main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Godzilla!!! This is a thread about Godzilla.

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Andalite-Bandit, Jan 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Andalite-Bandit

Andalite-Bandit Jedi Padawan star 6

Apr 25, 2005
    Hello, this is the Godzilla thread!

When I was a kid, I was a major fan of Godzilla. In fact, I had almost all of the Godzilla films on VHS. I even had a few imported from Japan that had english subtitles instead of the absurd dubbing. Looking at the movies now, they are pretty cheesy and the costumes are silly, but I still they think they are entertaining and there is a certain nostalgia value for me.

The Godzilla films can really be split into a few "universes" and timelines. In the original few movies, Godzilla was a bad guy, terrorizing Japan.

Later though, there was a series of films in the 60's and 70's in which Godzilla was the hero and he fought a wide variety of evil monsters with the help of his nice monster friends like Mothra, Rodan, and Thing with Spikes on His Back.

Who can forget the menacing King Ghidorah or the diabolical Mecha Godzilla? Those would be my favorite Godzilla bad guys. He fought a lot of other critters, like Gigan, and a few silly ones like a giant crab and a smog monster.

In this series, Godzilla also had a little son who was named Minya. Minya says "Magwa" and breathes circles of smoky fire instead of a deadly blast of fire like his dad.

In 1985, there was Godzilla 1985, which was sort of remake of the original, and Godzilla was bad again.

In the early 90's there were some more films with Godzilla as a good guy, which seems to be separate from the series of the 60's and 70's though, as Godzilla faces several of the same villains like Mecha Godzilla and King Ghidorah, but they have different origins. There are also some new bad guys like Space Godzilla and a giant plant. At the conclusion of this series, Godzilla DIES. Yes, he dies. Or so we think.

There is a newer series, which I have not seen, in which I believe Godzilla is once again a good guy. There's also that American version that came out a few years ago. We are not speaking of this.

So talk about Godzilla in this thread.

2. Jesina_Dreis

Jesina_Dreis Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 8, 2004
    Cheesy and silly though they may be, those movies are classic and irreplaceable, IMO.

Haven't seen them in a while. *adds to ever-growing "movies to rent" list*

3. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    http://www.wavcentral.com/sounds/movies/godzilla/roar.mp3

I really need to get around to seeing Final Wars- I barely missed a chance to catch a screening in NY last year, and now it's on DVD.

I also wish Region 1 would get that awesome boxset of all the Godzilla movies that came out last year elsewhere.

4. Jedi_Master_Conor

Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2005
    my brother is a big fan of the godzilla movies. i like watching them every once in a while

5. droideka27

droideka27 Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2002
    I think Peter Jackson should do a godzilla movie now, after the cool job he did on King Kong.

6. Andalite-Bandit

Apr 25, 2005
    I think it might be possible for an American version of Godzilla to be done well, and if anybody could do it it would probably be Peter Jackson. The problem with the Godzilla from the 90's American version was that it just wasn't Godzilla! It was blue, it didn't look anything like Godzilla, and it DIDN'T BREATHE FIRE! Ack! Also, Godzilla getting killed by missiles? Yeah right.

7. droideka27

droideka27 Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2002
    But Matthew Broderick was neat, i liked him. Besides, i never saw any other godzilla movies before that one so it did not bother me in the slightest that he was a mutated iguana. I thought the egg part was scary and really cool.

8. Andalite-Bandit

Apr 25, 2005
    Little godzillas also are not supposed to be fercosious raptor creaturs, they are supposed to be friendly and bumbling turtle face looking creatures.

9. sith_rising

sith_rising Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 7, 2004
    When I was a kid, the Godzilla/Jet Jaguar versus Megalon/Gigan battle was so awesome. I wore that tape out, especially whenever Godzilla does his little victory dance LOL!

10. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    The American 98 Godzilla was pretty bad (though its good for syurround sound demos, and I have to give credit for probably one of the top three marketing campaigns ever....and Jean Reno was cool too, I'd like to see a movie about his character, actually)- it's another reason I want to see Final Wars-- for that brief scene where the real Godzilla kicks the American godzilla's ass.

We probably have to wait another 5 or 10 years before people consider remaking it again- that should be long enoguh for the stigma to wear off.

11. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    I never saw the recent Godzilla movie. I heard how bad it was by lots of folks. But many of these popcorn flicks that gets criticized, I end up liking. I tend to like just about anything in this genre.

12. Jedi_Commander_Faofa

Jedi_Commander_Faofa Jedi Master star 4

Mar 17, 2003
    I just love the Godzilla movies, have most of them on DVD. :D My favorite one has to be Godzilla vs. Destroyah, the one where the first Godzilla actually dies. That moment stuck out in my young mind for a long time after I saw the movie.

I have to tell you, the person in the Godzilla suit must have the best job in the world. ;)

13. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I like the way the '98 Godzilla looked, I like the way it moved, it was a great special effects monster. Otherwise this flick is barely watchable.

My fav was probably Godzilla on Monster Island, the one with the Ultra-Man-ish giant robot.

I do not recall whhich film this is in, but Pappa Godzilla was trying to show baby Godzilla how to breath fire. So pappa shoots and boils a pool of water. Baby G gives it a shot and all he musters up is a fire ring. So Pappa G demonstrates again, then roars at Baby G to give it another try. Just as Baby G is about to breath out, Pappa G steps on his tail and this large fire stream comes billowing out. Giant monster humor, lol.

14. SkottASkywalker

SkottASkywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 3, 2002
    Growing up before STAR WARS, I was really, really into Godzilla, King Kong, JAWS and dinosaurs and other large monsters/creatures. I had toys, books, posters and so on. (Although, that stuff wasn't nearly as abundant back then as it has become over the years. :mad: :( :p) I remember always checking the TV listings for Godzilla movies and the like and being excited when I came accross them. Most of that time, if not all of that time, Godzilla was my favorite. I've never really stopped being into all of those things, it's just that STAR WARS took over as my favorite. :cool:

My very favorite Godzilla movie is GODZILLA VS THE SMOG MONSTER. I remember even seeing it in a theater.

I like the way the '98 Godzilla looked, I like the way it moved, it was a great special effects monster.

I pretty much agree. :)

Otherwise this flick is barely watchable.

I'm not too crazy with a number of the characters. Godzilla seemed more real than a number of them. I wish the movie would have been taken much more seriously.

I do not recall whhich film this is in, but Pappa Godzilla was trying to show baby Godzilla how to breath fire. So pappa shoots and boils a pool of water. Baby G gives it a shot and all he musters up is a fire ring. So Pappa G demonstrates again, then roars at Baby G to give it another try. Just as Baby G is about to breath out, Pappa G steps on his tail and this large fire stream comes billowing out. Giant monster humor, lol.

It sounds like you're thinking of GODZILLA'S REVENGE. :)

15. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    godzilla actually died in the first movie from the oxygen destroyer.(i think thats what it's called)

16. Jedi_Commander_Faofa

Jedi_Commander_Faofa Jedi Master star 4

Mar 17, 2003
    True enough Jedi_Master_Conor, but this is sci-fi/fantasy... Of course they can bring him back. ;)

17. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    heh, That roar is a contrabass rubbed with a resin-coated leather glove and then reverberated.

I love the Godzilla movies. Seen most of them myself. A boxed set of all of them would kick ass.

My favorite monster? Anguirus. He was in the second movie as Godzilla's foe.

18. Andalite-Bandit

Apr 25, 2005
    Ah Angirus! I always forget that name for some reason. He helps Godzilla out in several battles in the "Godzilla is Good" films.

19. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    King Ghidora was my fave Godzilla foe.

[image=http://www.onlyinternet.net/awinterrowd/kaiju/gallery/ghidora.jpg]

20. Andalite-Bandit

Apr 25, 2005
    King Ghidorah is nearly impossible to defeat in the Godzilla NES game.

21. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    I don't care how silly the '98 version is. It's one of those films I can watch over and over again and not get tired of it.

22. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    my favorite one would have to be Godzilla 1985. where they brought back Raymond Burr as the Steve Martin character from the very 1st one

23. Beowulf

Beowulf Jedi Master star 5

May 28, 1999
    Ah, Godzilla, the man in the rubber suit. Glad I got Ethat started young on those flicks, just like I did.

24. Funk-E

Funk-E Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 11, 2003
    The American Godzilla is not Godzilla. It's a remake of The Beast From 20,000 Fathoms with Godzilla's name on it.

25. Darth_Omega

Darth_Omega Force Ghost star 6

May 19, 2002
    I've seen Godzilla, Mothra and King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack which was a highly entertaining movie with some great action scenes (I must say I'm impressed by the combination of suit/models/cgi in this movie), Godzilla as a bad guy, references to both the original & US version and as added bonus the main hcaracter was hot :cool: Also I love the Godzilla theme song. :p

Why?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.