main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Oceania Going Icon-less to support the Mods...

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by milney, Feb 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. milney

milney Jedi Master star 5

Aug 21, 2003
    This has been taken from the comms thread and posted here now that it has affected us.

Many of you may know, many of you may not. Any mod can fill you in on the details if you wish to know, but essentially, the whole blacked-out Mod names are due to this (as stated by Raven):

An element of site ownership has told the entire Mod Squad that we must provide him with our real names and addresses and such by registering at another message board and then passing on our user names there to him through G-S. If we do not, we get demoted. All future moderators will have to provide this information. This may be expanded to cover City Representatives as well.

The Mod Squad and Old Folks Home have two major issues.
    1) The security of the information and the purpose behind the information gathering. As everyone is probably well aware, the Mod Squad is about as leaky as the Titanic. This has fostered worries about how secure this information would be, even though it?s being stored elsewhere. No system is perfect, and there is the worry that that information might come out and what might be done with that information. And we?ve yet to be told why we need to give it (though the guess that it is something along the lines of ?if LFL sues, it?s on the shoulders of the moderators?).
    2) The way that this has been handled by site ownership. More than anything else, I think that?s what?s at the heart of this. The feeling in the Mod Squad and Old Folks Home is that an element of the site ownership does not care about the message boards and the users and moderators here in any way at all. We as a group have not been provided with reasons why the information is needed; we feel that we?ve been threatened; we feel that we?ve been insulted; and finally we feel that we?ve been ignored.

If you would like more information, or just feel the need to read TFN drama, check out the following Communications thread:

Why are the mods black with a line through?

Feel free to agree or disagree with the situation.

Those of us in the Phoenix Fan Force and Rocky Mountain Fan Force who are supporting our Mods, RSAs, GSAs and city reps have decided to go Icon-less - or "naked" essentially.

If you'd like to join us, "strip down" your icon, and add the line in my sig to your sig.

kreleia

P.S. An Icon HAS been created to support the Mods - if/when it gets uploaded, feel free to use it

We have lost HawkNC as our RSA. If oceania wants to show their supporter, I propse we go icon-less and join with other Fan Forces.
    Also, the main icon-less thread can be found here.

Here is a list of the mods who have already been demoted:

DarthSapient
    sideshow212 (an RSA)
    stinrab
    Mr. Neck or Yarael Poof
    Protege-of-Thrawn
    Rogue1-and-a-half
    strawbary (another RSA)
    Nabooty_Call
    Jeff 42
    Obi-Dawn Kenobi
    VoidDancer
    HawkNC (our RSA)
    jp-30

Closed at the author's request.

2. Shara_82

Shara_82 Administrator Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 10, 2001
    That's only part of the list, milney - you're not counting the people who are staying around until a replacement is found for them, and will quit after that.

But thank you for your support, it's much appreciated. We're hoping that it doesn't affect Fanforce any more than it has already, and if it does...well, we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

3. HawkNC

HawkNC Former RSA: Oceania star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    Fifteen already? That was more than I thought.

It's a shame this had to happen, but I'm not about to bow to what I believe is an unreasonable demand. It was a pleasure serving you, folks.

4. BecJedi

BecJedi Jedi Master star 3

Jul 27, 2003
    It's a shame this had to happen, but I'm not about to bow to what I believe is an unreasonable demand. It was a pleasure serving you, folks.

Hell no, we would expect you too, Hawk. They have to be out of their mind to expect mods and reps to supply that kind of information. It's a shame you did have to resign, Hawk. :( You were such a cool RSA! :_| Damn those evil admin <insert word one would be banned for>! :mad:

5. HawkNC

Oct 23, 2001
    Hey, it's not like I'm going to ban you. :p

6. BecJedi

BecJedi Jedi Master star 3

Jul 27, 2003
    Lol...yeah, but I think I've pushed the bountries in the Wa forum already today, so I'm being good. ;) Don't make me sign anything on that, though... :p

7. MisFitToy

MisFitToy Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 5, 2003
    You're going Hawk? that stinks. what grounds can they demand these details from you?
    Is anyone negotiating? from what I can tell the main issue here is one of security, so if those details could be promised to be kept secure, would that make a difference?

8. Silmarillion

Silmarillion Manager Emerita/Ex RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 1999
    Asking for that kind of information on an unsecure board is a totally unreasonable request.

9. General Cargin

General Cargin Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 15, 1999
    I personally agree with the mods on this one. Without justification for the request, why should anyone comply, and especially without guarantees of information security?

10. HawkNC

Oct 23, 2001
    I disagreed with the demand for my personal information on three key aspects:

1) I had no assurances that the site was secure. If people can get into Mod Squad and post information from there, they can quite possibly get into the other site and get my address.

2) The way this situation was handled. If Philip Wise (2/3 majority owner of TheForce.Net) had discussed our concerns with us instead of relaying to us via one of the site admins that we were paranoid and "afraid of our own shadows" (actual terms used), then maybe a compromise could have been reached and this whole mess could have been avoided.

3) I don't see why I should have to give my address, or even my real name, to them in the first place. I was never given a valid reason for it, and the TOS on the site we were told to register our details at stated that our information was considered non-confidential and could be used for marketing purposes, sold, etc. No thanks.

Anyway, it's all one big bloody mess that isn't going to be sorted out anytime soon. It wasn't my choice to go, I made damn sure I went down in a blaze of drama. ;)

11. Ki-Bara-Mundi

Ki-Bara-Mundi Jedi Master star 6

Nov 27, 2000
    So THAT'S what all the hubbub's about? Thanks for breaking it down milney, I couldn't be stuffed reading through 1500+ posts on teh drama. ;)

Well in theory I support the opposition to the owner's demands, which is why I'll remove my icon after I finish up with this post. It's unreasonable, especially when they don't consider how much voluntary work mods put into the boards. But as for the FanForce half of things, I think it's pretty easy to get the details of members of staff because of the offline element. Regardless, the ownership can't justify their demands. If they try to enforce it, they're going to end up shooting themselves in the foot.

Sorry to see you go Hawk. You've been a great RSA and have helped out when I needed you to. I hope this doesn't stop you from posting in NSW. :)

12. messicat_kenobi

messicat_kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    Well, I'm now icon-less and sig-less. I loved my icon and my sig, but I love this place more, and it's my little show of support for those who need it now.

From what I've read, and what I believe, what the owners are doing is stupid. I still can't see any logical reason why the mods should give their personal details.

The internet isn't safe, we all know that. I can understand why you mods don't want to give your details, I know I wouldn't.

In one of these many threads I read that FanForce had a back up plan, I sure hope they do, as FanForce is my life. If these boards were to go, geez, I would have so much time on my hands 8-} I know I've only been here since May 02, and noone is asking for my address. I've posted at a few message boards in my time, but nothing has ever worked as well for me as this place, I don't know what it is, it's just special.

When I started reading that thread in milney's sig, I was thinking "what's the fuss about, it's just a message board" but then when I found out what the fuss was in fact about, I can tell you my thoughts changed. This place is more than a message board, it's a community. I wouldn't be the messicat I am today if I didn't have you guys :)

13. mauls-menace

mauls-menace Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 23, 2000
    Well, I'm now Iconless and Sigless just to show my support for ALL the MODS!! ;)

14. milney

milney Jedi Master star 5

Aug 21, 2003
    When I wrote the first post, those were all of the modrators/managers/administrators that had been demoted already.

I will keep you guys updated with this using this thread, if you would prefer not to read all of the posts in the main thread.

EDIT:

The following mods have been demoted:

Darth Sapient
    sideshow212
    stinrab
    Mr.Neck
    Protege-of-Thrawn
    Rogue1-and-a-half
    Jeff 42
    Obi-Dawn Kenobi
    VoidDancer
    HawkNC
    MaidenLumpe

The following mods have voluntarily resigned:

jp-30
    Krash
    Morgaine
    Katya_Jade
    MaidenLumpe

edit: Obey Wann, was it voluntarily?

15. Obey Wann

Obey Wann Former RMFF CR & SW Region RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 14, 2000
    add me to the list, too. :) Told PW what to do with my personal info, too. [face_devil]

16. Corellian_Outrider

Corellian_Outrider Former FanForce Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 9, 2002
    I got rid of my icon to support the Mods!

I still can't get over something like this is happening. The awkward speechlessness as the news hits you. Reminds me of the downfall of the Republic, or the morning I found out Rare was bought by Microsoft.

While those things I briefly mentioned had an impact on me (bout the whole Nintendo/Rare/Microsoft thing), there was nothing I could of done. Now this time around, I'm not gonna sit helplessly as things ruins a great Community. I'm gonna do what ever in my power I can to help out and if all things come to an end (Which I hope should not become of this place), atleast I know I didn't go down without a fight or trying to make a difference.

Here's to you Mods.

You have my full support

17. Protege-of-Thrawn

Protege-of-Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 14, 2001
    That's only part of the list, milney - you're not counting the people who are staying around until a replacement is found for them, and will quit after that.

Oh, so that was an option? Good to know now I suppose. I had no idea that this could be done, and would of prefered it for the welfare of my forum. Hell, I didn't even get so much as a Hamper.

Just think of all the homemade jams and relishes I could of been feasting on now... :(

18. Motee

Motee Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2003
    The JC is finally crumbling under it's own weight...very much like that inter-galactic Republic before the dark times, before the Empire... :D

19. Syrix_Kahl

Syrix_Kahl Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 25, 2001
    P-o-T, if ever you're in my neighbourhood, let me know, and I'll fix you up with a nice homemade condiment, and perhaps a nice cold meat platter Failing that, I'm sure a crownie will make a fine substitue, right?

Anyway, I often find myself marching to the beat of a different drum. I'm loosing the icon, but I'm taking a different approach on the sig. I mean, I still support the mods and all, but quite frankly, I'd rather be spreading unfounded rumours. Of course, those who are staying around still have a job to do, and I don't want to make it any harder for them than it already is. Should you wish to know what the blankety blanks say, click the link and discover what T. Roberts and P. Wise may or may not have in common.

NOTE: In case you haven't already worked it out, the link contains themes suitable only for adult audiences. If you're easily offended I urge you not to click the link. Think of the children. That goes for you too, Mr. Wise.

Edit: Oh Goodness! I just realised! We don't have a proper RSA! Not that you're not a propoer RSA, Shara, but you're probably a little busy right now, and everybody else is gone... so, are you it, or will I be directing any issues that crop up to Mr Wise? If the later is indeed the case, can I get a quick refresher on what issues I need to talk to my RSA about, because I'm sure I can come up with a few probalems that need addressing... :D

20. Detonating-Rabbit

Detonating-Rabbit Jedi Knight star 5

May 23, 2003
    I'm now icon-less as well...

Hey, this is a real **** up, but hopefully it'll sort itself out. Sorry to see you go guys... :(

And if I can help by p!ssing anyone off, then I will... :D

21. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    what grounds can they demand these details from you?

As you can see from my .sig and lack of icon, I'm already with our mods on this; as I understand it, though, they volunteer for the site owners (PhilipWise and JoshuaGriffin) who operate the site at personal expense. Technically, they can be treated as any other volunteer.

However, the situation was a diplomatic FUBAR.

The one thing I'm most surprised at - and digusted by - is what happened to Sape. He worked his arse off and put in so much time, and he's now without any honourifics (like; TITLE: Former Head Admin or his name in Red!). This isn't to diminish what happened to anyone else, just to say... [face_plain]

so, are you it, or will I be directing any issues that crop up to Mr Wise?

He's made <20 posts total. He don't care what your issue is.

ALL YOUR INFORMATION ARE BELONG TO WISE.

E_S

22. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    HawkNC, you know full well that "I'm quite sure I've never seen a more paranoid group of people in my entire life" was far nastier statement that suggesting you're afraid of shadows.

And stating outright that the information doesn't need to be secure???????????

[face_plain]

E_S

23. Stormtrooper_Shrink

Stormtrooper_Shrink Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2004
    I support you guys. Bye, icon.

24. Kehleyr

Kehleyr Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 22, 2001
    my icon gone too.

25. Shara_82

Shara_82 Administrator Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 10, 2001
    Not that you're not a propoer RSA, Shara, but you're probably a little busy right now, and everybody else is gone... so, are you it, or will I be directing any issues that crop up to Mr Wise? If the later is indeed the case, can I get a quick refresher on what issues I need to talk to my RSA about, because I'm sure I can come up with a few probalems that need addressing...

You know, it's worth quitting just to have you do that, Syrix. ;)

As it is, I'm the designated sucker who's staying behind.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.