main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena God Slayers (The Tennessee Titans fanclub)

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by The Great No One, Oct 27, 2008.

1. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    Yeah, he'll be fine for the rest of this year, because he has no place else to go. I doubt we hang on to him after then, as we can't afford both he and CJ from what I understand. And there is no way we're getting rid of CJ. ;) Besides, he'd get cocky after this year, and Jeff would just bench him. The Titans don't generally do "grand exits", but we do do exits.

2. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    Here's where we guesstimate who our next quarterback should or could be:

I honestly have no idea.

I know it should NOT be Kerry Collins. He's a good back up, but not our future.

3. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    Titans and Fisher Part Ways...

In an unexpected development in what already has been a turbulent offseason in Tennessee, the Titans and Jeff Fisher, the NFL's longest-tenured head coach, are preparing to part ways, SI.com learned Thursday afternoon.

According to an NFL source close to the situation in Tennessee, the move could be announced as early as Friday, although it's uncertain if Fisher's departure will be termed a firing, a resignation or a mutual parting of ways.

Though information about Fisher's situation was scarce Thursday, it was confirmed by a league source that he will not return to coach the team in 2011, contrary to what was previously expected. Fisher was said to be in the process of negotiating the terms of his departure with Titans owner Bud Adams.

According to a league source, only Adams, Fisher, Titans general manager Mike Reinfeldt and team general counsel Steve Underwood were aware of the finer details of Fisher's imminent departure early Thursday evening. Members of the Titans front office could not be reached for comment Thursday, but SI.com was in contact with a member of the Titans public relations staff, who could not confirm the news.

Fisher has been on the job with the Houston/Tennessee organization since being named interim head coach late in the 1994 season, and he was expected to return for a 17th season full season this year. But Fisher's future with the team was considered somewhat tenuous given that he was entering the final year of his contract, and Adams did not decide to retain him until Jan. 7, five days after Tennessee closed out a disappointing 6-10 season -- the Titans' worst since 2005.

In choosing to keep Fisher and release fifth-year starting quarterback Vince Young, Adams had seemingly settled the protracted stand-off that had existed between Fisher and Young since late November, when the two had a very heated argument in the Titans' post-game locker room following a home loss to Washington.

While it's not known what prompted the change regarding Fisher's status in Tennessee, league sources say Fisher was not happy to lose a pair of his longtime defensive coaches last week. Fisher fired defensive coordinator Chuck Cecil, one of his closest friends, and saw well-respected Titans defensive line coach Jim Washburn accept a similar position on Andy Reid's staff in Philadelphia. Given that he just one year of security to offer any potential coaching replacements, it was thought that Fisher's task of filling those roles would be difficult.

The Titans started promisingly in 2010, going 5-2 and fielding the league's second-highest scoring offense behind the Patriots through seven weeks of the regular season. But Tennessee lost eight of its final nine games, suffered through the Young-Fisher controversy, and endured the news that offensive coordinator Mike Heimerdinger was diagnosed with cancer.

The Titans missed the playoffs in each of Fisher's last two seasons, going 8-8 in 2009 after an 0-6 start. Tennessee's last playoff trip came in 2008, but the No. 1 seeded Titans wasted their 13-3 regular season when they lost at home to No. 6-seeded Baltimore in the AFC divisional round. Tennessee is the only team in the NFL to have a losing streak of at least six games in both of the past two seasons.

Fisher was the NFL's youngest head coach at 36 when he was promoted from Oilers defensive coordinator to interim head coach in mid-November 1994, replacing the fired Jack Pardee. He was named the franchise's full time head coach in early January 1995, and went 142-120 (.542) in his 16-plus regular seasons with the Oilers/Titans. But Fisher was just 5-6 in the playoffs, with one Super Bowl trip (1999), four division titles and six postseason berths over that span. Three of Fisher's five postseason wins came during Tennessee's 1999 Super Bowl run -- they lost that game to St. Louis, 23-16 -- and the Titans have not won a playoff game since winning at Baltimore in the first round of the 2003 po

4. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Quite interesting how that played out. Could be for the best, as the Titans look like a team that could get stuck in that "good enough to contend, but not good enough to win it all" mode, and they need to enter actual rebuilding mode. Hopefully for them, this won't lead to them keeping VY around.

5. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    Yeah, they're saying it because of Jim Washburn and Chuck Cecil, and let's face it, he was pretty much a lame duck next year.

Looks like we're rebuilding the whole thing.

6. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Odd that they would blow up the whole team like this after all the usual coaching hires have been made. At least when Tampa Bay did it two years ago they already knew they were promoting Raheem Mooris to head coach.

7. The Great No One

The Great No One Jedi Grand Master star 8

Jun 4, 2005
    yea... not particularly sure what's gonna happen. at least CJ's still pretty young. just have to hope this doesn't turn into a steven jackson situation where his best years are an utter waste.

they really didn't do him any favors with firing cecil though, not to mention washburn leaving. like the article said, having only a year to dangle in front of prospective hirees at those positions doesn't seem like much of a... shall we say enticing offer? i know i probably wouldn't want it in that kind of situation. assuming, of course, that there actually IS a season next year. everything i've read says that a work stoppage is pretty much completely guaranteed at this point.

8. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    I think if a stoppage comes, combined with the lack of leadership, we're going to lose good players, and a lot of ground. These could be the dark days for us, for sure. I haven't seen a press conference yet?

9. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    So, did we keep Vince Young, after all?

10. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    lol, maybe you should be so lucky?

11. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    I'm okay with Hasselback. He can teach Locker some things (like how to run a team) and then hobble on home. :p Here's to Matt having two or three more good seasons in him!

12. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    Hot damn, we might have a halfway (halfway, mind you) decent offense this year.

13. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    So, it looks like I will be the lone crazy woman carrying the Titan torch this season... [face_worried]

Hoping we can get this win over the Texans, and own the AFC South. Who would have ever even thought we'd be saying that before the season began...?

On another note... we can't seriously deal for Brandon Lloyd, oh no. But we can maybe wait for T.O. [face_plain] I love you, Munch. But I don't know if you're the guy to smack the locker room drama down.

14. The Great No One

The Great No One Jedi Grand Master star 8

Jun 4, 2005
    oh good god... really?:oops:

sorry i haven't said much of anything so far. haven't been able to really watch any games this year.

i do have to admit, the titans winning as much as they have has been a very pleasant surprise. i honestly think the texans may be cursed. i mean, this should really have been their year and instead you have a titans team that is playing far better than anyone expected, and the texans lose mario williams for a while. makes me feel kinda bad for them. but only if the titans win this week.