main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph [The Worst] Eric Clapton

Discussion in 'Community' started by jp-30, Dec 15, 2006.

1. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    This is the thread for Darth Guy and myself to post to each other the Clapton related stuff that we usually send by PM. Of course other Clapton fans are more than welcome to join in the discussions too.

No doubt the thread will occassionally be punctuated by the usual predictable trolling that Guitarist X is/was better / faster / louder / more innovative than Clapton. He or she probably is, in your opinion. I don't really care. And yes, he is old. Early 60s. He still plays better guitar than you and the horse you rode in on.

Official Site

Eric's blog (mostly photos)

Best fan site "Where's Eric"

I'll use this thread to post cool YouTube finds, live concert links (Wolfgang's Vault etc) and other such goodness. And maybe have some discussion on the man and his music.

Eric's latest release is an [link=http://www.whereseric.com/news/2006/09/guitar-legends-jj-cale-eric-clapton-cd-release-the-road-to-escondido.html]album recorded with long-time influence[/link], the sparce coutry-blues rocker JJ Cale (who has been kept in good money over the years by Clapton's covers of After Midnight and Cocaine).

He's just wrapped up the Japan leg of his world tour (I'm due to see him play for the 2nd time ever (first time was on his last visit to New Zealand 16 years ago) in late January). His setlist by the end of the Japan tour contained not a single track from his latest solo album "Back Home", but had [link=http://tinyurl.com/ygglu4]SEVEN[/link] tracks from the seminal Derek & the Dominos album [i]Layla and other Assorted Love Songs[/i].

[b]Darth_Guy[/b], the batsignal's up...

2. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005

http://youtube.com/watch?v=BXTrmwQuSZQ :D

3. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Guitarist X is/was better / faster / louder / more innovative than Clapton. :cool:

4. NorCalBirdz

NorCalBirdz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 28, 2004
    Point me to some of Clapton's greatest material. Because the only music of his I own is a ten-track greatest hits and there is nothing, absolutely nothing, on there that makes me say "Wow". As such he is currently at the top of my list of most overrated guitarist ever. Please prove me wrong.

5. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Um... albums focusing on his guitar skills?

Bluesbreakers with Eric Clapton
    Fresh Cream
    Live Cream Volumes 1 and 2
    Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs
    Live at the Fillmore

...and pretty much every other live material he's recorded.

6. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    When he comes to Memphis, he goes to Rum Boogie and jams with B.B. :cool:

7. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    What / who are you into, will give me a better idea of what in Clapton's repertoire might push the same buttons. Though if you can download Derek & The Dominos "Layla & Other Assorted Love Songs" from iTunes (or, I dunno, go buy the CD) that pretty much covers the best studio work of his career. Blues, rock, R&B, pop. And blistering guitar work from him and Duane Allmann. Also, his vocals on that album are stunning, and work so well with keyboardist Bobby Whitlock.

8. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    I've seen him play with BB :D

9. Star_Rocker

Star_Rocker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2006
    Eric Clapton is awesome. He is getting on a bit though. Still a great musician.

10. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    Thrill is Gone!

11. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    B.B. has his own club that I think where they've played together mostly. But I saw it at Rum Boogie. I was at a corporate sales meeting on the Memphis Queen, we went to Rum Boogie after the boat ride and it was packed. We didn't realize what was going on, but it was standing room only. While we're at the bar, lo and behold, who walks in but Eric Clapton (along with 5 or 6 body guards, and entourage and Sheryl Crowe). After a bit they announce that B.B.'s there and they're going to jam. It was awesome.

12. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    BB is one of the most genuine, down to earth people you will ever have the pleasure of meeting.... good guy. :)

13. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    Sweeet. He was dating Crow for a while. Where did you see them Harps?

Darth Guy, check out Bobby Whitlock's new version of Layla on his Myspace. Bloody good except where it speeds up and matches the Dominos arrangement coming out of the choruses, then it just sounds stupid. Wish they'd kept the slow blues feeling throughout...

14. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Early August 2000-ish... West coast...

I hear they've got dates booked for early 2007 :D

March - ish, I think... :)

15. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    The the US North-West leg is going on various presales about now. Here's the info here.

16. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Here's?

*looks*

Wha?

:p

Woah....three months from now.... so there! :D

17. DARTH_CORLEONE

DARTH_CORLEONE Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 26, 2001
    This is one of my guitars, and my favorite.

[image=http://img523.imageshack.us/img523/2861/gibsones335tdkn7.jpg]

For nearly all my life, I was jonesin' for one of these, until I was finally able to get one several years back. Why this particular axe?

[image=http://www.vintagegroove.co.uk/graphics/cream.jpg]

18. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    Nice Gibson!

You seen the crazy Blackie replica Fender have got? Err, sold out of?

Edit: just noticed the intricate detail of the replicas, but they left the freakin' tremelo arm in. :confused:

19. DARTH_CORLEONE

DARTH_CORLEONE Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 26, 2001
    I actually played the one they had at Matt Umanov Gtrs here in NYC a while back through a genuine '59 Twin, since I know the owners pretty well. No big deal, and certainly not better than some of the better custom distressed vintage Strats that lots of folks make these days...and defintely not worth the money. Matt at 30th Street Vintage was making dead-on SRV replicas back in the early 90's, worn finish and all. 'Course I had to have one! ;) Here it is:

[image=http://img452.imageshack.us/img452/8043/num1rx3.jpg]

20. YouAgain

YouAgain Jedi Master star 5

Dec 20, 2001
    I can play a few clapton songs, they are great to just start playing to get girls attention and stuff at partys...

21. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    I am going to see Clapton live in February 2007 :D Looking forward to it very much.

22. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Tickets for his March concert at the Pond go on sale to the general public in 2 days. :D

23. YoungAngus

YoungAngus Jedi Master star 5

May 7, 2005
    [image=http://www.jctroy.com/Artists/Clapton%20is%20God.jpg]

24. Darth_wanderguard

Darth_wanderguard Game Host star 6 VIP - Game Host

Apr 26, 2005
    I like Clapton okay. I like his approahc to guitar playing, in that he focused more on the little things, like being able ot bend and vibrato properly before he tried anything fancy, and he's got great precision, but at the same time I think his blues guitar is overrated. His rock is awesome (see: Cream) but his blues is lacking in soul for me. Technically, he's got it going on, but other than that I find that Stevie Ray Vaughan, Jimmy Vaughan, B.B. King, Son House, and Robert Johnson all bury Clapton as bluesmen.

And he seems to have a superiority complex too.

25. Armenian_Jedi

Armenian_Jedi Force Ghost star 7

Mar 14, 2003
    He's no Tupac.