main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph "Go then, there are other worlds than these." The Dark Tower series discussion;

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jedi_Master_Anakin, Sep 3, 2003.

1. RubberDuckyfromSpace

RubberDuckyfromSpace Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 28, 2002
    I don't know, that wouldn't be so bad, as long as Susan died a thousand horrible deaths (and none of that "a coward dies a thousand times" metaphor crap, I mean a thousand actual physical deaths, preferably in an overly elaborate and exotic manner).

2. Drew_Atreides

Drew_Atreides Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 30, 2002
    Chapter 1: Susan and the Meatgrinder.

Chapter 2: Atomic bomb in the outer Baronies.

Chapter 3: Roland does William Tell (aka Even a Gunslinger misses, sometimes)

3. Darth Dark Helmet

Darth Dark Helmet Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 27, 1999
    Chapter 4: The ressurection of Susan's Love

Chapter 5: Susan: The Early Years

Chapter 6: How to be a Gilly

Chapter 7: Susan gets to run and shoot and be happy

4. RubberDuckyfromSpace

RubberDuckyfromSpace Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 28, 2002
    Chapter 8: Susan's Chainsaw "Axe"-ident

Chapter 9: Susan and the Deadly Motaba Virus

Chapter 10: Could the Virus Kill the Grimace?

Chapter 11: Nothing Can Kill the Grimace

5. The_Rum_Diarist

The_Rum_Diarist Jedi Youngling

Sep 10, 2003
    If I had to choose my favorite of the series it would be The Gunslinger. "The man in Black fled across the desert and the Gunslinger followed." What a great beginning. But To be honest, I haven't been as impressed with the subsequent volumes. And I just can't get into digging into every other King book just for this clue or that character. Not that the books aren't good on their own, just that I dislike having to scour the earth for them (and some of them just bore me to tears like The Stand).

6. Calli

Calli Jedi Master star 4

Aug 17, 2000
    Chapter 6: How to be a Gilly

LOL!! Helmet I was rolling with that one.

7. Drew_Atreides

Apr 30, 2002
    *LOL* "Will this administration ever bring the Hamburglar to justice? "

"Clerks" the Cartoon is seriously one of the funniest things i've ever seen...

It deserved a much better fate..

(apologies for going off topic, but that Grimace-stuff had me laughing out loud)

"I'm Big Mac. Beloved constable and best friend to Ronald McDonald. Now are there any questions about the virus?"

*Ahem*

Just so that this is partially dark tower-related:

"Roland if you love me, then love me."

8. Jedi_Master_Anakin

Jedi_Master_Anakin Jedi Master star 4

May 25, 2002
    Eh?

Well, I just reserved my copy of Wolves of the Calla. I am sure its going to rock!

Peace and Unity

JMA

9. Calli

Calli Jedi Master star 4

Aug 17, 2000
    Whats the release date for that?

I can't recall. I'm almost done re-reading "Wizards and Glass".

SPOILER ALERT for those who haven't read book 4!

I'm at the point where Roland and Co. now have the Wizards Glass and he's looking inside and hears the voice of the Turtle. I forgot he sees Oy impaled on a tree, in his vision and thats the Turtle tells him, he's gonna kill everyone he loves in his quest for the tower.

10. Darth Dark Helmet

Dec 27, 1999
    Nov. 4.

Did you buy one of the expensive limited edition things?

11. Calli

Calli Jedi Master star 4

Aug 17, 2000
    Thanks Helmet.

Whats the difference in regular and expensive version here?

Ohhh this is the DT site I go too.

http://www.darktowercompendium.com/

It just has a about everything. Very good stuff. Also has some shots up from the art in Book 5. Theres a great shot of Roland w/ his gun drawn.

12. Darth Dark Helmet

Dec 27, 1999
    I think the only real difference is the released date and its a bit fancier book, so there are only a limited number sold.

13. Jedi_Master_Anakin

May 25, 2002
    Whats the release date for the "limited edition" and whats the price? If you know of course.

Yeah, that part made me really sad that Roland will kill everyone he loves on his quest to the tower. Sad, sad stuff.

Peace and Unity

JMA

14. DVader316

DVader316 Jedi Knight star 7

Feb 18, 2000
    According to stephenking.com, the limited edition will be a hardcover novel complete with illustrations by Bernie Wrightson. Amazon has the list price as $35 (which seems really steep) but they're selling it for $24.50.

Then the trade paperback edition will be released in June 2004, with the mass market paperback not being released until sometime in 2006.

15. Calli

Calli Jedi Master star 4

Aug 17, 2000
    Ok, I'm seriously leaning to get the revised version of "The Gunslinger".

Since we are 'The Dark Tower', those who have it, whats you're take on it? Basically is it worth?

16. DVader316

Feb 18, 2000
    What do you all think is the connection between Walter / Flagg / The Crimson King. Do you think that they are all one in the same ?

17. Calli

Calli Jedi Master star 4

Aug 17, 2000
    What do you all think is the connection between Walter / Flagg / The Crimson King. Do you think that they are all one in the same ?

I think they are 3 different people. That Walter and Flagg are like underlings for The Crimson King.

18. DVader316

Feb 18, 2000
    Well, if youre theory is true I can see Walter as an underling of the Crimson King, but certainly not Flagg. I dont know, maybe its because King has built him up as the penultimate villain, literally the embodiment of evil, but I just dont see Flagg taking orders from anyone. In fact, I think that he may just be the Crimson King...

19. Darth Dark Helmet

Dec 27, 1999
    No, more and more, I don't think Flagg is the Crimson King. I did for awhile but now all the talk is how the CK is trapped in the upper levels of the Tower. Flagg may be the same as Walter, and I'm pretty sure he's also the Ageless Stranger, but the CK is something else that we haven't seen yet. Flagg is powerful, and may be as high as the King's right hand man, but they're not the same.

20. Drew_Atreides

Apr 30, 2002
    ...ultimate embodiment of all that is evil...

Hmm..

Ya know, now my money's on SUSAN being the CRIMSON KING (if the shoe fits....)

21. Jedi_Daniel

Jedi_Daniel Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 16, 2002
    I have a theory Oy will probably be the one to make it to the Dark Tower. Or at least... I hope so.

22. Jedi_Master_Anakin

May 25, 2002
    WHy Oy? You know what? ACtually don't tell me.

Well my take is that CK is inside the tower, and is like a God in a way. Flagg/Marten/Ageless stanger/Merlin is his right hand man, who hates Roland because of his quest. However... Walter is/was just a greedy sorcerer. He helped Farson because it benefitted him. But, I think that in the end he helped Roland just because he could.

So I think that CK cannot be Flagg because he is stuck in the Tower. Flagg cannot be Walter because Flagg wants Roland to stop his quest, but Walter helped Roland along to the Tower, with the proper warnings of course. So I think they are all different.

So... Who do you guys/girls think will die in the rest of the series?

Peace and Unity

JMA

23. Calli

Calli Jedi Master star 4

Aug 17, 2000
    I don't think Susannah will, because of her pregnancy.

Honestly, I think its gonna come down to Jake and Eddie.

Roland, has been scrapping by death, by the skin of his teeth, thru this whole quest and sooner or later its gonna catch up to him. As he says "Its Ka."

Don't get me wrong, I want all of them to make it to the Tower, I've read King's "The Stand" and not all of them survived.

Maybe Flagg is CK's #2? The only time I know of the CK being out of the tower is during Insomina when he's trying to crash the plan into where they are holding the rally, to kill the little boy named Pat.

24. DVader316

Feb 18, 2000
    In The Waste Lands wasnt there a scene where it was revealed who was pulling the Tick Tock Man's strings ? Im pretty sure the guy said that he was the Ageless Stranger, and he also said that he's gone by the name Richard Fannin, and right there we have the old R.F. initials. So wouldnt that prove that Marten and Flagg are indeed the same guy ? Unless Flagg was intentionally misleading the gunslingers...

Anyway, as far as who will make it to the Tower, my Dad and I were discussing it and we both think that it will be Roland and Jake who make it in the end, just like how it was at the beginning of the series...

25. Jedi_Master_Anakin

May 25, 2002
    Personally, I believe that Roland HAS to make it.

The quest was started with him, and I know he could die, because Eddie and the rest of them want the tower as well. But I think that only Roland has the power to do what needs to be done at the tower. So I think that him, Jake, and maybe Eddie will make it. Susanah I think is doomed.

Peace and Unity

JMA