main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC God Exists.

Discussion in 'Community' started by Rogue_Ten, Jun 3, 2013.

?

God Exists.

1. yes

40.5%
  2. no

31.7%
  3. nnnnnNNNNOOOOOOOOO!!!!

17.5%
  4. dunno

27.8%
  5. no curr

4.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    Except that lotteries definitely exist.

2. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Whatever I worship Kevin Bacon and Nic Cage as gods anyway.

CloneUncleOwen likes this.
  3. Son of a Bith

Son of a Bith Jedi Master star 4

Feb 28, 2013
  4. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    You sure?

5. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006

[​IMG]

Emperor_Billy_Bob likes this.
  6. CloneUncleOwen

CloneUncleOwen Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2009

[​IMG]

7. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Grew up with a raised-Protestant mom who's just spiritual now, a raised-Catholic dad who's atheist now, an atheist sister, atheist cousins, Jewish cousins, Catholic cousins, Protestant cousins, Buddhist cousin, UU cousin, etc. Felt no pressure from my parents. Only pressure I've ever had has come from my atheist older cousin, and it wasn't real pressure.

8. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    By Civilization V rules you should be feeling a lot of pressure.

9. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    So your father is now an athiest, or was then?

10. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Always I think. Neither of my parents talk much about their beliefs, there's been no pressure.

11. LostOnHoth

LostOnHoth Chosen One star 5

Feb 15, 2000
    But didn't you know that only Christians believe in the One True God™.

12. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
  13. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    I AM THE GREAT AND POWERFUL CAGE

Healer_Leona likes this.
  14. CloneUncleOwen

CloneUncleOwen Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2009

[​IMG]

Damn you. Damn all of you.

My portents... my dreams...

I, and I alone hold the future.

KNEEL BEFORE CAGE!

15. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
  16. EvilQ

EvilQ Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 8, 2013
    They need one where the academy award-winning actor is arm-wrestling the talentless hack.

17. OBIWAN-JR

OBIWAN-JR Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 25, 2002
    This is the way I see it, Debo—devoting your life to God does not necessarily mean one has to become a priest of a particular religion; one can devote one's life to God by trying to live a Godly life every day.

"BE the change you wish to see in the world."

One is defined by one's actions, not by one's words. And IMHO—based on what my heart tells me—God is happy with that.

It is my belief that God exists. This is based on my experiencing God in my Life. However, I am not a part of any religion; I am a spiritualist. Therefore, thankfully, I do not have to explain away some of the more choice elements of ANY of the Holy texts.

I know my Truth.

And I know His/Hers.

-JR :)

yankee8255 and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  18. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    Jay Jay, is this god you describe strictly necessary, though? that is, could you not replace the word "god" in your post with "goodness"?

one can devote one's life to "goodness" by trying to live a good life every day; helping others, being a friend, not becoming an axe murderer, supporting United. to do good in life for good's sake, not for any kind of reward or peace of mind.

p.s. you should post more. i miss you.

V-2 likes this.
  19. timmoishere

Jun 2, 2007
    So, by "trying to live a Godly life," are you slaughtering people by the thousands or millions? Are you giving your inferiors a complex set of laws that they can't possibly hope to meet? Are you invisible? Do you help football players score touchdowns and give promotions to CEOs but do nothing to help starving children or victims of natural disasters? Do you torture people forever for not believing in you?

Please clarify.

20. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    No it was a typo and they're actually "trying to live a Grodly life" so they're hunting down members of the Justice League.

21. timmoishere

Jun 2, 2007
    My favorite part of the Bible is when God gives us all free will, and then he kills everyone for not behaving the way he wanted.

22. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Yeah, what kind of parent sets his children on fire for disobeying a set of laws, one of which includes "You must worship me"?

Behavior that would warrant a call to DSS in our world is supposed to come from a "loving" God. No thanks.

23. Son of a Bith

Son of a Bith Jedi Master star 4

Feb 28, 2013

24. hear+soul

hear+soul Jedi Master star 6

Nov 5, 2004
    super busy the last couple days, but back- jumping in as I see- know I have a lot to catch up on and stuff to answer from way back...

No, I don't think you can.

Experiencing God is not the same as experiencing goodness, though, surely, when you experience God, you are experiencing goodness. But, to have an interaction with God is powerful, and not easily explained away, especially when confronted with His faithfulness and/or continual instances of his power and glory or his saving grace.

Also, doing good or being good, I would say (shifting away from what epic said to my own beliefs), is not what following Christ is about, first of all, because it comes with the foundational notion that we are not good. We do not warrant God's goodness. His goodness is in spite of our badness, which is to say that grace and forgiveness is a defining characteristic of God. Also, doing good works flows out of faith in and love for God, which comes from God, so the non-theistic notion that all of this flows out of self is not in accordance with the beliefs, themselves. First there must be a flow in, then there may be a flow out.
    But he doesn't set you on fire just for doing the wrong thing or not believing in or loving him. Are you on fire? he gives you a million and one chances to choose him over you. It's the same as being a parent. You have a child, knowing the risks, knowing they will be their own people and may reject you, even though all you want is for them to succeed and love you and to feel and know your love... But, eventually, they may choose to reject you and go their own way, apart from you.

Now, are their ultimate consequences? Yes. But, for now, every single day, you are confronted with good things, all day long, and a million chances, and forgiveness for free, with the only qualifiers being repentance (which you must have in order to ask for forgiveness) and belief (which is from God, anyway, so even the desire to believe, and the hope of truth, I believe, is belief enough, as it will grow.)
    Of course, this is an oversimplification, and missing an important piece. If you believe, God has confronted you. Because God has made himself known to you, and because you wish to seek him out more, you will probably be led to the Bible, because it is his word. As you are reading, you are evaluating and seeking understanding. Often, your heart confirms the truth, or your mind and your experiences... Because I believe God is real... because he has touched my life and my heart.. because it makes sense and lines up with my experiences.... because the word is confirmed in my heart.. because I believe it to be true (which can be verified to a large enough degree to confirm this, and cannot be discounted to a large enough degree to deny this)...

But it's similar logic with atheism. God doesn't exist because scientists and a lot of others told me so... because I believe they are telling the truth.. because science is the truth and they know science... because this lines up with my experience of life... because I haven't, to my knowledge, been confronted by any deity...

(although, I don't fully believe that, but I know you do believe it)

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  25. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    What is being sent to hell other than being set on fire for eternity? At least that's what the Bible says.

Nothing about the Biblical description of hell signifies a loving God.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.