main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Knox, TN Goals for the Knoxville Chapter in 2003

Discussion in 'SouthEast Regional Discussion' started by Jar Jar, Jan 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jar Jar

Jar Jar Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 13, 1998
    Well, there is a lot to discuss here, so I'll get right to it:

1. Have a table at Adventure Con 2
    This goal is already a set up with the con and a request has already been placed for the FanForce banner, but I am leaving it as a goal until the con has occured. This will be the absolute best chance to advertise this chapter this year period, so it is not to be missed.

2. Have a Website
    This is also a very important way to advertise us and we need to look into it. We don;t need a domain per se and definitely not a forum, but just a web presence would help give folks a place to look at news. As I have said before I have a server and all we really need is graphics and a webmaster so this should and can happen this year. The earlier the better.

3. Grow and Balance the TSWCG and FF Forum
    This is my wish for the year, and I know it's easily possible but currently it's not happening. The issue is that we basically have a see-saw effect with the two boards where one gets used and then the other one does. One gets one set of news and the other gets other news. We need to share information and announcements between our forums because this would greatly help accomplish the next goal:

4.)Improve Communications and Relations
    between TSWCG and FanForce

There is a gap in membership that is understandable because we meet at different times of the week, but we also have been lax in letting each other know what the other is doing. This only hurts both groups and serves no purpose so from now on all FF events will be posted in TSWCG's Forums and TSWCG is welcome to do the same here. It's just good sense.

5.)Have one outing/Possible mulitiple FF chapter get-together this year
    We have some offers on the table for possible outings to do this year. John has offered his place to watch some interesting movies, there was mention of going to the theater and watch something, and I'm sure we could have thought of some other things up but we had moved on.

As far as the multiple Chapter get-together is concerned, the best possiblity for this is at Ad Con 2 this year. I will start seeing who all is planning to attend and we will use our table as a place where folks can "check in" as they arrive. This has potential, so we will look into it as we get closer to the event.

6.)Watch The Star Wars Holiday Special at least once
    It always amazes me that fans of the saga have never seen the Holiday Special. Yes, it is god awful and may even challenge your sanity, but it's a part of Star Wars that is completely awesome because it's so bad. Besides that, the 70's commercials are great to watch and I really want a Reggie bar right now just thinking about it. It is camp film to the tenth power and awesome to laugh at, so we'll do it some time.

7.)At least occasionally, meet more than once a month
    I am trying it out this month, but if it works out, we may do it again from time to time. It's something that can be fun, so I say let's at least try it out out. I have a thread up on this matter here, so check it out if you're interested in meeting again this month.

8.)T-Shirts, Caps, Pajamas, and all things wearable
    We have been talking about this forever and I know we all want it, but until recently the means to make a good fan art image for such a thing just wasn't there. Greg Jarnigan, who attended for the first time this month and is an amazingly talented artist, is willing to help us out on this. We talked about a design to use and if I am not mistaken he is working on something for us to use. Mr. Hudgens has some information on a printer for the shirts, so if everything lines up we may have at least a FanForce shirt within a month or less.

More on this as it develops.

9.)Increase campus advertising/Increase General Advertising
    I agree with this 100% and Dave has agreed to help on the campus part. Anyone near or on campus can help with this and if you need any flyers or w

2. Minacia_Brightstar

Minacia_Brightstar Jedi Youngling star 5

May 23, 2001
    All those are realistic, and well thought-out, goals. If there is any help I can give you to help your group achieve these goals, please let me know. :)

As far as the idea of a multiple FF meeting goes, I don't know if any of you are planning on attending Dragon*Con in Atlanta this year, but we (the Atlanta FanForce) will probably be hosting another FF dinner. The one we held last year was attended by members of FF groups from all across the country. It was tons of fun! I would hope to see some of you this year, if possible. :)

3. tennesseejedi

tennesseejedi Jedi Youngling star 1

May 27, 2001
    James,

what did you find out about the Regal banners? is it costly?

like i said at the last meeting, i have a very good copy (the infamous Detroit version) of the SW Holiday Special which i picked up at Motorcitycon a few years ago. I also have the "lost" cast auditions for SW that were done in 1975 with some pretty famous people auditioning for the Han, Leia, and Luke roles. funny stuff.

also, Thumb Wars is one of my personal favorites. we will have to watch that as well sometime. I'm sure Fenn has a few SW funnies he can dig up for us too. :)

--Brett--

4. cutiger

cutiger Jedi Youngling

Sep 4, 2002
    Mmmmmm, Reggie Bar! I had forgotten about those. LOL!

Anyway, great job on the goals. They're definitely achievable. I'll try to help where I can but that may be very limited at the moment.

Barry

PS Thumb Wars is pretty funny. I got it for Christmas and made the family sit through it. If you get the chance, definitely watch it.

5. TanthosJorlac

TanthosJorlac Jedi Youngling

Nov 23, 2001
    I know I've been dying to watch the Holiday Special again. I haven't seen it since it originally aired.
    I like what you have come up with as far as the group's goals. Like I have stated, I hope to be able to contribute more to both this FF group AND the TSWCG this year. A new job with changing work schedules and a second job on the weekends cuts down on my free time. The free time that I do have is spent with either my wife or working on my costuming group, the Jedi Assembly.

6. Padawan519

Padawan519 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 15, 2002
    Sounds good to me, I look forward to it :)

7. Padawan519

May 15, 2002
    I should say, it sounds good, save for the Holiday Special-I am frightened of watching it. It sounds truly horrid.

8. Jar Jar

Jul 13, 1998
    Don't fear the reaper! :D

Seriously it's not that bad.. Well yeah, it's worse, but like I said it's really funny because of it. It's definitely worth seeing once if you love Star Wars IMO, but that may not be true for everyone.

9. Kador

Kador Jedi Youngling

Sep 30, 2001
    I think a good goal would be to drop any mention of Vol from the Fanforce chapter name. Ewww whats next? Bright orange droids?

10. Alli

Alli Jedi Youngling

Apr 13, 2002
    Spreading campus awareness of the Knoxville FanForce means on the UT campus right? *pouts* What about ETSU? I think Im like..the only one posting on these boards from this area (Kingsport/Johnson City).

Please tell me Im wrong! :(

11. tionnesharp

tionnesharp Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 25, 2002
    Umm, umm, I agree with the dropping of the "Vol" nomer. I'm sorry if this offends, but not every one in E Tenn is a Vols fan. I love Pat Head, but, really. If you want more members....open up to "non-UT" fans.

12. Padawan519

May 15, 2002
    I don't see any reference to the Vols in our title. Besides, if you don't like it, you're unpatriotic, and can leave promptly ;)

Anyways, you don't have to be a Vol fan to be in our group. If you are, great!! If you're not, well, nobody's perfect :) We'll still welcome you. You just have to like Star Wars. And be willing to put up with our myriad eccentricities :)

13. Jar Jar

Jul 13, 1998
    I'm not a vol sports fan myself, but I do like the nickname and to be honest it has grown on me. First off, the nickname is just that, a nickname. It is there for fun and not as a "like the vols or hit the road" type thing. Secondly, that nickname was the nickname that was voted for a few months ago when everyone had their chance to nominate names and vote for what they wanted.

Thirdly, even Samuel L. Jackson, yes Jedi Master Mace Windu himself, is a big-time fan of vol football and U.T. Women's basketball, so that's a good enough endorsement for me. In all seriousness if anyone on this board seriously takes offense to the chapter's nickname please lighten up a bit. Vol sports and the sunsphere are what this place we call home is recognized for and the sunsphere is in a distant second. I can't think of anything else even comes close to that.

So to sum it up, the nickname stays unless a better one is thought up and folks would rather have it, simple as that.. :p

14. Padawan519

May 15, 2002
    I had totally forgotten that the Baddest Mufugga this side of....well, the Baddest Mufugga around, Sam Jackson, is a Vol fan, as he's a Chattanooga native. You're right, James, that is a great endorsement :)

15. TheWombat

TheWombat Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 9, 2002
    I remember I had this theory, going into AOTC, that he'd have a Big Orange lightsaber. Oh well, purple looks pretty good too.

16. katha

katha Jedi Master star 2

Jan 30, 2002
    *waves at Alli* I'm here, you're not alone

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.