main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Thor: Love and Thunder

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jedi_Master_Conor, Aug 9, 2007.

1. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    While I do agree that Thor: The Dark World certainly isn't at the level of the first Thor flick, there's a bunch of gold throughout the movie. That final sequence is pretty great and it has Thor losing his hammer and then having to take the freakin' subway! It's more unfocused but it's got pizzazz.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    The assault on Asgard (with badass Heimdall moment and badass Freya moment), the portal jumping battle (and indecisive hammer flight path) as well as anything to do with Loki were real highlights, though- far better than anything in the first film. Freya's funeral was also emotional (between the visuals and score) and I found it balanced things better than the first film- particularly the humor (Darcy and her intern are still amazing), though not 100% (Selvig's pantless antics didn't work).

I really do think it comes down the underdeveloped Dark Elves and their waviness in motivation (sometimes the attack on Asgard is personal and sometimes it is not). The film doesn't quite come together because of it. Everything else was an improvement, iMO.

Darkslayer likes this.
  3. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I will say I get much more worked up all emotional like in the closing 20ish minutes of the original Thor than I do with anything in The Dark World. Basically everything from the Destroyer attack onward is just really hitting some dramatic heartfelt payoffs. Dark World doesn't really hit me that hard in the gut, aside from maybe Loki's soundless reaction to when he finds out his mom is dead. But Freya's death always kind of felt to me like "Eh, we don't know what to do with Rene Russo in these movies so let's bump her off". Compare that to when Thor starts thrashing the Rainbow Bridge at the end and, oh gods, he's never going to see Jane Foster ever, EVER again, that really I think is a fantastic moment.

Which, y'know, they kind of glossed over in Avengers and Dark World as to HOW they got the trans-dimensional stuff working again, there's the line about "dark magic" in Avengers and by Dark World everything is working fine again.

4. True Sith

True Sith Jedi Master star 4

May 10, 2015
    The action in TDW was definitely much improved, I'll say that much.

5. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    I don't even understand the point of the first Thor movie. Yes, he was sent to Earth to "learn a lesson" but I don't see how he really did. He just sort of jacked around for a couple of days and then magically everything was forgiven. They didn't seem to have much in the way of plot or character arcs.

6. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    Specifically he was meant to learn humility and selflessness. Because as Odin said "you are an arrogant, greedy, cruel boy." So he goes down to Earth without his powers, befriends Jane and co, gets beaten up a lot, fails to lift the hammer (which, along with Loki lying to him about Odin and his banishment, basically causes him to accept being human for the rest of his days). Then he's willing to confront The Destroyer, despite having no powers and no chance of winning, and offer up his own life in exchange for Loki sparing his friends and the people of that town.

And that is ultimately made him worthy of wielding the hammer again, selflessness and self-sacrifice for the good of others. Now I do think that it should have been more gradual (IE not taking place over what was essentially a long weekend), but the arc was there and it was clear.

Loki also has an arc, and the final conflict between the two is actually really emotional.

With TDW however, Thor doesn't really get an arc. In fact nobody really does except for Loki. And the plot is paper-thin and basically just there as a way to string together a bunch of action scenes. The villain is beyond boring and generic (and how dare they make Chris Eccleston boring), a lot of the humor fell flat for me, Jane and co were annoying, the Asgardian cast is again underused and underdeveloped, etc. It was just a big disappointment, especially after they said some pretty cool things about it in the marketing that made me excited.

True Sith and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  7. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    IIRC, the first film actually takes place over a longer period of time than it appears to- it just doesn't do a good job of making it seem like it's longer than a few days.

I do agree that Thor 2 doesn't have a good arc for Thor himself- but I think the interactions between the characters are stronger and more complex and help offset that.

As for Freya, at least they gave her something to do by protecting Jane and getting the better of Malekilth. It served the character far better than the first film where she was almost entirely cut out of the film.

Jedi Merkurian and Alpha-Red like this.
  8. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    The problem is that it was so freaking obvious that she was being set up as the sacrificial lamb. "Hmm, they're giving Freya more screentime, so that we'll maybe care if she dies. Oh she gets a scene with Loki, and Jane, and she's a big enough character that they could sell her death as impacting the other characters yet her being gone wouldn't affect the main plot much in the grand scheme of things. Yep, she's so totally dead." They couldn't have telegraphed that anymore if they tried.

I also think that they didn't handle the aftermath particularly well. I also disagree that the character interactions are stronger/more complex. I found the ones in the first film to be much more so myself. Even the Thor/Jane dynamic was better in the first movie. And Sif/The Warriors Three get even LESS to do in the sequel, which was inexcusable imo.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  9. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Agree. TDW could have been better for sure, but I still enjoyed it immensely.

10. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
  11. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    A new synopsis was released by Dsney:

"In Marvel Studios’ “Thor: Ragnarok,” Thor is imprisoned on the other side of the universe without his mighty hammer and finds himself in a race against time to get back to Asgard to stop Ragnarok — the destruction of his homeworld and the end of Asgardian civilization — at the hands of an all-powerful new threat, the ruthless Hela. But first he must survive a deadly gladiatorial contest that pits him against his former ally and fellow Avenger — the Incredible Hulk.”

Master_Lok likes this.
  12. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    No Surtur?

13. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Hot Diggity, I Like that a lot.

14. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Word is that the DS BD will include a follow-up to the Team Thor mockumentary about Thor and his roommate Daryl.

We also have confirmation on the writing credits for the film itself, with Agent Carter's Eric Pearson headlining based on a story by Craig Kyle and Christopher Yost (who worked on Logan), not director Taika Waititi, as was expected.

Master_Lok likes this.
  15. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    That Team Thor documentary grew on me and this will be a fun reason to eventually purchase Doctor Strange on blu (not for $39.99 Amazon :mad: - cripes Disney reign that price in).

16. SithSense

SithSense Force Ghost star 4

Sep 29, 2002

That's rather disappointing. I was hoping that Neill would be the new Dr. Octopus now that Spidey is in the MCU.
    I've heard he was originally in the running for Spider-Man 2 before Alfred Molina was cast. And while Molina really did well as the sympathetic "one bad day" Doc Ock, Neill could have really laid on the pure evil Sinister Six Ock.
    [​IMG]

17. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    I really wish they'd just stick to the non super new comics for a ragnarok plot :/ Otherwise just call it something else.

soitscometothis likes this.
  18. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    First Look At Thor, Hela, And Valkyrie In THOR: RAGNAROK Revealed On Entertainment Weekly Cover

[​IMG]

19. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Thor without Mjolnir? That just seems wrong.

The swords are not worthy.

20. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    Thor without long hair? That just seems wrong.

The hair gel is not worthy.

Master_Lok, BigAl6ft6 and Sarge like this.
  21. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

That's almost certainly a temporary measure...
    When fighting with/against Hulk on World War Hulk planet in an arena...

22. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998

What if the hair gel is on an elevator? Is the elevator worthy?

Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  23. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    I wonder if they'll go "mythologically accurate" with Hel/Hela, and have her be Loki's daughter. ..

24. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    it will not go past the first floor.

Sarge likes this.
  25. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    I can't wait for this - it's been my most anticipated Marvel film outside of Infinity War since I left the theater I saw TDW in. Costumes look great!