main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph "Go then, there are other worlds than these." The Dark Tower series discussion;

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jedi_Master_Anakin, Sep 3, 2003.

1. Drew_Atreides

Drew_Atreides Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 30, 2002
    Favourite Dark Tower book: "The Wastelands".. The book possesses one of the best cliffhanger endings i think i've ever read..Really love the character of Blaine..

Least favourite book: "Wizard and Glass": I want to throttle Susan Delgado..She is just SOOOOO dull and whiny, and the romance between Roland and she just TO cliche.. It has literally taken me 2 years to get thru this book (and, to be honest, i'm STILL only 3/4 of the way thru)..Just painfully dull, though it is redeemed by Cuthbert and Alain (they sure deserved some bigger parts!)

2. Calli

Calli Jedi Master star 4

Aug 17, 2000
    Yeah, King has really bult up the Jake/Roland relationship.

Everything about their relationship would then be for nothing, if Roland's real son came into play.

Now I'm playing devil's advocate here, since we're talking about Pat, but Susannah is pregnant, what if Pat's her and Eddie's son? Like I said, I'm playing devil's advocate here.

I'm not saying I believe that or that could anyway be possible.

Drew, keep trudging thru. If memory serves the showdown w/ Roland and Co. vs. The Big Coffin Hunters is real good. I'm re-reading Wizards and Glass and its almost Reap Day at where I'm at.

3. Darth Dark Helmet

Darth Dark Helmet Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 27, 1999
    I odn't know, I think Sussanah and Eddie's kid is going to turn out very badly. I still don't think its even Eddie's, or at least not completely his. The demon in the place where they brought Jake through screwed something up there.

4. RubberDuckyfromSpace

RubberDuckyfromSpace Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 28, 2002
    Ah, it's nice to see someone else who hates Susan with the same passion that I do (so that makes three people that I know of).

5. DVader316

DVader316 Jedi Knight star 7

Feb 18, 2000
    Ahh, good call, DDH. Id forgotten all about that demon from The Waste Lands...

6. RubberDuckyfromSpace

Aug 28, 2002
    Well, there is the chance that the demon was a red herring.

7. Jedi_Master_Anakin

Jedi_Master_Anakin Jedi Master star 4

May 25, 2002
    Yeah, but Roland said that it only might be the demon, not definetely. So it could be a normal child.

Now, I may not dislike Susan Delgado that much. But I will say she isn't my favorite character. However I do think she served her purpose well in the book. I think it was rather neccesary for some one that a character like Roland, to fall in love with some one who isn't as characterized as himself. But that's just me.

Another quick question. Who here has read Browning's "Childe Roland to the Dark Tower came"? I read it again recently, and I just realized again how much of The Dark Tower comes from there. It's really cool. Anyway,...

Peace and Unity

JMA

8. RubberDuckyfromSpace

Aug 28, 2002
    No, I can't say as I've read Browning's poem, though I am moderately interested, I guess I'm just not interested enough to actually go out there and try to read it.

As for Susan, I do think a love story really works if one of the lovers is less characterized than the other. I mean, to me Susan and Roland didn't come off as being in love, but as ****buddies. Susan may as well have been Roland's left hand.

9. Darth Dark Helmet

Dec 27, 1999
    But, I think at 14, that feeling can be very much confused with love, especially when you've had as minimal romantic contact with woman as Roland has had before and since.

I've read the poem, its been awhile, but I have. Its a pretty interesting read, and you can see a lot of the influence its had ont he saga.

10. RubberDuckyfromSpace

Aug 28, 2002
    Even if that is the case, King still could have given Susan a personality, I mean, even the donkey had a personality.

And it's probably unfair of me to hate Susan, it's not her fault she was poorly written.

But I hate her anyway! Muahahahahahahahahaha!

11. Drew_Atreides

Apr 30, 2002
    ..naw, i truly believe that if any one literary character could affect their own level of sucktitude, it would be Susan Delgado :p

"Roland! I love thee!"

12. DVader316

Feb 18, 2000
    Heh, I couldnt stand the way Susan and the people in her village talked.

13. Calli

Calli Jedi Master star 4

Aug 17, 2000
    I guess I'm the only person who didn't mind Susan.

I mean, most teenage girls are annoying. I'll tell you I was annoying when I was her age. I think King's characterization of that age was dead-on. But thats just me.

14. RubberDuckyfromSpace

Aug 28, 2002
    But King didn't characterize her. She may as well have been a cardboard cut-out, this is what I've been trying to say. Not only is she not a character, she may even be an anti-character, making all characters around her less interesting.

15. wild_karrde

wild_karrde Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 8, 1999
    Going to be starting the series once I finish re-reading The Stand :)

16. Drew_Atreides

Apr 30, 2002
    ...yeah, i would concur..
    Susan was definitely a black hole of suck, sucking all of those characters around her down in every scene she appeared in.. :p

I sure hope Roland's able to reach escape velocity before he reaches Susan's event horizon..

17. Darth Dark Helmet

Dec 27, 1999
    I guess I'm the only person who didn't mind Susan.

No you're not, I have no real problem with her either.

18. RubberDuckyfromSpace

Aug 28, 2002
    And moving to the 3-D model, we can even see Susan's cone of vapidity.

19. DVader316

Feb 18, 2000
    I didnt hate her but I wasnt exactly in love with her. To me she was simply the catalyst for Roland's solitary existence, nothing more.

20. Calli

Calli Jedi Master star 4

Aug 17, 2000
    No you're not, I have no real problem with her either.

Good, I was starting to feel out numbered here. *grins*

I'm not going to try and get anyone to like her. She was needed in the story, granted it was just to show another side of Roland's tragic tale.

I hope we find out what exactly happens to Alain and Cuthburt. I remember reading in 1 of the books Burt dies with a smile or grin on his face.

21. RubberDuckyfromSpace

Aug 28, 2002
    Yeah, I'm guessing we Susan haters are a small but vociferously obstreperous minority.

22. DVader316

Feb 18, 2000
    Well, at least you didnt have to put up with her for more than one book, right ? ;)

23. Darth Dark Helmet

Dec 27, 1999
    Actually, I heard book six's title is being changed to "Susan sings the Song of Susan, by Susan."

24. Drew_Atreides

Apr 30, 2002
    *drops an anvil on Dark Helmet*

Haha.. HILARIOUS :p (i won't sleep for a week, now)

25. ProfessorNutbudder

ProfessorNutbudder Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 1, 2003
    lol Darth Dark Helmet.