Amph GODZILLA (Here There Be Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Eeth-my-Koth, Jul 17, 2013.

1. Eeth-my-Koth Chosen One

star 9
    [IMG]

First peak at the new Godzilla, currently filming.
    More to come this week at Comic con.
    Mikaboshi, DarthTunick and ShaneP like this.
  2. Chewgumma Chosen One

star 7
    It already looks much better than this travesty.

[IMG]
  3. Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One

star 8
    ^You shut your mouth.
    Healer_Leona likes this.
  4. Ramza JC Head Admin and RPF Manager

Administrator
    star 6
    Godzilla '98 was great, because it got us six Toho films that were never originally supposed to happen as they desperately scrambled to save the character's face. Originally there were going to be no new G-films from '96 until '04.
  5. CloneUncleOwen Force Ghost

star 4
    [IMG]
  6. Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost

star 4
    Bryan Cranston's in this. I hope there's a scene where he tells the Kaiju to get out of his territory.
  7. DantheJedi Force Ghost

star 5
    If this means Godzilla toys at places other than Toys R Us and K-Mart, I'm all for it. I think Bandai, the company that makes the Godzilla toys you can usually find there, picked up the license for the new movie.
  8. Lord Vivec Chosen One

star 7
    "I am the one who roars!"
    Adam of Nuchtern likes this.
  9. ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio

star 6
    I like this. It reminds me of the classic Toho Godzilla....at least the head.
    Last edited by ShaneP, Jul 17, 2013
    CloneUncleOwen likes this.
  10. VadersLaMent Chosen One

star 9
    I just want something seemingly realistic, non-campy, cool, and not anything like '98 Godzilla. Is that so hard? Sweet looking pic.
  11. JangoMike Force Ghost

star 4
    As long as Puff Daddy doesn't molest a Zeppelin song for this soundtrack I will be happy...
    Darth_Invidious and eht13 like this.
  12. DarthLowBudget Force Ghost

star 5
    Looks good!

More here.

@VadersLaMent: I don't mind unrealistic or campy so much. It's a series about a giant fire breathing lizard that battles other giant creatures while Japan's military futilely bombards them with laser cannons and sends jetfighters in to serve as monster floss.
    Adam of Nuchtern likes this.
  13. Ramza JC Head Admin and RPF Manager

Administrator
    star 6
    Godzilla as anything other than campy borders on blasphemous at this point, original film's rather bleak appraisal of the nuclear weapons situation notwithstanding. It got goofy the second they introduced Anguirus.
  14. Jabba-wocky Chosen One

star 8
    This should be made in the vein of Godzilla, Mothra, & King Ghidorah: All Out Monsters Attack, which was definitely the best entry in this series.
  15. darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost

star 5
    AYYYYYYYYYYYYYYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
  16. DarthLowBudget Force Ghost

star 5

Certainly the best entry in the extremely variable Millennium series, but there are a couple of entries in the Heisei and Showa series that give it a run for its money.

Fun-fact: This movie started development as a IMAX3D short-film sequel to Godzilla vs. The Smog Monsters, and Yoshimitsu Banno, the director of that notorious (and unfairly maligned) film, who lost his career in the aftermath, is one of the Executive Producers on this new movie.
  17. Ramza JC Head Admin and RPF Manager

Administrator
    star 6
    Fixed that for you. Any film whose principal message is stated as "Adults have God; children have Minya" is automatically GOAT.

And frankly we need more badly cobbled together stock footage films where people learn that the only solution to bullies is hitting them back in creative ways.
    Last edited by Ramza, Jul 17, 2013
  18. DarthLowBudget Force Ghost

star 5

That film was also one of Del Toro's inspirations for Pan's Labyrinth.
    Ramza likes this.
  19. VadersLaMent Chosen One

star 9
    Vermithrax.

Reign Of Fire.

Large fire breathing creatures can be awesome. If ti turns out to be yet another campy outing I can ignore it and watch decades of already filmed rubber suited campiness.
  20. Eeth-my-Koth Chosen One

star 9
    Well those images look like Godzilla to me. That's a good thing.
    Adam of Nuchtern and DarthTunick like this.
  21. DarthTunick SfC Commish on an "All-Star" break

Game Host
    star 10
    Gojira is likely my favorite film of all time, and I've enjoyed a few other films in the Toho series... I've also come around to enjoyed the '98 Emmerich version for what it is (an incredibly silly generic monsterish movie). I'm incredibly excited & hopeful for this new film in 2014... I can't ******* wait.
  22. DarthLowBudget Force Ghost

star 5

Better have your camp-o-meter tuned up. Both those movie are crazy campy in there own ways. Camp is part and parcel of the genre. It's not a negative. Sometimes it's unintentional and awful, other times it's a tool that's deliberately employed for a certain emotional effect. It can have it's place in this movie.
    Adam of Nuchtern and Bacon164 like this.
  23. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    Looking forward to this- I enjoyed the old films, and the Godzilla '98 marketing campaign hyped me up beyond belief (while this new movie will no doubt be a far, far superior film, I doubt ti could top the marketing campaign of G98), so here's hoping!

Awesome Comic-Con poster:

[IMG]
  24. Ramza JC Head Admin and RPF Manager

Administrator
    star 6
    Yeah, honestly all they need now are some rearrangements of Akira Ifukube pieces and I'm sold.

I mean, if nothing else:
    CloneUncleOwen and DarthTunick like this.
  25. Darth Guy Chosen One

star 10
    While the 1998 Godzilla was undeniably awful, what was the problem with making the monster look more "lizard-like"? Why does he have to look like a man in a rubber suit, or, in-universe, a mutant t-rex that eats too much?
    Last edited by Darth Guy, Jul 17, 2013