main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Thor: Love and Thunder

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jedi_Master_Conor, Aug 9, 2007.

1. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003

[​IMG]

2. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    He lived in China and was portrayed as Chinese in many artworks

Sure, accuracy isn't a big deal here such as the portrayal of the relationships of Hercules and the ending of Little Mermaid. Then why is it a big deal of the actor races in some fictional fairy tale adaptations? Even in Superhero comic movies, can you change John Stewart, Amanda Waller or Cyborg into white without uproar?

Yes that's my point, it's not a big deal to change characters' race in blockbuster, then why did the media and people go against Last Airbender, Pan and Gods of Egypt for "whitewashing"?

3. Only-One Cannoli

Aug 20, 2003

How do you feel about Hades being gay in Disney's Hercules?

4. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    I don't care much about that, the relationship was terrible. Actually I was more mad at Hera's portrayal than Hades'.

5. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Wait, Hades was gay? I totally missed that, but I only saw Hercules once. And they made Greg Germann totally not-gay on Once Upon A Time... :(

6. Only-One Cannoli

Aug 20, 2003
    Not to totally derail the thread with this but yeah! It's been one of those highly rumored but will never be confirmed things, but it makes total sense if you rewatch it. I really wanted OUAT to keep that in as a char element but oh well.

Anyways Rosslcopter do your thing.

dp4m likes this.
  7. Rosslcopter

Rosslcopter Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    I agree with slowpokeking on this, this casting for Valkyrie is political correctness gone too far. America is one of the greatest countries in the world, but our quest for diversity in the workplace has derailed our march toward global freedom. We need to go back to our roots, to a time when our primary motivations for casting someone was their acting ability, not their appearance. Thor has always drawn from Shakespearean themes and language; Valkyrie should be played by a man.

This casting is an insult to the craft.

8. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    ^
    [face_laugh] It ain't over til the viking helmed opera lady sings.

Here's what I want to know, why haven't the Russians made a Perun movie (n)yet?

9. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    It went right over my head that Ruffalo is in this.

10. Random Comments

Random Comments Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 25, 2012
    Slowpokeking
    By your own earlier exasperation with changing the race of existing characters upthread, The Last Airbender film is bad. The established characters from the pre-existing cartoon were all of Asian (/maybe Inuit?) descent. Not that it matters to this discussion.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  11. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    The movies are adaptations, they don't have to follow the source material very tightly. By that standard, turning Norse gods into black is equally bad.

12. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    Don't complain to us, complain to white Jesus

13. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005

There was a bit of a run: Jafar and Scar are fairly camp too.

14. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    Those hyenas are totes rent boys

15. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    It's all about context.

White society and culture is not currently oppressed (and is well represented), thus we can cast historical (fictional) white people as we would in a post-racial world: any race can play them.

Other cultures are currently oppressed, and thus casting white actors in historical (fictional) roles of other races is indicative of an inequality within the system and only serves to perpetuate the inequality. When we get to a post-racial world there will not be a problem with casting white actors in historical roles of other races.

16. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    I think Eva Green would be a much better choice for Hel.

If white society is ok with it, why should others oppress the casting?

17. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Why do you guys do this in every single Marvel/DC thread? Why?

18. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Who's the more foolish? The fool, or the fool who argues with him on the internet?

20. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Oh, it's slowpoke. Definitely slowpoke.

Darth Punk , DarthIntegral and dp4m like this.
  21. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    But the muppets who think the can re-educate the ****'s lifetime of buckled thinking, over two pages of a Thor thread, come a close second.

22. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    If a movie is terrible, it's not usually because of the white washing of the cast. TLA was terrible because the actors were horrible in it. Unless it's going to be like Birth of a Nation...

23. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Some hints on the style of film and characters: http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/43206/urban-ruffalo-tease-thor-ragnarok-roles

According to reports, the Taika Waititi-directed film isn't the Shakespearian space opera of the first film and fantasy war movie of the second, rather it is essentially an outer space "Midnight Run"-style action-comedy. Speaking at the "Now You See Me "2" junket in New York this week, Ruffalo tells Entertainment Tonight that the film is certainly not what you might expect:

"It's an intergalactic buddy road movie with Banner and Thor. I think it will be smashing. You'll see a lot more Hulk... The Hulk gets Hulk-ier. The Hulk Hulks out. Hulk-ier and bigger."

Ruffalo also spoke about Cate Blanchett joining the cast as Hela, a character he dubs 'The Death Queen'.

"[She's a] mysterious and powerful new villain... She plays the worst of the worst. So evil. She is going to kill us. It's such a great part she gets to play."

Meanwhile, Karl Urban talked to IGN about joining the cast as Skurge The Executioner, an Asgardian known to sport a magic double-bladed battle axe.

"I read a fantastic script that was action-packed and full of great characters. When I heard who was involved - and the cast list dropped yesterday - and [saw] the opportunity to work with [director] Taika Waititi, who I think is one of the most brilliant directors coming through, I made the decision it was something that I wanted to be a part of.

The character is fantastic. He's got a great arc to him. Obviously I can't say too much about it, but I'm really thrilled to be a part of the Marvel universe and to be working on 'Thor: Ragnarok'."

Urban also confirmed that he's been reading up on comics in preparation for the role. The movie itself doesn't open until late next year.

24. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    -Cate Blanchett as Hela-AWESOME!! Finally, a female main villain in an MCU film (unless they do something dumb like have her turn out to be a pawn of the actual big bad, please no). And that concept art looked fantastic. Hopefully they don't waste her like they wasted Christopher Eccleston.

-Jeff Goldblum as The Grandmaster-Unusual choice, but more of The Goldblum is always good for me. And I presume that he'll be the "bridge" to Thanos and Marvel cosmic as a whole probably. Plus, given that Grandmaster has ties to The Collector in the comics, seeing him and BDT bicker/try to outsnark each other could be really fun.

-Tessa Thompson as Valkyrie-Called it, and someone at Marvel must have REALLY loved Creed.

-Karl Urban as Skurge the Executioner-Unexpected but cool choice as well. And given some of Urban's comics, I think that they'll probably give Skurge his arc from the classic comics. I wonder if Amora the Enchantress will also be popping up here as well, or if he'll be working for Hela instead?

Nice to see Hiddleston, Elba, and Hopkins confirmed to return, and hopefully Jamie Alexander's schedule will allow her to appear in the film as well.

25. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Goldblum to be Goldblumy

"He's a hedonist, a pleasure-seeker, an enjoyer of life and tastes and smells. I thought, 'I can do that, I'll bet!' I'm working on my part every day. I'm a sponge, researching. [Taika Waititi] is encouraging me to improvise and make it my own, and that's what I'm trying to do. I hope he doesn't throw me out on the first day!"