't taint it with your insults.

15. Indigo_Jade

Apr 23, 2002
    Now, now, lets not get testy. And as someone who is new to this forum, that isn't the way to make a good first impression... :)

16. geekgirl76

geekgirl76 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 29, 2002
    Chill! He never said you were a bandwagon fan, he said we wern't. I have to agree with him. I haven't seen this many Oilers fans in 10 years, this city has always had too many fairweather fans.

17. BLACKJEBUS

Jan 9, 2002
    Every team has their share of bandwagoners.

I think a lot of Oilers fans were sick of getting their spirits crushed by Dallas year after year.

In Calgary it was worse because they hadn't won a playoff series since they won the cup. No wonder that city got so unglued when they FINALLY won a few!

And you must admit, an Edmonton-Calgary series would be fun!

18. Rogue_Thunder

Rogue_Thunder FanForce CR, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada star 6

Jan 7, 2003
    I was never a fairweather fan. I wear my oilers cap proudly and I have for a long time... even through the hard times... and while there may be a few fairweather fans in Edmonton it isn't predominantly like that.

Just ask the coaches and training staff of any team to play at Rexall... Detroit may have its squids, but when visiting teams come here they don't think "I wonder how the squids may affect the game?" they say "I wonder how that Edmonton crowd will affect the game?"

As to their win tonight...

BOOYAH!

C'mon battle of Alberta!

What I wouldn't give to be in town on Whyte Ave right now. :( :_|

19. SHAAK_GG

Jun 29, 2005
    My Avs thread on the Denver, CO boards and my Flames thread on the Calgary, AB boards have been quite a hit, and I have gotten lots of member involved in them.:)

20. Rogue_Thunder

Jan 7, 2003
    Believe it or not Jarrett, but I'm pulling for the Avs and Flames because if they come through then I know round 2 will be Edmonton vs. Calgary... it hasn't been like that since I was a little kid... I'm freaking excited! :D

21. BLACKJEBUS

Jan 9, 2002
    The regular season games between the Oilers and Flames have been very "playoff-like".

An actual playoff series between these teams would be an all-out WAR, and probably end up being the best series all playoffs!

22. SHAAK_GG

Jun 29, 2005
    Ya, Colorado kinda eliminated Dallas already. But it is good you have seen the light and cheer for a good team! GO AVS! Repeat Mission 16W!

Calgary vs Edmonton would be the best playoff series of all time!

23. Rogue_Thunder

Jan 7, 2003
    A Calgary/Edmonton series will be freaking chaos... I wish I was back in town!!! :_|

I might be back for a bit on Saturday... if there's a game then I am I'm probably going to hit up Schanks in the west end, or maybe even Whyte Ave... who wants to join me? :D

24. Ky-Wan

Ky-Wan Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 19, 2002
    I aint getting lost anytime soon, maybe try saying hello before ya go telling everyone to cheer for a hockey team.

Ya want a thread on it fine, but then don't get testy when people don't see your thread as the most important one on this list.

Deal

25. BLACKJEBUS

Jan 9, 2002
    Who's being testy? I simply wanted to talk to some Edmontonians about the Oilers and I happened across a forum for Edmonton fan force. I thought someone would have started a thread on the playoffs (with Edmonton being a hockey city and all).

I don't care if it's the "most important" thread on the list, or if nobody replied and it, but I thought your comment was rude for no reason. Not that I'm offended, but your post came across to me with a haughty and unnneccessary "I'm better than you" attitude.

If that wasn't your intent to belittle me for trying to have a little fun, then I apologise.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.