main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Go science?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jabbadabbado, Sep 26, 2012.

1. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Ghost likes this.
  2. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    I think I'll just stick to regular bacon...

3. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    It's gotta be better than turkey bacon.

4. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    It's the bacon version of tofurkey. :p

5. Hogarth Wrightson

Hogarth Wrightson Jedi Knight star 4

Jul 2, 2015
  6. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
  7. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    Admiral Volshe likes this.
  8. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    So it spat a muon into the ice and they measured that? No idea what a muon is but it sounds interesting.

How does such a particle like a neutrino pass through planets?

Is it because they're so small they don't bump into other masses?

**** :eek:

9. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    So shane you know about electrons. Small negatively charged (-1e) 1/2 spin elementary fermions. Well muons are a heavier electron. They're very similar with the main difference being their mass. Together with the tau (an even heavier electron), they make a class of particles called leptons. This are differentiated from quarks, which have color charge and fractional e electric charge.

The reason neutrinos pass through every damn thing is because of a couple of reasons. They're very, very low mass, which means they don't interact gravitationaly. They're also neutral, which means they don't interact electromagnetically. There are also three types of neutrinos, one for each lepton I mentioned earlier (electron-neutrino, muon-neutrino, and tau-neutrino).

The reason they spat a muon and waited is because muons are unstable. A muon will decay into a muon neutrino and a W boson (through the weak force interaction). the W boson then decays into an electron and electron neutrino. They can then measure the energies of the neutrinos.

10. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Thanks!

Science!

11. Admiral Volshe

Admiral Volshe Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
  12. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
  13. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    I thought this was kind of cool.

VadersLaMent and Admiral Volshe like this.
  14. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    VadersLaMent likes this.
  15. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002

What's nice is that even though the crust may be very think it has cracks and potentially portions of the ice may burst open then freeze over but fill with water forming a water filled igloo. These will be thinner areas to melt through than the actual crust itself.

16. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    http://www.foxnews.com/health/2015/09/10/worlds-first-head-transplant-patient-schedules-procedure-for-2017/]Link[/url]

A man with an incurable muscle-wasting disease has been selected to have the world's first head transplant. Meaning: his head will be cut off of his original body, and transplanted onto a donor's healthy body, to live out the rest of his life.

Thoughts?

17. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    Whose healthy body are they using?

18. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    It doesn't say.

I would guess it will be someone recently deceased at the time of the operation, maybe just from head trauma, who was also willing to donate his body to science. That's what I would think, anyways.

19. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
  20. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
  21. Admiral Volshe

Sep 2, 2012
    While the chemicals and everything may very well cause a period of insanity, I don't see why homeostasis wouldn't eventually be reestablished. We have medications abound that would be able to combat the effects while it is reestablished. Sure, he'd most likely have to be in a medically induced coma for a certain time period until his new body resets, but considering the brain and reflex arc should still be intact (going by what I have read), there should be an adjustment. It's inevitable that his mind will require the adjustment, it's just how fast or how much it requires.

I don't expect that they'd keep him awake or unmedicated while his body goes through that roller coaster. That would be inhumane.

22. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Yeah, I would assume the body would come from someone who was brain dead and donated their organs.

I am so interested in seeing how this comes out. People thought the first heart transplant was crazy, now we transplant all kinds of organs, we reattach all kinds of limbs. While it's crazy dangerous, the benefits could be astounding. It would always be a risky procedure, but if you are at the point that the benefits outweigh the risks like I assume this guy feels, then it could be amazing.

Ghost and Admiral Volshe like this.
  23. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Now when they actually perform the head transplant will people still assume this doctor is a Konami employee involved in a long-con regarding Metal Gear Solid?

24. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    I'm not sure I agree with that point of view to be perfectly honest. This sort of seems like a cure in search of disease. I think that by the time that this is perfected we'll have other much more effective ways of dealing with degenerative conditions.

25. Admiral Volshe

Sep 2, 2012
    Just wait until we can transplant just brains, so we can clone ourselves and transplant our brains into younger versions!

(Perfectly aware that's insane.)

I have theories myself on utilising current technologies in versatile ways, that won't require anything more than injections. Seems pretty sci fi, but they're doing it on the very small scale now.