main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph "There's More Than One King" - The MonsterVerse [Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire]

Discussion in 'Community' started by Eeth-my-Koth, Jul 17, 2013.

1. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    Would be telling a lie if I said it wasn't. Still, I don't think they've had the official premier yet. If they had and were still having an embargo there would be reason to worry. All they've had is screenings, so far.

It would truly suck if it did get panned though. Especially since everything about this film looks right. Every clip of Godzilla is badass. Actors are on point. Hell it looks like Cranston is going for an Oscar for being in a monster movie. I've can usually tell if a movie is going to suck even if it looks good. With Godzilla everything points to it being good. How heart breaking if it were to actually suck.

I want this film 80% or higher on RT

2. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    It'd be even worse if everyone said that it makes the '98 version look like a classic.

3. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    The review embargo suggests that all is right with the world.

I mean, why the outsize expectations in the first place? Godzilla movies, historically and by longstanding tradition, are pretty much the dumbest movies in the history of dumb. The reason new Godzilla needs to be so fat is that he's carrying the baggage of six decades of dumb on his big dumb shoulders. That's why the 1998 movie was the way it was. It tried to dump all the built up dumb of a half century of dumb. Unfortunately it created a whole new strain of dumb. The new Godzilla is evidently rejecting the 98 dumb by picking up the heavy burden of dumb from the rest of those 60 years of movies.

I will be mildly disappointed if Godzilla doesn't live up to his immense reputation for being so completely and colosally dumb.

Legolas Skywalker likes this.
  4. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
  5. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

No, no... don't be worried. Review embargoes until the official premiere or some predetermined date prior to release (usually a few days earlier than release) is a totally normal practice and shouldn't be taken as anything other than a planned marketing campaign.

Not having any press screenings at all is what people should be worried about, and that's definitely not happening.

6. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    And as far as a local reviewer is concerned, the movie looks fantastic. Dumb as it probably is. But it's the summer. Dumb is the name of the game. Oscar bait season starts late in the year anyway.

7. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Well, just as long as it's not incredibly campy.

8. Chained Prometheus

Chained Prometheus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2013
    I've been hearing lots of great stuff about the film. Apparently it harks back to the classic early Spielsberg films. Definitely the film I'm most excited about this year. [face_devil]

9. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    Don't get me wrong. I'm 100% in on Godzilla, lack of reviews be damned. I grew up on that stupid ****. King Kong vs. Godzilla was my first great movie love. A movie that is too good might ruin the experience, which only really works if you imagine the MST3K robots sitting on either side of you in the theater.

Darth_Invidious likes this.
  10. Eeth-my-Koth

May 25, 2001
    Who the **** is Spielsberg?

Darth_Invidious likes this.
  11. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    Spielsberg is the German company that makes all those smart board games for kids:

[​IMG]

12. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Man, I remember that old Kong Vs. Godzilla flick (or flicks? I can't remember if there was a sequel/rematch). Anyhow, that was probably one of my first experiences with old 'Zilla as well...but damn if that monkey suit for Kong looked just...wrong. I dunno, maybe some more care could've gone into that.

13. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    I'm totally looking forward to this film. I was at WonderCon and attend the Godzilla panel. The director of the film knows how important to get the film right after Roland Emmerich's 1998 Godzilla debacle, but admits everyone has their version and interpretation of the character.

14. The Extreme Moderate

The Extreme Moderate Jedi Grand Master star 1

Jun 30, 2005
    Do we know when the "official premiere" is scheduled?

15. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    Retelling the Godzilla origin story for a modern audience in a way that respects the guy in the rubber suit is a noble goal, but I don't know if it's a realistic one.

16. Eeth-my-Koth

May 25, 2001
    Official celeb premiere was last night I think.

17. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    The Hollywood premiere was yesterday.

[​IMG]

18. The Extreme Moderate

Jun 30, 2005
    So maybe those reviews will start to pop up, as DP4M stated. I'm looking forward to what they have to say....

19. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    If it comes out 16-May, I would expect reviews next Tues/Wed.

anguirus2003 likes this.
  20. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    If there isn't a group of girls singing the King Seesar song in this film I will be gutted.

JoshieHewls likes this.
  21. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Well, technology has changed where the rubber suit is now a motion capture, where there still is a man in a "suit," ala Andy Serkis' Gollum or

[​IMG]

Serkis' Caesar from Rise of the Planet of the Apes.

[​IMG]

It just depends on whether or not the director decides to use that technology.

22. Eeth-my-Koth

May 25, 2001
    I've been listening to these on loop all week to keep the hype machine going.

anguirus2003 likes this.
  23. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Apparently Godzilla is barely seen in this movie.

24. The Extreme Moderate

Jun 30, 2005
    I just had my wife (who had never seen a Godzilla movie before) watch all the movies from the original to Final Wars with me. I never realized how BAD some of the Showa movies were. I hadn't seen them since I was a kid, so I was just gobsmacked! That being said, some of the Heisei movies actually held up quite well, in my opinion. It will be interesting to see how this one stacks up!

25. Eeth-my-Koth

May 25, 2001
    Is your wife ready to set a fire in your flesh?