main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Thor: Love and Thunder

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jedi_Master_Conor, Aug 9, 2007.

1. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    Black actor playing white character/god=ok otherwise you are racist
    White actor playing black character/god=racist

Nice logic

2. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Majority white cast playing white gods= What you would expect
    Majority white cast playing black gods= Not what you would expect

Is this concept still that hard to grasp, this many years on? Then again, it never really was.

3. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    The problem people have with white casting of black characters, is because it is representative of a broader problem within the industry and society. Hypothetically, if we lived in a post-racial society, I would imagine, people wouldn't have a problem with white actors playing black characters, because it wouldn't carry the extra baggage of the current context.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  4. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003

If we lived in a world where they hadn't already established that Asgard in the films is a multi-race place, I guess this would be confusing. But they did establish that, so I have absolutely no idea why this would be surprising casting. I think it's great, I get that the original story is an all white Norse party but whatever, film Marvel isn't so what's the big deal?

5. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005

It's all make-believe.

6. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    "Cuz dammit, there just aren't enough giant, buxom beautiful blondes in hollywood films.

7. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    The vikings inserted themselves into many cultures, not just France and Great Britain. For me, it is not hard to see vikings from various backgrounds and worlds. Hogun and Heimdall are two firmly established viking-like aliens in the MCU (frankly, not enough Hogun or Warriors Three for me. I'd love a spin off movie. Also, Heimdall has consistently been one of the great characters in the MCU Asgard, so more Idris too please.)

I am looking forward to Ms. Thompson as Valkyrie. :)

I just noticed Jeff Goldblum's casting, what fun. My question is there a Grandmaster character in the Thor comics lately?

8. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    [​IMG]

"Here we go..."

darth-sinister likes this.
  9. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    They got plenty of characters to play, why Norse gods?

Then why did people criticize Gods of Egypt, Pan and Last Airbender for the "white washing"? Especially the later two are just fictional adaptations.

10. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    Gods of Egypt, Pan and Last Air Bender were criticised for having white people play none white roles when there is a distinct lack of black roles in Hollywood.

Making a "white" role black is less of an issue to most people due to the sheer proliferation of white roles out there.

How can you not understand this?*

*Rhetorical question, I have seen who posted.

11. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Because it's using double standard and hypocrisy. Pan and Last Air Bender's characters aren't even black.

12. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    Did you not see how I carefully used the words none white?

13. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    It doesn't matter, if you don't like making non white characters white, then it should be the same when white characters got turned black. Otherwise don't criticize the "white washing". Lack of black roles isn't a reason for racism and hypocrisy.

14. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    Why are any old type of white playing these roles? Why is it not only people of Skandinavian descent?

15. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007

I just hope they make it easier and say she's a Valkyrie other than Brunhilde. Just makes everything too complicated for the comics trying to look like the movies then.

Admittedly, am a bit disappointed won't be getting the Valkyrie I wanted to see in live action. But diversity is important to people nowadays so there have to be some sacrifices.

Ideally just have Brunhilde be a cameo and let Thompson's Valkyrie still be the female lead.

16. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003

There are Black Norse people you know. Idris Elba won't be the only one

you also do realise that Jesus wasn't white?

This is a fictional world. As in made up, not real. Thor became a woman for Odin's sake so as far as I'm concerned they could have a transgender, half black, half Chinese raised in Ireland woman play what should be a male role if they wanted.

It just doesn't matter in this context.

For Air bender it was a specifically "eastern" (don't know the correct term) theme and putting white Caucasians in there is offensive when you consider the initial material. Having Scarlet Johansen playing the main role in Ghost in the Shell is similar.

I get that it may seem contradictory but sometimes "sacrifices" need to be made for the greater overall good. In this case it will not matter to the overall thematic element they are trying to deliver unless the actor in place is crap. Ability is key in these situations.

17. Only-One Cannoli

Aug 20, 2003

Because these are entire cultures that have been repeatedly whitewashed throughout American film and are *never* accurately represented. It's the majority vs. minority part that I think you're not understanding.

Gods of Egypt - This is a movie entirely about Egypt, and Egypt is a very specific type of people. It's not European white men. When you cast European white men as just about every single role in the film, that's a problem. Some are acceptable, not all. The problem lies in that we don't see Egyptian culture ever represented in our culture without it being whitewashed. We don't have this problem with white cultures. Does that make sense?

Slowpokeking, I think you just don't understand the concept or racism, which is fine as long as you make an attempt to understand it. I don't know who you are in the real world or what kind of life you've had or even what country you live in, so whatever your experiences are to have this opinion, they're their own. Speaking as someone who is white in America, there is extreme discrimination in the casting of any ethnic roles in films. It's not just what you read in outraged headlines, it's in minor roles in everyday regular films, etc. Sometimes you need to just understand that you might not actually be able to directly relate to that kind of an experience, but it doesn't mean that it doesn't exist and you should attempt to have some kind of empathy towards it. Just try? With this movie, it's a high fantasy, there is no "they are supposed to be white Scandanavians". No, they are not. That's a rule you're making up in your head, that the Asgardians and their culture are supposed to be white. This isn't classic mythology, this is a fictional Marvel world in the hands of an artist that isn't you. Not to even mention that the actress they cast is really great, and her skill level for her profession matters a lot more than what her race is.
    I'm actually surprised no one has complained about a near 50 year old woman being cast as Hela yet.

18. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    I hadn't even thought about her age

It just wasn't important

19. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Black Norse? Norse people are white and their gods' image are based on themselves. I don't see a reason to have black Norse god if we take it to real accuracy.

Yeah, it's fictional, so were Pan, GitS and Last Airbender, they are all fictional fairy tales/animated series. Neither GitS nor Last Airbender mainly took in the place of real world, they got some "Asian" elements but they are not real Asian nations, just fictional worlds with even less connection with the real world than MCU, what's wrong to use white characters if you can accept Black Norse gods? What does the race of the actors matter in these popcorn blockbuster movies? If we go with accuracy again, do you know Aladdin was Chinese in the original story? Should we accuse Disney for that?

I don't really care about having black Norse in a MARVEL blockbuster, I just hate the racism and hypocrisy from the media. What "sacrifice"? Do you know it's 100% racism to put double standards on black and white people?

20. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    Missing the point totally

21. Only-One Cannoli

Aug 20, 2003
    Yes that's the point I was making.

22. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
  23. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    So were the Norse people, they are white, not black, why would their gods be black since the gods' image were based on the worshipers? Gods of Egypt is just a blockbuster movie, it's not some historical documentary. How is it a big deal to use some white people(Some are miscast of course)?

And how is Pan/Last Airbender wrong? They were both pure fictional world stories. What's wrong to use white actors to play 100% fictional characters?

Then it's racism if you treat two races of people with totally different standard. I don't even think superhero comic is as serious as a high fantasy, but so is The Last Airbender and Pan. They are just animated series and fairy tale mostly based on fictional worlds. Why were the media and some people so angry on the "whitewashing"? Serious. Double. Standard. here. Would it be the same if Amanda Waller or Black Panther was cast as white?

rac·ism
    ˈrāˌsizəm/
    noun
    noun: racism
    ththe belief that all members of each race possess characteristics or abilities specific to that race, especially so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races.

24. Only-One Cannoli

Aug 20, 2003

You should also check your facts on the "Aladdin was originally Chinese"....for one, he was never stated to be Chinese and there are contradictory elements of the original story to assume he was. It was only the setting that was confirmed. Second that story, like every folk and fairy tale, has adapted throughout history. If you actually read any of the stories from that original compilation I think you'd be able to tell what Disney based Aladdin on, because it wasn't the Aladdin story.

25. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    To use your own argument...

Thor: Ragnarok is just a blockbuster movie, it's not some historical documentary. How is it a big deal to use some non-white people?