main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Going Icon-less and changing sigs to support the Mods...

Discussion in 'Communications' started by kreleia, Feb 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 23, 2002
    Okay, this is a little pointless, i believe. I do agree with the mod's cause, but i mean, doesen't removing every user's icons mean it is pretty much useless for us icon makers? Who knows when this debate will be over? And until then, it makes it useless for us icon makers to spend any time to make icons for you guys.

2. Syntax

Syntax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 1, 2001
    In all seriousness, don't you think that this site getting an overhaul and potentially getting shut down is a little more important than whether or not you keep making icons? [face_plain]
    And from what I've been reading in the other Comms thread (about the Mod colors), it looks like this debate will end very soon. Apparently there's some sort of "deadline" (even if we don't know when it ends).

3. Ton_G

Ton_G Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2002
    Actually, an Icon Artist giving up his Icon would be quite a stand.

4. DarthXan318

DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 12, 2002
    I've been just lurking in Comms so far because I've got nothing to add to the discussion ... but I support the mods too, all the way.

5. Ghost_Jedi

Ghost_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 27, 2003
    Is it just me are is there a draft in here

6. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    I`ll join you guys,I think what they are doing is very wrong

7. Syntax

Aug 1, 2001
    Actually, an Icon Artist giving up his Icon would be quite a stand.

It already happened, a page or two ago in this thread.

8. DarthAttorney

DarthAttorney Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 8, 2000
    Removing your icon and using the "No Icon" icon infringes several copyrights which I have held for several months now.

Please provide your real name and home address so I can begin legal proceedings.

Your immediate and total cooperation in this matter is appreciated in advance.

9. womberty

womberty Jedi Master star 4

Jan 21, 2002
    Do you suppose that this user is iconless in support of the mods? :eek:

....nahhhhh. :p

10. droideka27

droideka27 Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2002
    My icon will live without me using it for a day or two :p (until this is... finalized)

11. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    Thank you to everyone for the show of support. It's very moving, and almost heart-breaking. [face_blush] *sniff*

12. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 23, 2002
    In all seriousness, don't you think that this site getting an overhaul and potentially getting shut down is a little more important than whether or not you keep making icons? And from what I've been reading in the other Comms thread (about the Mod colors), it looks like this debate will end very soon. Apparently there's some sort of "deadline" (even if we don't know when it ends).

You're missing something...WE'RE STILL HERE! If the site shuts down, the site shuts down. Untill then, i'll keep making icons.

This affects us all, but don't deflect if the shot has never been made...

13. DarthAttorney

DarthAttorney Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 8, 2000
    Well it's all quite irrelevant because PhillipWise hasnt actually logged into his account since 21st Feb at 6:08am board time.

So the reality is that the only person capable of changing anything relating to this situation hasn't seen or read any of this.

But then nihilisim is just so damn sexy..... ;)

14. Ton_G

Ton_G Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2002
    You know what? This nihilistic-apocalyptalism is fun!

He may have another account...

15. Syntax

Aug 1, 2001
    You're missing something...WE'RE STILL HERE! If the site shuts down, the site shuts down. Untill then, i'll keep making icons.

..so you keep making icons if that's what you like to do, and other people can protest by not using icons if that's what they'd like to do.
    I mean, just because some of us are choosing to forego icons as a means of protest doesn't mean it's anything against you, your contributions (in the form of icons) or your abilities. I just want to make sure you know that.

16. Bjork

Bjork Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 21, 2002
    I basically agree with what Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa said - while this is/could be a very large issue for the JC, I think that until administration starts threatening to shut down the boards that it's primarily an issue for "the colors". 8-} But since that day has yet to come: it's advantageous for us basic users to continue on posting normally.

Don't get me wrong, I completely agree with the mods on this one. And in no way do I mean to undermine their cause or the personal freedom of users to express their support - but the cliché: "Cross the bridge when you come to it." comes to mind. No one has been forced to resign, beaten, and/or fed to the sarlac - negotiations are still being performed and hopefully everything will be resolved. Otherwise why disrupt life on the JC anymore then it already has?

At any rate I'm positive that your protesting has been taken to heart and appreciated ? but the above is just my unwarranted two cents about dealing with the "consistency" and "peace" around here.

17. Jedi_Learner

Jedi_Learner Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 10, 2002
    I can survive without my icon for at least one week. Actually, to when I think about it more...I am using an icon! [face_shocked]

18. droideka27

droideka27 Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2002
    And until then, it makes it useless for us icon makers to spend any time to make icons for you guys.

Not that they aren't gorgeous or anythign (because so many truly are) but we already have like a billion :p

Course I could be biased, since I found my icon that I want to use for ever and ever back when we had less than a third of what we do now. :p

19. JediHobbit

JediHobbit Jedi Master star 5

Mar 2, 2002
  20. Casper_Knightshade

Casper_Knightshade Force Ghost star 6

Oct 18, 2000
    I heard about this, and had to see it for myself....

My humble opinion for what its worth....

My lawyer sense is tingling: that's not a good sign. It means something legal is or is about to happen to this entire website. I've mentioned this a dozen times in the past: we're all here living on borrowed time: when Lucas wants these fansites shut down, all this free advertising killed, all he has to do his snap his fingers.

But all it takes is a real, real jerk or three and suddenly Lucas has a serious decision to make, and perhaps pull the plug early on fansites. I think massive ones like TF.N. will be, and always have been, the primary targets.

So for various legal reasons TF.N finally has to protect its assets. That means total accountability up and down the line. That includes their 'employees'. Somehow, somewhere, that includes Moderators.

NOW I'M NOT SAYING IF THAT'S ALL TRUE OR NOT! I'm just guessing, because to me at this time the gathering of the Moderators' personal information sounds like legal material to me. Regardless, I do see TF.N's point. First and foremost a person is not ordained a Moderator. They were not born to Moderate. The 'job' of Moderating wasn't waiting for their arrival. Each individual has willingly volunteered their time for the privillage to Moderate the Boards; just as it is for me and everyone else not a Mod or Admin, it is a privilage to use the Boards: a privilage that can be taken away; a privilage that can be altered, modified, and whathaveya whenever ownership sees fit to do so.

But with that being said, I am very disturbed by this. The Moderators had, when they 'applied' for the 'job', an expectation of privacy. Solely the reason why they have Internet Handles (their Board Names). The Moderators are not paid employees; they are strictly volunteers, have been given a measure of power to use responsible within the bounds of the Terms of Service agreement. But even with these powers they are still in a bind when it comes to catching 'everything'. No matter how good the technology and the tools the Boards or the Website provides, people are going to be one football field ahead of them.

Is this the Moderators' fault? Hell, it's not even the Owner's fault. These folks can only do so much to curve real bad things like exclusive Ep.III content being leaked by link.

So now mere volunteers have to submit personal information beyond a name(by the sounds of it)?

I can't give you my real feeling answer to that, or the Mods would have to do their job, the job they volunteered to do with the expectation that it was nothing more than that. Again, they're not paid non-employees. Sometimes they're overworked, not paid non-employees. Some people may say 'well they get what they deserve'. I say to them if they're so brave why didn't they volunteer for the 'job'?

To me, this has too many implications suggesting a 'pass the buck' deal going down in the future. Although this website can't stop all the bad, illegal stuff, it is the higher ups that created the situation in the first place by creating the means to do it. The Moderators volunteered to Moderating and nothing more.

I support the Mods on this, the ones I like and dislike. And as my signature says if they won't sway away from this, then I suggest the Mods opposed to this to walk.

21. nashira

nashira Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2002
    P.S. An Icon HAS been created to support the Mods - if/when it gets uploaded, feel free to use it.

I believe she may be referring to my icon (drag and drop it), but GS already informed me that it won't be uploaded. So I'll go remove my own icon now.

22. JediMasterKitFisto

JediMasterKitFisto Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 27, 2002
    I've had this icon since the first day I joined.

23. Iron_Fist

Iron_Fist Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 30, 2003
    //supports the mods

I_F

24. Bravo

Bravo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 10, 2001
    Even after three years in this joint, I'm still discovering new threads here everyday. 8-}

I just read the first post and get the issue. It's like the HIPPA law that all Firefighters (like me) and all other medical personal in the United States are required to follow. Basiclly, the HIPPA law prevents any patient information from getting out; you can't even tell your own family about patient information, even if it comes up as a harmless dinner discussion.

Anyways, sorry for the extra info there. I know it's probably not the best time to ask this question, but what's the Old Folks Home?

Although I support the mods fully on this issue, my icon has more then just a picture value; it has personal value, as do all the icons I have chosen over the past two years. If you read my Fire Academy Journal and my internship journal (both here in the JC, at the Denver, Colorado thread), you can see why. ALthough the mods do have my support.

On one more thing, I can understand protest with the icons and stuff, but it would be better if this issue could be resolved through normal channels, rather then resorting to making the issue worse. Either way, I do hope the mods win this one because the JC has been a home away from home for the past, it should be four years now in September. I have made great friendships and without knowing about the Fan Force stuff and Denver, CO board, I would be so excited to get my driver's ed done so I can go to a RMFF meeting again, since I have only been to one and that was two years ago now.

25. Skateboard_Jedi

Skateboard_Jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 13, 2004
    bye Icon. Maybe I'll get ya back, maybe not.

give 'em hell, guys. we're with ya all 100%

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.