main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Go science?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jabbadabbado, Sep 26, 2012.

1. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    That's too bad, but let's wait and see.

IF it's true, or comes true soon, what could the realistic ramifications be?

2. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Well, if the model is correct, room temperature superconductors.

3. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012

Among everything else, it would revolutionize computing.

4. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    You'd have to be able to produce it in bulk before it really changed anything for consumers and that sounds... a ways off.

5. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    shhh ramza no engineering only science bby

lexu likes this.
  6. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Superconductor switches in research machines already happened, man, it's engineers all the way down from there.

7. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Hydrogen/Oxygen rockets have a Specific Impulse (Isp) of up top 450. A few chemical reactions can be a little higher but they are very toxic. In space that would make little difference though but they are not going to be used as Earth launch vehicles. The highest comes from a combo of lithium, fluorine, and hydrogen of something like 540. A metallic hydrogen rocket could have an Isp of 1700. This is a DeltaV budget increase of 3.77 over hydrogen/oxygen.

8. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
  9. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    This is pretty cool. I don't have access to the journal it's published in, which I really wish I had because I know a thing or two about quasiparticles in conducting materials. This is now, what, the second time we've seen this effect in materials? I'm beginning to wonder if we may see a series of materials like this, and what that means for solid state physics.

The Berkeley article had a good tidbit that's relevant:

"By tuning its thermal conductivity, the material can efficiently and automatically dissipate heat in the hot summer because it will have high thermal conductivity, but prevent heat loss in the cold winter because of its low thermal conductivity at lower temperatures."

That's a very interesting effect to have in technology.

Regarding the law of physics it breaks, IIRC it's the kind of law that's empirically show from experiment, meaning that violations from experiment are a lot less severe than a law that's derived from theory. This is because it's a law born from observation.

dp4m likes this.
  10. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
  11. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    I'd say my immediate beef is the layout, and the actual video addresses that, so... yeah, solid high level synopsis, for the most part. There are a few weird assertions - the glaring one for me was the statement that category theory attempts to answer completeness when, in fact, it was formalized over a decade after Gödel's incompleteness result was published, and to a lesser extent the divorcing of a discussion of cardinal numbers from set theory when the two concepts are so intertwined that anyone who studies cardinal numbers is considered a set theorist is a weird choice. Admittedly those probably stand out the most to me because they're in Foundations, which is my jam.

12. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    The problem is that whenever someone says that, all I can think about is the shower scene in the first Pitch Perfect. This is my cross to bear, I suppose...

13. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    An old family friend did the proof for the four color map theorem. I don't know where that fits on the infographic.

14. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    These days it's usually considered a graph theoretic theorem, but the actual proof uses a wide range of techniques (also it's massive).

Appel or Haken, incidentally?

Rylo Ken likes this.
  15. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    Wolfgang Haken. I know his son.

Ramza likes this.
  16. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    When I was in high school I came up with a longer and more complicated way of squaring two digit numbers.

dp4m likes this.
  17. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
  18. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
  19. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
  20. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    A new subspecies of polar bear, that locals have long referred to as the King Bear, might be officially "discovered" after finding a skull. With locals still sometimes reporting seeing "king bears," then hopefully that means this subspecies is still around and just very elusive!

https://www.yahoo.com/news/skull-monster-king-polar-bear-131550808.html

21. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
  22. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
  23. Jedi_Jade-Skywalker

Jedi_Jade-Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 3

Oct 8, 2000
    Makes sense to me, especially in light of archeological evidence that Velociraptors had feathers.

And evidently, Brontosaurus is now a thing again. https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/tetrapod-zoology/that-brontosaurus-thing/

24. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    BAH! really wish this was in arXiv. :(

25. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    This is me if I were an Iranian-Canadian electrical engineer and made youtube videos

Caution: he swears a lot