main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph God is *Not* Dead 2: Electric Godaloo

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jabbadabbado, Mar 20, 2014.

1. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    moviefan do you speak and understand english

2. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    moviefan do you even

3. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    moviefan plz respond

4. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    That ignore list must be a mile long.

5. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    it would be theoretically possible to put every other user on ignore and add new users as they crop up. think of it, ender! screaming into the void. posting in its purest form. turning an entire message board into your own personal livejournal. the mad genius of it... breathtaking

6. Moviefan2k4

Moviefan2k4 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 29, 2009
    In answer to the questions so far...

1) I did not finish high school properly, but got my GED in 2000.
    2) Of course I leave my home, though not every day.
    3) I speak and understand English very well, thank you.
    4) There were many more than ten legal cases listed at the end of the film, from states all over the USA. I noticed Texas, Washington, California, and Illinois among them.
    5) As for the "anachronistic racism" charge, I assume you mean the girl's father throwing her out for accepting Christ in the film. News flash: that kind of thing happens in real life every day.

7. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Wow, ten. Truly a large scale assault. Emblematic of systemic and widespread persecution. Next thing you know, they'll control fewer than 100% of the seats in Congress, and then it's all over.

8. Moviefan2k4

Dec 29, 2009
    I said more than ten; pay attention next time.

9. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Oh no, more than ten? The end is upon us. IT ALL COMES TUMBLING DOWN TUMBLING DOWN TUMBLING DOOOOOOOWN.

10. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    [​IMG]

THERE ARE DOZENS OF THEM! DOZENS!

Penguinator and Ramza like this.
  11. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002

and im sure an asian guy is smart but beholden to his father everyday and black people are tokenized everyday, but that doesnt make it any less jarring to see those shallow stereotypes depicted unironically and simultaneously in a film that was made after, say, the 1970s

12. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002

well settle down there ramza, no need to freak out just yet. moviefan hasnt even provided these cases for us to scrutinize. you'd think if they were real and compelling he could find at least one of them. we're probably safe

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  13. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    No Rogue, it's the end. It's so the end that Gjallarhorn has sounded, ushering in the climactic struggle of god against god. Thor will step nine times and then fall from the poisons of the Midgard Se-

Wait, no, wrong apocalypse.

14. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    [​IMG]

Forget it Rogue, it's Fundie-Town.

DarthTunick likes this.
  15. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    Maybe next time they should make a movie about how atheists have been persecuted by Christians and see which side comes off as looking worse.

Here's a hint: It won't be the atheists.

16. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Only if you narrate it, Timmo.

17. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Sigh. Really, after all my years at the JCC, am I the only to have caught this? Not even Rogue Number Ten noticed? Sometimes you all make me feel like a complete failure.

Fixed.

18. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    rush hour 4 is going to be the greatest film ever made

i hope jackie chan's character converts to christianity in it

19. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Maik, he beats up bad guys, of course he's Christian already.

20. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    It certainly has been an education, watching how not partaking from the Tree of Knowledge has enriched the lives of more than a few folks here.

21. Moviefan2k4

Dec 29, 2009
    The cases were listed on the film's end credits, and scrolled by fairly quickly like the rest of the text. I didn't catch the details of them, but that's not the point. It wouldn't matter if it was just one case, or a thousand; the fact remains that Christians are treated horribly for their faith around the world. In the U.S., it mostly takes the form of heated debate, but there's folks in jail overseas right now, for no other act than simply possessing a page of the Bible.

There's a line in the film, where Wheaton asks Professor Radisson, "Why do you hate God?". This happens in front of the class, after Radisson's already discussed the matter privately in a prior scene. At first, Wheaton's question is brushed aside, but he persists. Radisson finally erupts, "Because He took everything from me! All I feel toward Him is hate." Wheaton then offers up a single question: "How can you hate someone who doesn't exist?"

22. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    Persecution complex.

PRENNTACULAR likes this.
  23. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    What? Wouldn't it?

Every group or person gets treated horribly on one single occasion. No one has a perfect life. But what's concerning is when one group is consistently, systematically discriminated against. That would seem to have a whole lot to do with frequency.

PRENNTACULAR likes this.
  24. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005

The fact remains that members of your faith are the majority. To use the language and rhetoric of the minority to create a persecution complex is horribly offensive. There is no grand scheme to keep Christians oppressed. The Man is not gettin' you down.

25. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002

i dont understand what that has to do with the rest of your post but its a good example of the film's ridiculous strawmanning, and one of the biggest laughs in the film for me, actually. its so absurdely nonsensical. the main atheist in the film is revealed as a struggling theist

atheists dont hate god. just as theists dont love god. well, not anymore than people love or hate draco malfoy from the harry potter books

Penguinator likes this.