main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Go science?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jabbadabbado, Sep 26, 2012.

1. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    I've heard about stuff along those lines as well. I saw a fascinating story on 60 Minutes a few months ago a group of doctors that are using a resequenced polio virus to kill tumors dead in the brains of end stage cancer patients. It was absolutely mindblowing

Admiral Volshe likes this.
  2. Admiral Volshe

Admiral Volshe Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Yeah, that's the kind of thing I'm studying! Viral vectors are ****ing badass.

3. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    As long as they don't turn us into zombies who have to fight Will Smith ;)

I hear nanotechnology shows great promise too.

4. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    True Sith and Admiral Volshe like this.
  5. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
  6. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    A head transplant would be cool because I could have my head transplanted onto Donald Trump's body and donate every single penny of his earnings to worthy causes and live the rest of my life being a people greeter at Walmart.

7. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    =D=[face_laugh]

8. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
  9. Admiral Volshe

Sep 2, 2012
    What the article doesn't mention is that most, if not all, of the cloud is harmless. (Certain exceptions apply, of course.) In fact, many of them actually protect us.

I'd be interested to see how different places on Earth with different altitudes, temperatures, and so on would affect the "cloud" and what it's composed of.

This article's also pretty cool.
    http://publications.nigms.nih.gov/findings/jan12/body-bacteria.asp

VadersLaMent likes this.
  10. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    It's like we have our very own utility fog.

11. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Life extension

I have exchanged a few words with the CEO. Smart lady.

12. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    The world will be more or less perfect as soon as rich people can live twice as long as poor people.

13. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
  14. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
  15. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
  16. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Is that a fundamental particle, like quarks/electrons/muons/taus?

[​IMG]

17. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002

So what precisely is a Weyl fermion? Even though we're often taught in high school science that the Universe is made up of atoms, but from a particle physicists’ perspective, everything is essentially made up of fermions and bosons. Put very basically, fermions are the building blocks that make up all known matter

18. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I know that, but not all fermions are fundamental particles.

And I don't know what high schools don't talk about subatomic particles anymore.

19. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002

It is most certainly a fundamental particle.

20. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I'm not sure. A new fundamental particle would be an earthquake in the scientific community, like the Higgs boson was. They don't mention it's fundamental in the article, or how it changes the Standard Model... they just talk about how it can be applied to electronics and crystals. I wouldn't say they discover a new fermion all the time, but it does happen every once in a while. But hardly ever happens with fundamental particles. Only the Higgs Boson, which was predicted by the Standard Model.

21. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002

But it is an earthquake in the scientific community. But it was never called "The God Particle" so it is not a big deal in mainstream media.

22. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    It most certainly is not. It's a quasiparticle.

Ghost and Admiral Volshe like this.
  23. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Ramza, Lord Vivec ... do you guys think this is a huge deal? Is it a new elementary particle like the quarks, electrons, muons, taus, neutrinos, and bosons?

EDIT: Oh, there we go :p

What does it mean to be a quasiparticle? Is this a huge breakthrough in understanding, or just filling in more of the gaps with some specifics?

Lord Vivec likes this.
  24. Admiral Volshe

Sep 2, 2012
    Quasiparticles are...strange. To me, at least. I still can't personally give a good definition of them without some long winded analogy.

I'm under the impression that most of the breakthrough is because it opens more doors to more discoveries. That, and that it is extremely useful to prove it exists and can be used in electronics. It means that electronics can potentially be made more efficient and with less heat generated, I believe.
    I could be wrong. I read about the Weyl fermion being confirmed by researchers at Princeton in TaAs...and that was from 5 months ago.

I'm wondering how easy it would be to actually utilise this in today's world. They had to design their own crystal structure, no? How feasible is it to mass produce that now or at some point in the future?

Ghost likes this.
  25. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    So quasiparticles are funny things. It's basically when things that aren't strictly particles act like particles. So for example, you have a lattice of arranged atoms. When they all vibrate with a single frequency in the exact same way due to being in an excited state, the vibration behaves like a single particle called a phonon. Or another example is an electron hole that you would see in semiconductor physics. The lack of an electron being where one would be in the semiconductor behaves like a particle. So quasiparticles are behaviors in a sense.

As for whether it's a huge deal? I don't know. You're certainly right that if we had a new fundamental particle (like another gauge boson or say the 4th generation of quarks), it'd be a big deal. From what I've been reading there's some applications in electronics, so perhaps it'll have an effect in electrical engineering.

Ghost and Admiral Volshe like this.