JCC God Exists.

Discussion in 'Community' started by Rogue_Ten, Jun 3, 2013.

?

God Exists.

yes 51 vote(s) 40.5%
no 40 vote(s) 31.7%
nnnnnNNNNOOOOOOOOO!!!! 22 vote(s) 17.5%
dunno 35 vote(s) 27.8%
no curr 5 vote(s) 4.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jabba-wocky Chosen One

star 8
    Well, his real innovation this time was providing fuel to make this thing self-sustaining. Most big "argument" threads flare out after a cycle or too. Here, though Rogue has managed to make a sort of atheist flagship thread that people sustain with news stories and links in-between the huge conflagrations between theists and atheists that keep happening here because it's not actually a clearly identified "home base" thread of the nature that would encourage opposing sides to just leave one another alone.
    TOSCHESTATION and Jabbadabbado like this.
  2. Rogue_Ten Chosen One

star 7
    *exorcises atheist demons from thread*
  3. Juliet316 Chosen One

star 7
    You mean this ghost @tom?

[IMG]
    Healer_Leona likes this.
  4. Jabba-wocky Chosen One

star 8
    On further consideration, the seeds of this are actually seen in Even's title to the Breaking Bad thread. The issue is that we have an ironically titled thread that people take both ironically and unironically, and then explode into displeasure about when their expectations aren't met in the actual content.
    Last edited by Jabba-wocky, Jul 1, 2013
  5. Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus

star 7
    It's frankly Shakespearean in the extravagant way it calls attention to its own theatricality while taking immense satisfaction in knowing that we'll be sucked in to the drama anyway. Sort of the JC version of the mock trial scene in the Merchant of Venice or how seventh graders are taught that "Friends, Romans, Countrymen, lend me your ears" is an example of persuasive speech.
    Last edited by Jabbadabbado, Jul 1, 2013
    Rogue_Ten and Emperor_Billy_Bob like this.
  6. Emperor_Billy_Bob Chosen One

star 7
    We are all children in the hands of a giant.
    Rogue_Ten likes this.
  7. tom Chosen One

star 6
    no, i meant charlie brown's ridiculous ghost costume into which he cut way too many holes. there's a picture of it right there in the post you quoted.
    harpua likes this.
  8. Juliet316 Chosen One

star 7
    Gotta admit though, Willow's the better looking ghost.:p
    Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  9. tom Chosen One

star 6
    better looking than a balding 7 year old covered in a sheet? i think not.
    SuperWatto likes this.
  10. Rogue_Ten Chosen One

star 7
    you are all too kind. just remember, everything i do... i do it for you
    Emperor_Billy_Bob likes this.
  11. LostOnHoth Chosen One

star 5
    Isn't all of America a "free speech" zone? :p According to the article American Atheists did in fact commence legal proceedings to have that Ten Commandments monument declared unconstitutional on the grounds that it violates the Establishment Clause of the First Amendment. The construction of the 'atheist' monument was the resolution of the dispute via mediation. The Supreme Court has ruled inconsistently on whether 'Ten Commandments' type monuments erected on government land violate the First Amendment so this was a compromise. All of this nonsense has nothing to do with atheism per se and everything to do with certain atheist groups "standing up for their rights" under the Constitution by maintaining what they consider to be "the wall of separation" between church and state. I guess the strategy is to legally challenge the constitutional validity of certain religious monuments with a view to having them removed, but where that looks likely to fail, then push for an 'atheist' monument so that it does not appear to the casual observer that the state is favouring religion over non-religion or one religion over another. I think the 'atheism' part is actually secondary to the main objective which appears to be all about upholding the Establishment Clause in the First Amendment.
    Last edited by LostOnHoth, Jul 1, 2013
    SuperWatto likes this.
  12. Champion of the Force Force Ghost

star 4

[IMG]
    Juliet316 likes this.
  13. Rogue_Ten Chosen One

star 7

yes, that is the reference i was making. thanks
  14. Ender Sai Chosen One

star 8
    Oh, because it's also a Bryan Adams song!
    Rogue_Ten likes this.
  15. EvilQ Jedi Master

star 1
    You're correct that people will believe what they want to believe, which is why religion, politics, snake oil and other forms of con-artistry have historically been so successful, but merely wanting to believe in something does not justify actually believing in it.
  16. Rogue_Ten Chosen One

star 7
    @EvilQ you cant tell me its not worth fighting for
  17. Sum-Wan Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    "God exists"

So does Santa Claus and Easter Bunny then...
    Last edited by Sum-Wan, Jul 1, 2013
  18. TOSCHESTATION Force Ghost

star 4
    Trollie-molla-rolla.....

....and NOT wanting to believe in something does not justify not believing in it.

Don't forget "Pink Unicorns" and The FSM, while you're at it. You're slacking. [face_shame_on_you]

Helping atheists with their 'arguments' is fun....
    Last edited by TOSCHESTATION, Jul 1, 2013
  19. LostOnHoth Chosen One

star 5
    Allah exists, the One True God. All the rest are phonies.
    Rogue_Ten likes this.
  20. TOSCHESTATION Force Ghost

star 4
    Didn't see that coming at all.

(end sarcasm)

Do atheists/skeptics not know the difference between the generic and specific?

Generic - for example, 'god'. Specific - for example, 'Allah'
    Last edited by TOSCHESTATION, Jul 1, 2013
  21. LostOnHoth Chosen One

star 5
    No, atheists are inferior beings incapable of grasping simple facts. Nevertheless, it is True that there is only One True God.
  22. Sum-Wan Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    Don't forget "Pink Unicorns" and The FSM, while you're at it. You're slacking. [face_shame_on_you]

Helping atheists with their 'arguments' is fun....[/quote]

I wasn't argumenting anything.... just stating the very reality of the existence of Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny..
    Feel free to believe in whatever you want cause I will keep on believing in what I know.
  23. ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio

star 6
    There is no evidence for one true god, but there is plenty for many fake ones.
    Last edited by ShaneP, Jul 1, 2013
    timmoishere likes this.
  24. Sum-Wan Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    Replace atheists for christians, muslims, jews, etc... and I will be in total agreement with you...
  25. Ender Sai Chosen One

star 8
    If the abode of the afterlife in the providence of God is for you alone, and not others of mankind, then wish for death if it is so!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.