main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph "Go then, there are other worlds than these." The Dark Tower series discussion;

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jedi_Master_Anakin, Sep 3, 2003.

1. Jedi_Master_Anakin

Jedi_Master_Anakin Jedi Master star 4

May 25, 2002
    This is to be a thread to discuss about the series "The Dark Tower" by Stephen King.

Oh, and by the way if you haven't read the books, don't come here and flame, or anything else, because it's just irritating.

Peace and Unity

JMA

2. RubberDuckyfromSpace

RubberDuckyfromSpace Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 28, 2002
    Well, I guess I'll ask a question I kind of like to ask people:

When you read the Gunslinger, what impression did you have of the world Roland inhabits?

I personally thought it was the afterlife when I read it. Just sort of a vibe I got.

3. Jedi_Master_Anakin

May 25, 2002
    I kind of thought that as well. I thought that maybe our when ties into Roland's when, the same way that life and death occur in reality. But then I stopped thinking that when Jake said, and later when Roland confirmed that "there are other worlds than these." Which leads me to believe that all whens are interconnected anyway.

SO here's a question I pose to anyone else here.

What Dark Tower book is your favorite and why?

Peace and Unity

JMA

4. RubberDuckyfromSpace

Aug 28, 2002
    My favorite The Gunslinger, at least the original one, I can't say as I have any desire to read the new version. I just think that it really gives the best impression of that world. It may be styllistically ambigous and sometimes pretentious, but I think that's the way it has to be to really work, at least that's how I perceive it.

And just to make things interesting, I'll additionally ask people what their least favorite Dark Tower book is (you don't have to dislike it, just like it less than the others)?

Mine is Wizard and Glass. I mean, if that was the story of Susan, I was happier not knowing. In fact, never has there been so tragic a love that I cared so little about (yes, I've said it before in other threads, and I'm saying it again here). And I really think Alain got short shrift as a character. But, I will admit that Cuthbert kicks ass.

5. Darth_Smeagol

Darth_Smeagol Jedi Master star 4

Dec 7, 2000
    I guess The Drawing of the Three would be my favorite. It seem, to me at least, that the story gets going alot more than in the Gunslinger.

Two months from today The Wolves of Calla is released. Woohoo!

6. Darth Dark Helmet

Darth Dark Helmet Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 27, 1999
    My favorite is the Wastelands. What seals it for me, is when Roland and all meet the town of old people and we see a completely different aspect to what Roland is, to what A Gunslinger is. Up till then we'd seen him almost purely as a warrior, but this shows us another side of it.

At the bottom is probably Drawing of the Three. Good book, but it drags a bit at times, mostly during the trips across the desert between the doors.

I view the revised edition of Book 1 as a push. Its not worse then the original, and its not better. I agreed with most of the changes that were made and really liked some of the additions. I can very easily see why King did the change. It was a good book, but there were parts of it that read llike a 20 year old college kid trying to sound important. And while it does have a certain charm, its not at all consistent with the language and tone of the rest of the series.

7. Devilanse

Devilanse Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2002
    I've read them all save for Wizards and Glass. That book is just...large...I'm trying to get the mental appetite to read it.

Incidentally...my band is called Stone Ka-Tet. Those of you who've read these books should get it. ;)

8. Calli

Calli Jedi Master star 4

Aug 17, 2000
    I always thought of the Roland's world as the would be future of the earth after 'The Stand'. Thats just the vibe I got and I know that has alot to do w/ Randall Flagg showing up.

Favorite book: The Wastelands. Why? Everything just really syncs up in this one. I don't know about anyone else, but when Jake was coming thru, I was holding my breathe and couldn't put it down till I knew he was safe.

Least fave. book: The Gunslinger. Why? I know this will sound funny cause its the first of the series, but it felt real disjointed to me. Almost like at the time King couldn't decide which way to go with the story. I also got the impression at first he wanted to make it sound like an epic poem.

I liked Wizard's and Glass , cause to me it was a different view of Roland. It doesn't fully answer all the questions of why he became the man he is, but its a good start.

I was wondering, who here thinks that when or I should say if he makes it to the Tower, that he's gonna try and correct some of the mistakes he made, like killing his mother and not saving Susan. Thats just the vibe I get, that when the Crimson King is defeated, thats whats gonna happen, certain events are going to be repaired.

9. Darth Dark Helmet

Dec 27, 1999
    Least fave. book: The Gunslinger. Why? I know this will sound funny cause its the first of the series, but it felt real disjointed to me. Almost like at the time King couldn't decide which way to go with the story. I also got the impression at first he wanted to make it sound like an epic poem.

Have you tried reading the revised version? If not, oyu should, I think it would read a lot better to you.

10. ProfessorNutbudder

ProfessorNutbudder Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 1, 2003
    I think Wizard and Glass is my favorite, though it is hard to pick an actual favorite. There is just something about the feeling of tension in that story that grabbed me. You know something unpleasant is coming, yet you can't really put your finger on it until Susan is captured and the Coos takes here back to town do you start to get the feel of what is going to happen.

As for the "where" of Roland's world. I at first thought it was our world after The Stand. But after reading all of the books, I'm not so sure. I'm leaning more towards a "paralell"(I hate using that word) world, just one of many that are centered around the Tower.

I really look forward to seeing how King ties all of the evil characters together. To see how Roland and his Ka'tet handle It, Randall Flagg, and the Crimson King make me very anxious to read the rest of the saga.

11. Calli

Calli Jedi Master star 4

Aug 17, 2000
    Helmet, I haven't had a chance to read the revised version yet. Its on my ever growing reading list.I still need to finish "Wizards and Glass" again before Wolves come out, just so I am totally caught up again.

Nutbudder, I have heard the parallel theory, which does make sense, cause of some of the things that are revealed in "Insomina". By the way you meet the Crimson King in that, for those interested. Its slow at first but really picks up at then end. Also meet, I think its a little boy, who in the end is going to sacrifice himself to save someone in the Ka'tet. (Granted I'm not 100% sure, its been a few years since I read the book.)

Anyone seen the Dark Tower companion yet? I saw it the other day in Walden books. I keep meaning to pick it up. Its volume 1 and runs thru the 1st 4 books.

12. DVader316

DVader316 Jedi Knight star 7

Feb 18, 2000
    My favorite is The Drawing of the Three. I loved seeing Roland in our world and him Eddie going after the drug dealers that killed Eddie's brother is awesome.

Anyway, like the rest of you all I cannot wait for DT5, and early reviews are saying that it is very good, a truly excellent read. Looks like it was worth the wait ! If you guys are looking for something to tide you over until then, though, pick up Black House. Really great book and it ties into the Tower books a great deal and really helps to put alot of things in perspective regarding the Tower, the Crimson King, the Breakers, etc.

Also, does anyone else think that Flagg and the Crimson King are one and the same ? King has built up Flagg for so long and for so many years as his penultimate villain, and I cant see Flagg playing second fiddle to anyone.

13. Darth Dark Helmet

Dec 27, 1999
    Anyone seen the Dark Tower companion yet?

I've seen it, but I have no real intrest in buying it. I paged through it, and basically, its just an encylopedia for the Dark Tower series. There didn't seem to me to be any new info, just stuff that you can find in the books.

14. ProfessorNutbudder

Apr 1, 2003
    Calli-Isn't the little boy you mentioned in Insomnia named Jake?

15. Calli

Calli Jedi Master star 4

Aug 17, 2000
    I wanna say it is.... I don't have time to research it at the moment to be 100% sure.

But that boy knows quite a bit about Roland and his world. If memory serves all he does is draw pictures of Roland and his world.

16. Darth Dark Helmet

Dec 27, 1999
    Calli-Isn't the little boy you mentioned in Insomnia named Jake?

The boy's name is Patrick Danville.

Here is an interesting theory on who he is, and what place he might hold in Roland's world.

17. ProfessorNutbudder

Apr 1, 2003
    Thanks Darth Dark Helmet. I don't know how I thought his name was Jake, and I have read Insomnia twice(It must have been the late hour!).
    Also thanks for the link. There is some very interesting reading there.

18. DVader316

Feb 18, 2000
    Very interesting theories on that link there, DDH. I think there may be even more evidence to support that when one considers that King himself has said that Ralph Roberts will play some kind of role in the remainig Tower books...

19. Darth Dark Helmet

Dec 27, 1999
    Yeah, the guy makes some good points and its a good argument. Enough to get me at least considering the idea.

20. Calli

Calli Jedi Master star 4

Aug 17, 2000
    The guy makes some very good points about Patrick.

Definately has me thinking about that possiblity.

21. DVader316

Feb 18, 2000
    Heh, he had me considering it so much that I just ran out and picked up Insomnia. Now I can come up with some of my own theories, and it works out even better because its one of the few King books I havent read yet.

22. Jedi_Master_Anakin

May 25, 2002
    I think that Insomnia idea works perfectly. I didn't see any real flaws. but oh well.

My favorite book is probably Wizard and Glass. At first, I realy hated that book, because I was completely bored of the entire "roland's childhood" story. I thought it was cheesy, and to be honest, uninteresting. But as the story unfolded, it became so interesting to me. THe fact that in less than one book King had me completely inthrawled with these new characters and new places. And in the end I didn't want the story of Susan and Roland to end. Because it seemed to amazing to let go. But of course Susan was killed, so that ruined my hopes of that story. Not to mention finding out that Roland killed his own mother makes this story very sad indeed.

My least favorite? I don't think I have one. Well... I guess if I HAD to choose one, it would have to be The Gunslinger. Don't get me wrong, I love it to death. But I just happen to like the other three better.

Peace and Unity

JMA

23. RubberDuckyfromSpace

Aug 28, 2002
    While I think the Insomnia/Dark Tower theory is quite well thought out, if true it would kind of mean King is writing himself into a corner. Now I know the way I percieve this may stem from my hatred of Susan Delgado (or my hatred of her lack of characterization), but hear me out. If Roland has an actual, factual son, then I think that Jake's purpose in the story is negated (unless Jake is that actual, factual son, which, using the reasoning of the theory, is plausible).

Just a thought.

P.S.-Sorry about the "actual, factual" business, I couldn't resist.

24. Darth Dark Helmet

Dec 27, 1999
    Which is one of the big reasons I'm not sold on the theory, King has spent a lot of time making Jake Roland's surrogate son, and to bring in an actual son would seem somewhat redundant, I don't know.

25. DVader316

Feb 18, 2000
    I agree with both of you. If this turns out to be true than Jake's arc has been seemingly meaningless.

Nice observations, guys.