main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph "Go then, there are other worlds than these." The Dark Tower series discussion;

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jedi_Master_Anakin, Sep 3, 2003.

1. DVader316

DVader316 Jedi Knight star 7

Feb 18, 2000
    I agree, Roland HAS TO make it to the final battle at The Tower. Anything else would be anticlimactic, IMO.

I also agree that Susannah is doomed. I say she's gone by DT6.

2. RubberDuckyfromSpace

RubberDuckyfromSpace Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 28, 2002
    I don't know about Susannah, but I wouldn't have any problem with Roland not making it. I actually think it would make a lot of sense if Roland dies before getting to the Tower.

But hey, that's just my opinion.

3. Jedi_Daniel

Jedi_Daniel Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 16, 2002
    I think whoever dies on their way to the Dark Tower, will be brought back by whoever makes it to the Dark Tower.

4. Special_Fred

Special_Fred Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 30, 2003
    Sorry, but I'm new to this thread. I just picked up the first four books at Costco. I'm halfway through The Waste Lands, and I'm really enjoying the series so far.

I was wondering (hopefully this hasn't been discussed before) what/where/when do you think Roland's world really is? I'm getting the impression that it's Earth a few thousand years from now. It seems there's been a nuclear war (hence the reason Roland keeps encountering mutated animals like the lobstrosities), and humankind has survived another Dark Age. I think. Anyone else care to comment?

Oh, and don't worry about spoiling me.

5. RubberDuckyfromSpace

Aug 28, 2002
    Well, when I first read The Gunslinger I thought maybe Roland's world was some sort of wacky afterlife. I actually think that that might be a part of it. Right now I'm leaning towards it just being one of many parallel dimensions, it just happens to be the one where spacetime is being visibly torn apart. And possibly the place where it can be repaired.

Also, I have this crudely worded theory: Roland's world is actually a very elaborate Stephen King crossover fanfic that King just leant his name to.

I seriously doubt the truth of that last theory.

6. Jedi_Daniel

Jedi_Daniel Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 16, 2002
    Well in Wizard and Glass, Jonas (I think it was Jonas), Notes strange old, barely recognizable, metal stagecoach like things with the word Chevrolet barely legible on it.

I?m thinking it?s another dimension of our world, in the future.

7. Calli

Calli Jedi Master star 4

Aug 17, 2000
    I think its a very distant future, which I've always thought its the very distant future of what happened in "The Stand".

Jonas also mentions "Citgo".

8. Jedi_Master_Anakin

Jedi_Master_Anakin Jedi Master star 4

May 25, 2002
    Wizard and Glass also mentions Chevron, Citgo, and a few other gasoline and oil manufactorers

Peace and Unity

JMA

9. Calli

Calli Jedi Master star 4

Aug 17, 2000
    Yeah, he does. Citgo was the only one which stuck in my head.

And there is a quote in there about Farson wanting to use the machines of old for his war, can't remember exactly where in Wizards and Glass its at.

10. Darth Dark Helmet

Darth Dark Helmet Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 27, 1999
    I don't think its our world int he future or anything like that. I go with the idea that simply at one point, way int he past of Roland, traveling to other worlds through the door was simply much more ocmmon. And people who went through, saw and heard things that they liked and brought some of them back.

11. DorkmanScott

DorkmanScott Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Reading through this thread, I realized how long it's been since I read the books. I gotta plow through again before Wolves of the Calla or I'll be lost!

I don't remember which was my fav, but I think it was the Drawing of the Three.

The thing that has always haunted me about Roland's world is the existence -- and seeming IMPORTANCE -- of "Hey, Jude." I don't get it, but it's so creepy it's brilliant.

I do think King has been mostly making it up as he goes along, but to be entirely honest that's what I love MOST about the books. The way they steam forward so unpredictably because HE doesn't even know what's going to happen next.

Great series, love it love it.

EDIT: Oh, and as to someone saying that they couldn't picture Flagg as playing second fiddle to anyone, I think that's the point King is trying to make. Flagg (what's the deal with his RF fetish anyway?) is the epitome of evil -- and the Crimson King is worse.

That's really all you have to say to make it immediately apparent to the Constant Reader how important it is that the King does not escape the Tower, don't you think?

M. Scott

12. DVader316

Feb 18, 2000
    Yea, I guess I can see that.

13. Jedi_Master_Anakin

Jedi_Master_Anakin Jedi Master star 4

May 25, 2002
    I agree fully. I can't wait to see the Crimson King. In my head of course with the masterful imagery King has always given me.

Peace and Unity

JMA

14. DVader316

Feb 18, 2000
    Im going to start reading Salem's Lot tomorrow to tide me over with a little King until DT5 comes out. :cool:

15. Calli

Calli Jedi Master star 4

Aug 17, 2000
    I started that and made it about half-way thru it. Seen the mini-series though.

I suppose I might want to read it, so I know exactly who Father Flallangen(sp) is.

16. DVader316

Feb 18, 2000
    I think that youre referring to Father Callahan. ;)

17. Calli

Calli Jedi Master star 4

Aug 17, 2000
    *grins*

Yeah, him.

18. DVader316

Feb 18, 2000
    Just finished Salem's Lot about an hour ago and I must say that I really enjoyed it. It was much better than I thought it'd be when I started it.

Ill be damned if I know how King is going to tie Father Callahan into the Tower books, though...

19. RubberDuckyfromSpace

Aug 28, 2002
    Well, I haven't read Salem's Lot but I'm guessing that King will just explain it away as another example of how screwed up Roland's world has become.

20. DVader316

Feb 18, 2000
    Yea, youre probably right.

21. Darth Dark Helmet

Dec 27, 1999
    I think its probably fairly simple. After what happened to him with Barlow, if I remember, he was beaten in the fight and forced to drink Barlow's blood, he didn't feel like a part of this world anymore. Somewhere in his travels, he probably came across a door, or some other way into Roland's world, and took it. Seeing it as a way to completly leave every aspect of his failure behind him.

22. DVader316

Feb 18, 2000
    Good theories, DDH. Sounds pretty solid to me. The real question is, will Callahan be a full fledged vampire in DT or something completely different ?

Either way I feel bad for him, because according to King in the Author's Note at the end of Wizard and Glass, Callahan is on the border of Thunderclap itself...

23. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000
    King has hinted in recent interviews that the "Roland's World = The Stand World" theory may not be so farfetched...

24. Darth Dark Helmet

Dec 27, 1999
    I don't think Callahan is a Vampire of any sorts. He wasn't bitten by Barlow, he was just forced to drink, and I think in at least King's universe, its the bite that causes it. Callahan is just, unclean, if you will.

25. Calli

Calli Jedi Master star 4

Aug 17, 2000
    Exactly helemt!

He's forever unclean because he drank the blood of something unnatural and evil.

He's tainted if you will.