main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Thor: Love and Thunder

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jedi_Master_Conor, Aug 9, 2007.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    JMS has apparently finished a rewrite of the script. Great news as his Thor run in the comics has been great so far.

2. Spiderfan

Spiderfan Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 9, 2004
    *sigh* Spider-Man sorely misses JMS. I hope Thor is treating him well.

3. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Merlin_Ambrosius69 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 4, 2008
    Ditto that, but in fairness Branagh was trying to do something new with material that had been visited and re-visited a dozen or more times. The script was a muddled mess. Also, DeNiro was woefully miscast. If doubts linger over Branagh's ability to produce a masterpiece, see his Hamlet and his Henry V.

4. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    So far, the son of Odin has treated JMS well. Spidey, meanwhile, continues to not be cared about unless a story involves both Romita Jr and a new symbiote ;)

5. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    "Kenneth Branagh Finally Talks Thor

Kenneth BranaughMonths after being picked to direct Thor, Kenneth Branagh at last shed some light on his latest foray into big-budget moviemaking, his first since Mary Shelley's Frankenstein.

With rumors swirling over who will play the Asgardian, from Daniel Craig to Rome's Kevin McKidd, Branagh tried to quiet the chatter: "There's been lots of talk [about casting] -- I sound like a politician -- but we are too early at this stage. We're getting the story and the visual effects together and all of that is very exciting. Someone sensational is going to play the part but it is early days."

With Thor scheduled to open July 16, 2010, and the Avengers movie to follow a year later in 2011, Branagh will have to move quickly, as those "early days" are almost over. But for those who echo Robert Downey Jr.'s concerns over how they will blend Thor and Iron Man and the Hulk realistically into one movie, Branagh's vision for Thor should please: "It's a chance to tell a big story on a big scale. It's a human story right in the center of a big epic scenario."

Not a wrestler, please.

6. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    Gerard Butler please.

7. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    He could certainly pull off 300-esque dialogue. In fact, I'd pay to hear him order "AVENGERS ASSEMBLE!".

8. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Think wig, not bad hair dye, a la Colin Ferrell in "Alexander"

"Branagh Confirms Thor Rumours

21 December 2008 11:53 PM, PST | From wenn.com | See recent WENN news

British actor Kenneth Branagh has confirmed he is to direct new comic book movie Thor.

The star - more famous for his roles onstage - has completed negotiations with Marvel bosses to helm the film, due for release in 2010.

Branagh's last big-screen directorial outing was 2007's Sleuth, starring Sir Michael Caine and Jude Law.

And he can't wait to take the challenge of directing a Hollywood blockbuster.

He says, "We're getting the story and visual effects together and all of that is very exciting."

I still think he's a poor choice as director...

Thor follows the tale of a disabled medical student whose alter ego is the Norse god.

9. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    a reliable source reports how Thor will be introduced in THE AVENGERS movie,
    "The introduction of the character is essential to how Marvel will tie Thor into the Avengers that is set in contemporary Tony Stark/Hulk timeframe. It explains how the actual Thor film will be set in the ancient time of the Norse Gods and how they will subsequently bring the character into a modern time with Donald Blake discovering the magical Norse hammer Mjolnir and turning into Thor."

10. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Aug 4, 2008
    "(Release Date set for June 4th 2010)"
    "With Thor scheduled to open July 16, 2010...."

Well, which is it? :p

Hey, Zaz, what makes you think Branagh is a bad choice? He's only made one flop -- Frankenstein -- and that film suffered from a scattered script more than anything else. The direction in that movie is actually quite skillful. With JMS at the typewriter, we should have no fears for the quality of THOR's screenplay.

So what gives? :confused:

11. Jedi_Master_Conor

Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2005
  12. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    I couldn't say about the guy being considered for Thor--he looks right; but Harnett is an exceptionally dull choice for Loki.

13. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    I like Hartnett, but I realise I'm in the minority. Thor is the difficult role to cast, however. I can't think of anyone who could really pull it off.

14. Vincent-Kenobi

Vincent-Kenobi Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 4, 2008
    Skarsgard was fantastic in Generation Kill.

15. soitscometothis

Jul 11, 2003
    ^I heard the name, but I didn't connect him with Generation Kill. Your right, he was really good in that. This might work yet.

16. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Depp or even Bale for Loki.

17. Jedi_Master_Conor

Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2005
    Tom Hiddleston is Thor's Loki

After breaking the news that Star Trek and "Home and Away" star Chris Hemsworth has been cast in the title role of Marvel Studios' Thor, Deadline Hollywood Daily has now also learned that director Kenneth Branagh has cast his nemesis, Loki.

The part has gone to Tom Hiddleston, an award-winning British actor and Royal Academy Of Dramatic Arts (RADA) graduate. He played Winston Churchill's son in HBO's "The Gathering Storm" and has starred in "Ivanov" opposite Branagh on the London stage and also starred with him in the BBC miniseries "Wallander."

Thor is targeted for a May 20, 2011 release.

All we have left really is Odin and Lady Sif. Also do we think Hemsworth will also play Donald Blake if they bring that aspect of Thor into the movie?

18. soitscometothis

Jul 11, 2003
    Dark Horizons is reporting a rumour that Brian Blessed is to be Thor's father, Odin. I don't know about anybody else, but I love Brian Blessed and would be very happy to see him as the All-Father.

CineFOOLS has an interview up with the writers of the up-coming Thor feature here. Love the fact that they're fans of Walt Simonson's take on the character.

I have my fingers crossed that this film won't suck.

19. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    They're clearly not wasting their budget on the actors.

20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    So long as they're perfect for the character, it doesn't really matter. Hugh Jackman was a nobody before he was cast in X-Men, and now he is the character.

21. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 17, 2000
    Despite being way too tall for the role.:p

He's "Wolverine as handsome leading man". It's pretty much the inverse of the path that Burton took in casting Michael Keaton, who remains my favorite Bruce Wayne/Batman. Perhaps neither Keaton nor Jackman is the most accurate adaptation of the character on comic pages, but they are so far the most engaging versions.

22. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    Natalie Portman to Star in Thor Movie
    Marvel Studios announced today that Academy Award® nominated actress
    Natalie Portman has been cast to star as Jane Foster in the studio?s highly anticipated movie THOR. In the early THOR comics, JANE FOSTER was a nurse who became Thor's first love. The character will be updated for the feature adaptation. Portman will star opposite Chris Hemsworth who will play Thor and Tom Hiddleston who will play the villain Loki. Kenneth Branagh will direct the film.

Marvel Studios? Kevin Feige will produce THOR. Principal photography for the film is set for early 2010. The film will be released in the US on May 20, 2011 and distributed by Paramount Pictures.

Marvel Studios expands its film universe with a new type of superhero: THOR. This epic adventure spans the Marvel Universe; from present day Earth to the realm of Asgard. At the center of the story is The Mighty Thor, a powerful but arrogant warrior whose reckless actions reignite an ancient war. Thor is cast down to Earth and forced to live among humans as punishment. Once here, Thor learns what it takes to be a true hero when the most dangerous villain of his world sends the darkest forces of Asgard to invade Earth.

23. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Aug 4, 2008
    Casting is starting to shape up most intriguingly on this film. [face_thinking]

24. Spiderfan

Spiderfan Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 9, 2004
    Not sure how I feel about Portman. She has never impressed me especially when it comes to films with a more fantastic twist.

25. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Aug 4, 2008
    Portman is made of awesome. Her turns in Cold Mountain, Garden State, Closer, Hotel Chevalier and The Other Boleyn Girl prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that she is a serious professional with an amazing range. It's just a shame that she's so hideously ugly and everyone hates her. :p