main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Go science?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jabbadabbado, Sep 26, 2012.

1. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    I AM THE SCIENCE POPULARIZER GOTHAM DESERVES :p

2. Darth Morella

Darth Morella Force Ghost star 6

Apr 5, 2004
    Lesser of two evils, and stuff :p

3. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    The difference between cautionary skepticism and cynical snobbery is tone, not content.--Souderwan

I could care less what education he has, he stopped being nice to me long ago so pardon us for bickering. On top of that as I pointed out people with far greater education have funding to research the matter, on top of that all the "'not gonna happen" reasons are known, accepted, pointed out, understood, we know it, we get it etc etc.

4. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    But that's the point you never seem to grasp. They aren't getting funding to research what you are talking about. They are getting funding to research a legitimate scientific issue that, in the warped flights of fantasy of some basement-dwelling internet blogger, is the keystone to whatever wild invention they saw on the last episode of Star Trek. It's not. It has nothing to do with that, despite whatever tenuous chains of maybes you can string out for the next two centuries worth research and fringe theories you can use to build some sort connection.

They aren't related. At all. That's really been the main thrust of Vivec's fiery dismissals, and Morella's more restrained objections.

5. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    That "quote" doesn't even fit as a rebuttal to any one of our posts.

6. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    Since when was outdated Cold War posturing more fitting of science funding than doing science?

7. wannasee

wannasee Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2007
    all vlm was saying is that he wants us to go the moon again. i don't see what the big deal is...

8. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    After years of posting on the same forum as Ramza, I think I finally understand a correct situation to use this in.

Ahem.

VLM et al: Your spaghetti is getting everywhere.

Lord Vivec and Ramza like this.
  9. Lowbacca_1977

Jun 28, 2006
    The big deal is.... why? What goals would going back to the moon achieve, in terms of science, compared to what we can do by other means? And what is the opportunity cost of that, given how many science projects are being scrapped due to budgetary constraints right now?

10. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    There's absolutely nothing right now that humans can achieve from a scientific point of view by going to the moon ourselves rather than sending robots. In addition, there are plenty of scientific questions that NASA can and should (and sometimes does) spend money on. Like the Alpha Magnetic Spectrometer, for example.

11. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    NASA should be devoting all it resources toward faking a manned mission to Mars.

Darth_Invidious likes this.
  12. wannasee

Jan 24, 2007
    I don't think vlm was making an argument for why we should go to the moon. He was just saying that he wants us to go the moon.

He also wants a yacht...

13. Lowbacca_1977

Jun 28, 2006
    No, he was, largely as he's contending that NASA is being run wrong because it's not. So that implicitly carries with it the argument that we should be doing that with our limited budget.

14. Darth Morella

Darth Morella Force Ghost star 6

Apr 5, 2004
    Well, if Montie wants to go to the moon, I support that 100%.

jp-30 and wannasee like this.
  15. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    We probably won't be going back to the Moon until there's some benefit in it for us.

Like mining, or solar energy that can then be transmitted to Earth for power. Or perhaps for military defense purposes, if the threat of space warfare materializes. Or maybe if there was some real need for it, for scientific advancement.

In other words, there's no real benefit to us going back to the Moon now. Just sci-fi fantasies.

VLM just wants us to hurry up and become an intergalactic civilization of posthuman immortals with android sex toys already, and he's tired of waiting and asking nicely. :p

16. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    Yeah, VLM has seen and read a lot of science fantasy technologies and his want for them is trumping good science. Anyone who proceeds to even try to counter it gets told to "let the adults talk."

17. wannasee

Jan 24, 2007
    I could understand getting upset if you were countering his arguments and he told you to "let the adults talk," but what happened was that you started talking about "scientific priorities" and attacking him personally, when he was only sharing with us his desire for NASA to return the moon.

So i think he was quite right to tell you to "let the adults talk". You were being impertinent.

18. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    You put scientific priorities in quotes as if I just made that up on the spot.

I used to try to explain things to him in a calm and reasonable matter. You think the Chicago pile thread was the first time we discussed the alcubierre drive? Months ago it was posted, and months ago I explained why it wouldn't work. Go back to page 6 of this thread and then tell me who is being impertinent.

19. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
  20. Lowbacca_1977

Jun 28, 2006
    All things change over time. Entropy. Bam.

Summer Dreamer likes this.
  21. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    ....I'm sorry, but calling it "4-D printing" is just dumb. It's not as if 3-D printers print objects that do not have a t value.

22. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    It's just a cool way to advertise the technology :p

23. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
  24. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
  25. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Really? Because I'm pretty sure this is going to result in privately owned 3D printers being banned. Way to ****ing go, dip****.