main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Go science?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jabbadabbado, Sep 26, 2012.

1. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    I'm going to guess it's the fact that something Einstein himself predicted has finally panned out experimentally. People like Einstein, what with the crazy hair, and the relativity, and the determinism.

2. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Now that the thread crapping is done we can get back to important matters.

3. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Even, I blame you for going to Reddit in the first place.

Lord Of Vivec: I don't have any problem. I pointed out that either the level of media coverage was either unusual for a discovery that was primarily of significance within one particular field or that the authors did an awful job of explaining why the lay population should take note of it. Either possibility validated Even's question. The primary purpose of my post was to defend that one, which Ramza had previously (based on a misunderstanding) suggested was reflective of some broader antipathy towards science. I simply wanted to point out that it was in fact an issue of media criticism.

4. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    Except for VLM, no one here linked to media coverage of it. I linked to the actual paper, which isn't supposed to be aimed at laymen.

No one at all brought up media coverage until you posted.

5. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    This thread is only for discussing the contents internal to this thread? Nothing else can ever come into the debate?

You made reference to a new discovery which has received a fair amount of media coverage. Even commented on that media coverage. How exactly is that inappropriate?

6. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    Where did Even mention media coverage?

Your post was the first post to mention media coverage. Tell me how on earth could a non psychic guess that Even was talking about media coverage?

7. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    The entirety of his complaints were about the lack of rationale for lay people to be invested in the announcement. There was absolutely no criticism of the fact that the work was done, and no criticism of the fact that physicists were excited about it. He only noted that he in particular, and other lay people in general, saw no reason to care.

How on Earth could a non-psychic read that and divine that Even was secretly harboring some sort of opposition to science? Yet, someone made that logical leap and left the much more obvious one on the table. Because I would tend to assume that if someone's only complaint is with the way something was communicated to the general public, the criticism is of the messenger, not the message.

Finally, though, this is bizarre. Whether anything could be guessed "beforehand" is immaterial. The fact is that Even was referring to the media coverage, as he noted by agreeing with my post. Ramza did misread him and apologized for it, as he noted in his original reply to me. Three people posted in under 15 minutes and didn't have an opportunity to fully understand each other's positions as a result. The misunderstandings are a matter of historical fact, have now been concluded, and all sides have apologized to each other for any ruffled feathers. Why are you taking issue with someone that's not even an active point of discussion anymore? What are we debating about? Exactly what point do you want to make here? Knowing Even better, I shouldn't have understood the intent of his post better than Ramza? Sorry. I won't let it happen again?

What exactly is the endpoint here?

8. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    The endpoint is, as always, that Bethany is part black.

9. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006

Let's poo pah this too.

10. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
  11. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    The Earth does orbit the Sun. According to the link the correct figure is around 3 out of 4 ( 74% ).

12. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    I'll take my dunce cap for actually typing that. 8-}

13. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
  14. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
  15. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Artificial chromosome from scratch

Hundreds of thousands of base pairs vs billions for humans. Anyone got any spare billions of dollars they can loan me? I need to fund some genetic engineering research. I mean, if you fund this you are off the hook for my yacht fund.

16. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
  17. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    The legal implications of this are pretty scary, if you look at it through the lens of The Gridlock Economy. If you can now create new genetic templates, you can possibly patent them. The money involved to create chromosomes is substantial, as you say, which seems to suggest it's more likely than not that only a small elite group of corporations will own these potentially life-saving or life-extending technologies.

18. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    That makes it all the more important for everyone to give me all their money so I can fund it and share it with the world.

Saintheart likes this.
  19. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
  20. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Wait, I thought if we followed your posts, you would let us off the hook?

*unfollows Monty*

21. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Yacht or immortality. There is nothing else.

22. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    A wonderful passage from "Neanderthal Man: In Search of Lost Genomes"

The author tells a story about the difficulty of isolating human nuclear DNA strands that have integrated bits of mitochondrial DNA.

"...the head of the sperm contains no mitochondria. So to get nuclear DNA without accompanying mtDNA, our lab simply needed to isolate sperm heads. I talked to my male graduate students, and there was enough enthusiasm for our work that we all went our separate ways one morning and generated sperm, from which Hans carefully isolated the heads by centrifugation."

Science is hard. very hard.

VadersLaMent likes this.
  23. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    But every sperm is sacred!

24. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    If it hasn't been done, someone needs to launch a sitcom about graduate students working in a microbiology lab at a major research university.

25. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    [​IMG]
    I've heard of enjoying your research but this is ridiculous.