main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Thor: Love and Thunder

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jedi_Master_Conor, Aug 9, 2007.

1. Tatooine_native

Tatooine_native Jedi Master star 1

Sep 6, 2003
    Well, I suppose as long humans aren't sacrificing kittens or offering up virgins to the Asgardians, they may be god-like but not gods. Although I'm sure that was Loki's next step in his take-over-the-world scheme.

I have to wonder about Thor's Hammer. When he throws it, and it boomerangs back to him, what happens if he's distracted and doesn't catch it? Does it just clock him in the face? [face_beatup]

2. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Looks like I missed a huge awkward debate. Anyway, I'll say that yes, the films seem to be deliberately retreating from the potential theological implications of their characters so as not to spur a backlash among religious conservatives and maintain the film's broad appeal. They've gone out of their way to do the "really advanced technology" point in everything to date, and I suspect they'll keep that up.

SithLordDarthRichie likes this.
  3. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    No we are not having a religious debate. Please no.

4. Rosslcopter

Rosslcopter Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    You don't get to tell us what to do. Who do you think you are? Jesus?

5. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    When someone asks if your a god, you say YES!

6. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    *was wondering when somebody would catch on :p

7. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Nah I made that reference in the Noah thread, so I figured someone else should have the honor.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  8. Tatooine_native

Tatooine_native Jedi Master star 1

Sep 6, 2003
    There should be a deleted scene in TDW where someone explains to Thor about cars in London being on the different side of the road. He had quite the problem with cars in New Mexico, not seeing them and not understanding how streets work at first, and of course in New York they also drive on the right side of the road. I can actually imagine a scene where he steps onto a street in Greenwich, having looked to his left first, so a car approaches unseen from his right and Mjolnir is boomeranging unseen from his left ...

You know, in Avengers I thought Cap and Thor would connect over their lack of understanding of modern Earth lingo. I kinda that element, the fish out of water, which made for good humor in the first Thor.

9. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Given the makers of the movie didn't even bother reading an Underground map before they had Thor get on at Charing Cross I'd be surprised if they made any reference to Brits driving on the other side of the road.

Mar17swgirl and Bib Fartuna like this.
  10. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    I hope there's a deleted scene where Thor keeps getting hit by cars for 10 minutes like that scene from Meet Joe Black?

11. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    People still talk about Meet Joe Black? [face_plain]

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  12. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Many saw it to see the TPM teaser trailer, so they probably remember that adventure.

Not me, I saw Waterboy instead :).

13. Bib Fartuna

Bib Fartuna Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 4, 2012
  14. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Great score. A shame the score needed to be twelve hours long in order to fit the movie.

Sniper_Wolf and Bib Fartuna like this.
  15. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Odin's in that movie too!

16. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
  17. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    "Then Thor slaughters every last one of them wearing a wedding dress and fabulous jewels."

[face_laugh] That one needs to happen.

18. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

No, it doesn't. When it comes back, he summons it back to him. If he gets knocked out, it will sail on past or fall to the ground.

19. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    I KNOW, RIGHT?!?

20. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Aham
    [​IMG]

21. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    What are some other iconic semi-mainstream Thor villains?

22. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

Enchantress, Executioner (Skurge), Fin Fang Foom (I think?), and can go with Fire Giants / Surtur?

23. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Enchantress would be an excellent film villain. Good foil for Thor, Loki, or both. And, while typically only a Thor villain when he first appears and quickly becoming an ally of Thor, Beta Ray Bill could bring in some very fun movie elements, too. There's also Ares.

Also, on second viewing of Thor: The Dark World, I have this to say: I enjoyed it more on second viewing. I can't say that for any of the Iron Man movies, the first Thor, or the first Captain America. So, that's high praise from me. It feels like much more a part of the larger MCU than Iron Man 3 did. Selvig is probably the biggest driving force towards that.

I'll also say this. I like Malekith, and I don't think for a moment he was underdeveloped. He had a natural story, and to give it more development would have been to ruin the simplicity of his plot/plan/desires. All he wants was what he wanted before he was forced to retreat. And, thanks to events lining up for him, he's got a second chance at him. He has no personal animosity towards Thor. He has no personal animosity towards anyone still living. He just wants to do his thing, and he'll battle/kill/attack anyone who gets in his way. It's a very simple story, it's a very simple arc, and - quite honestly - that's all it needed to be.

I'm also growing fond of the way they treat Asgardians as just Aliens in the MCU. MUCH more advanced Aliens, but just Aliens. Tech we can adapt, learn from, develop. Will make it easier to bring about the other realms and move them smoothly into the MCU.

24. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    [​IMG]

It's only a matter of time. She's a necessary character that they can't avoid.

25. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    I wonder who will play her?