Hawaii Going to Oahu from Canada June 26th

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by LordVader83, May 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LordVader83 Jedi Padawan

Looking forward to it, never been to Hawaii, I live in Calgary Alberta, Canada. What are some movie theaters in case Sith is still playing and I want to check it out while i'm there?

Thanks
  2. mac-nut Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Ask us again a week before you leave, and we can check the listings in the newspaper. EP3 will be showing all over the island. Probably the one closest to Waikiki beach will be at the Ward Complex, a block away from Ala Moana Park. It will depend on where you are staying.
  3. LordVader83 Jedi Padawan

Staying at the Miramar Waikiki. I'll try to remember to come back and post a week before as mentioned.

thanks!
  4. JediRacer Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    mac-nut (or anyone else in HI)..
    You probably get asked this question all the time.. but which is the best theater in Honolulu to see ROTS? I'm having my wedding in Waikiki next Friday.. a lot of our guests are coming from Japan, and since they won't get to see ROTS until July, they're excited to be able to see it in Hawaii when they come next week (although there are no Japanese subtitles).
    My sister lives in Honolulu, and she was telling me either Ward Center or Dole Cannery? I just want your opinion, so I know where to direct them. Hopefully I'll have time to catch the movie over there too!
  5. mac-nut Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    My hubby and I like Dole, as it has lotz of parking, and none of the Ala Moana shopping area blitz. Ward is the newest theater. Can't comment about Ward Theater, as I haven't been there yet, but the parking is limited, as you are competing with both Ward Center and Ward Warehouse, plus the Ward Theater complex stores and the amusement center there.

Due to scheduling conflicts, we have decided to go to first showing at Dole on Friday morning, while the students are supposed to be in school. :D :D :D
  6. JayTee_Erricck Force Ghost

star 2
    Jedi Racer,

I agree with what mac_nut says. Wanted to add that Dole Cannery Theatres are the ONLY THX Licensed theatres on the island of O'ahu, I do believe. Yup, even as popular / much visited as Ward Theatres are, Ward is NOT THX licensed. In fact, Dole may be the only theatres in the entire STATE that are THX but I could be wrong.

I saw it at Dole last night (12:01 a.m. show) because that's where the marathon lining-up stuff was taking place. I'm glad I saw it there with the people I saw it with. So very happy.

I don't want to discourage the idea of seeing it at Ward Theatres, though. It's a nice atmosphere there. I've been satisfied with the sound quality there, too. Me, I'm more concerned with the quality of the story.

That being said, I like Episode III (will probably post a review elsewhere on this board). It's not a perfect movie but there were A LOT of things I liked about it.

Depending on when your Japanese friends visit, I may be able to help play tour guide for them to the theatres (or, in Japanese, they say "Go an'nai shimasu"). I lived there in Japan for 3 years & learned the language a little bit. I know their pain, though. I was there when The Phantom Menace openned up in America & it killed me to have to wait an extra 1 1/2 months (I think it was) just to see it.

May the Force be with you & Congratulations on your wedding!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jay Tee Erricck

P.S. People may laugh but my favorite theatre to go to is Pearlridge (at the shopping center). It's not a GREAT theatre but it's a mall not too far from where I live (driving distance). For some strange reason, I just feel comfortable at that mall & that theatre. Just one of my quirks.
  7. JediRacer Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Thanks Jay-Tee and mac-nut.
    I'll probably take them to Dole.. if I can find the time. I'll be so busy as soon as I land! I wanted to have a Star Wars wedding in Hawaii, but my fiance wouldn't allow it. She is letting me play some SW music during our slideshow, and I'm assigning Star Wars character names to our guests tables at the reception (at the Halekulani!), instead of numbering them 1,2,3, etc. Does anyone on O'ahu have a full size functional R2-D2?
    Also thanks for the offer to be a tour guide! People in HI are always so hospitable. I don't know when we'll able to go see the movie. It'll probably be last minute when I realize I have a few hours to spare.

Your RSA,
    JediRacer
  8. mac-nut Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Eric has a full size operational R2D2, but that's on display at the Dole Theaters, and he usually leaves it there while SW is showing. It's his "thank you" for letting all the fans camp out.

We have a small one that talks/moves, but my husband won't let him out of his sight. Can't find them anymore.
  9. JarJarIsBoba Jedi Master

star 4
    I wholeheartedly recommend the Dole Cannery Signature Theatres/Regal Entertainment 16 over Ward 16.

The biggest screen in Ward is bigger than Dole's but it doesn't have the sound system to back it up. I watched LOTR:FOTR at Ward and thought the sound was too tinny. Then, I saw it at Dole and it was perfect. The surround separation at Dole is perfect and good mid-range and low end.

Now, I watch all my movies at Dole.

I recommend trying to get theatres 10 or 11 at Dole as they are the big theatres with the big screens.
  10. mac-nut Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    shucks, I can't find my ticket stub from yesterday. We were in either 9 or 10; it's the 3500 seat theater, and there were only about 50 people. ahhhhhh, 0900 on a school day. That THX and Dolby sound is absolutely outrageous. We don't go to the older consolidated theaters, as I am highly allergic to mold and my nose instantly starts to burn, then my eyes itch, and my asthma kicks in with wheezing/coughing; there's mold in one of the Kahala theaters, but it was the last day for a movie we had been waiting to see, so we stayed, and I was sick for 2 weeks. Haven't been to the new Ward, but my hubby refuses to check it out due to limited parking and too many people. He doesn't like crowds and mega long lines...... We only go to Dole now.
  11. mac-nut Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Went to see ROTS again this evening; didn't see R2D2 in the window at Dole, so maybe Eric took him home already...
  12. DarthHaskett Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I'm coming out for JediRacer's wedding also and would love to see ROTS in Hawaii. I'm thinking of sneaking out early from the wedding (shh, [face_shhh] don't tell JediRacer) to see it Friday night. I won't have a car. How is the public transportation from the Halekulani to the Dole?
  13. lavagrrrl Jedi Master

star 4
    What a fantastic place to get married! My husband and I will be going on our belated honeymoon in July. We're staying a few days on Oahu, then we're off to the Big Island.

We ran into a couple of people from Hawai'i at C3. I miss the islands and the people so much, can't wait to be back. :D
  14. mac-nut Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    There is a bus that goes from Fort DeRussy, which is 1 block away from the Halekulani, and it goes right past Dole Theater. It's the airport-Hickam AFB run. Now, Dole is not necessarily in the best part of town if you are catching the bus, so stay right there at the Dole complex to catch the bus, don't stray down the block. I'll check the bus schedule, and post it here for you.
  15. DarthHaskett Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Thanks Mac-Nut. I remember driving by last time I was in Hawaii. I'll check show times when I get there.
  16. DarthHaskett Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    By the way, I did get a chance to see ROTS at the Dole Cannery while in Hawaii. Great theatre, awesome sound. I went with my aunt, uncle, and their daughter who went to see the midnight show there. You guys have to come out to see it in digital.
  17. JediRacer Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I didn't get a chance to see ROTS while I was in Hawaii. My new Brother in Law really want to see it, but we never had any time to go. He now has to wait until July. Oh well.
    The wedding turned out really nice though. I love Hawaii. The Halekulani is a nice place for a wedding. It was really hot in my tux though.
  18. Gokuku Jedi Knight

star 2
    HI!!!!! I'm James Blaine and I'll be moving to hawaii on the 7th of this month and I was wondering if maybe you guys would maybe consider letting me become a member of your chapter.....I'm currently the Secretary of the Enterprise Alabama chapter we have called Enterprise Strikes Back.....it would be great to meet you guys and get to know you if at all possible.....can't wait to get to Hawaii and can't wait to here from you!!!
  19. mac-nut Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    We're very informal here. Just give a shout when you're settled.

For some unexplained reason, we all seem to be running in different directions, and most of us just visit on the board here. Most of the original folks have since transferred back to the mainland, so it's just a couple of us left. The 501st here always invite us to their events.
  20. obisangel1138 Jedi Knight

I have always wondered, do I actually have to join our fanforce to be a part of it? If someone can answer me, that would be awesome. :D

21. mac-nut Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    If you post here, you're a member. If you pizza with us, you're a member. We're so small we're all one biggee family..... :D
  22. obisangel1138 Jedi Knight

That's awesome! Thanks mac nut! :D I am a member.
  23. LordVader83 Jedi Padawan

Just got back, had the time of my life. May move there in a year as i liked the island so much. Didn't see Sith though.

Just curious, where is the Dole cinema? Ward looked busy as hell.
  24. mac-nut Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Dole is at the other end of Honolulu's Aloha Tower Market Place part of town, not towards Waikiki and Ward. It has excellent parking and more sedate, and has the only THX certified theaters in town as far as I know. It's busier at Ward cuz Dave and Buster's is right next door, so everyone goes to eat there and upstairs to play pinball games and such, before/after the movies there. and Ward Warehouse and Ward Center shopping malls are across the street.

Dole is nice, but it is best to drive there; we only go there. The seedier side of town is only a few blocks away.
  25. JayTee_Erricck Force Ghost

star 2
    Dole Theatres is also now in relative proximity to a K-Mart (around the corner) plus Home Depot & Costco which are on the other side of the Dole mall (or whatever that building with all the stores & offices is called!). The do-it-yourself improvement store called "City Mill" is also near Dole Theatres with a Zippy's restaurant right across the street. Even though Dole Theatres are off the beaten path, it's relatively easy to find..... Perhaps I'll do up a map for any other Star Wars fans that hope to make it there in the future..........even if ROTS may be long gone from the theatre by then........

I'm glad you enjoyed your stay!

May the [Good Side of the] Force be with you.

Jay Tee
    http://www.rebellegionhawaii.com
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.