main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph God is *Not* Dead 2: Electric Godaloo

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jabbadabbado, Mar 20, 2014.

1. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Sara Groves is just so sincere and creates such beautiful music. Sentiments that would sound cliched or false coming from anyone else actually feel beautiful and moving coming from her.

I would typically loathe that song for instance. But it's just so full of compassion and genuine hope.

Though I'm not recalling any of her explicitly anti-science stuff. Though maybe I don't want to.

2. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    How is Sara Groves the best in religious music? What about something like this?

Sarge and Rogue_Ten like this.
  3. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I think there's a bit of a division between Christian pop and what one might call Gospel. I mean, essentially, one is mostly the domain of white artists and the other is mostly the domain of black artists. You group them both under religious, I suppose, along with a lot of classical music and such. But I think ten was probably talking mostly about Christian pop. Surely Gospel doesn't need any defense at this late date.

That last one. Wow.

And then there's this kind of thing:

And this:

I mean, the point is that there is no reason for Christians to produce or consume bad art. There's plenty of genuinely good stuff out there if you're looking for art that speaks to and about faith.

Rogue_Ten likes this.
  4. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    Kendrick Lamar is my go to Christian music

5. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    To be fair you've not heard a bunch of Dutch POWs state how happy and glad they were for Fat Man and Little Boy. Understandable given their conditions in Singapore; unsettling regardless.

Also lol @ Wocky's music

6. The Krynoid Man

The Krynoid Man Jedi Master star 3

Dec 24, 2015
    One of my favourite pieces of music is Nunc dimittis by Geoffrey Burgon which was originally a christian hymn.

Sarge likes this.
  7. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    Jabba-wocky, Rogue1-and-a-half got it right. i wasn't specific enough in my parsing of the christian movement(s) in america and their associated musical genres. nobody accuses the National Baptist Convention of fascist aspirations. they're always talking about more white-saturated evangelical groups, like the pentecostals and the southern baptists and the megachurches. i was, of course, referring to the same groups, and this extends to the associated musical flavours

as for groves being anti-science: "fireflies and songs", while it does make a very beautiful case for the ineffable, is in no way subtle in its admonitions not to "look for the music in the music box" ;)

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  8. Luigi

Luigi Jedi Master star 4

Nov 10, 2006
    I listened to the first episode of God Awful Movies. Probably the funniest "look how bad this movie is can you believe it" podcast I've heard, even without the Jesus stuff. But I guess you need a niche to stand out in the genre.

Or maybe I just think it's funny because of the built in laugh track that the one guy has (I don't know how many guys actually participate, but I know one guy talked a lot and the rest of them laughed at him the whole time).

9. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    Evangelical/fundamentalist Christian memes are also inherently funny. It's low-hanging fruit, but that doesn't make it less comical. And these guys are genuinely hilarious. Agreed it's one of the best podcasts of its peculiar genre.

10. Luigi

Luigi Jedi Master star 4

Nov 10, 2006
    P.S. The iOS podcast app sucks. I paused it for thirty minutes and when I came back it didn't even remember that I had been listening to the cast at all. It wasn't even still in the search. Even "my podcasts" are always jacked up. Awful.

11. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    okay so i figured it out. they keep referencing "our review of fireproof" so i checked and they have reviewed several christian movies (including God's Not Dead and Fireproof) on their flagship podcast that they've been doing since 2013, The Scathing Atheist.

the full God's Not Dead review, in the format of an interview, is here

Rylo Ken likes this.
  12. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
  13. Luigi

Luigi Jedi Master star 4

Nov 10, 2006
    Ender Sai likes this.
  14. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002

yes but the one guy (eli) is pretty funny. i just skip to the film reviews

i really want to see Persecuted now. Apparently James Remar plays a Catholic "preacher"... named John Luther....

so... is he catholic or protestant or a london homicide inspector?

15. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    wait so im listening to that review of god's not dead that i posted a few posts back... they said that the comic relief preacher and his magical black man friend get the car to start by praying at the end of the movie... is that true? i dont remember that part and im like "no, no that couldnt... that would be too on the nose..."

but maybe they did?

also they've reminded me of my biggest regret associated with this movie... i got up and left to get alcohol early on and i guess during the time it took me to run to the circle k and back i missed the entire duck dynasty tie-in segment. which is tragic

16. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    Gnd2 drops at midnight tonight. Are you ****ing heathens ready to have your **** rocked?!

Mods plz change thread title to reflect that the sequel has dropped

17. Luigi

Luigi Jedi Master star 4

Nov 10, 2006
    This is going to put a dent in BVS for sure.

AmySolo and PRENNTACULAR like this.
  18. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    You're joking but I think the first one was kind of a success

19. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    Also, you seem to over-estimating the quality of Batman v Marbury.

20. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    Even if you just look at it from the perspective of posting economies, this thread to date has nearly a fourth the posts of the batman one. And a big chunk of that thread was speculation and anticipation, while this thread is entirely post release of the first film

So yes, I think we can expect gods not dead 2 to cut significantly into bvs' "mocking a bad film and the one or two idiots that unironically enjoyed it" posting totals

AmySolo likes this.
  21. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    So then.

Who will be this thread's Ender Sigh?

22. Luigi

Luigi Jedi Master star 4

Nov 10, 2006
    Yeah but also because of the Christ allegory and competing for the same audience never mind

23. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    i just watched the trailer again i'm so excited

AmySolo and Ender Sai like this.
  24. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    You forgot the subtitle. Batman v Marbury: Dawn of Judicial Review

25. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007