main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Going Under The Knife

Discussion in 'Archive: Santa Cruz, CA' started by Master--Kenobi, Dec 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Master--Kenobi

Master--Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 8, 2003
    Ok, after much debating, I'm just putting this out there so everyone will know...

A while ago I was diagnosed with Basal Cell Carcinoma on the tip of my nose. (Figure the result was from me running around with basically a permanently sunburned nose as a little kid). While this has the highest rate of survival (99.5%), it is still terrifying to hear the "C" word. 16 weeks of the "medicated creams" didn't work, and last Thursday I went in for a proceedure to have the cancer removed. It wound up being much more extensive than previously thought, and went through about 7 hours of back and forth, with slices being taken off of my nose, run under a microscope, and back again until they had it all. (That's the good news, they HAVE IT ALL). However, this left me with what I refer to as the Tin Woodsman Effect..basically a hole in my nose about the size of a nickel and about 1/2 inch deep (down into cartidge.)

This means that I have now been referred to a plastic surgeon for reconstructive surgery. This should be taking place either tomorrow or Wed (which would be nice as I really would like to get a nose...or at least what I have left of one filled in, closed up, and ready to go).

Now, since my Dermatologist and Plastic Surgeon are HUGE SW and PotC fans, the joke has been, hmmm Ewan's nose or Depp's nose. They did decide that since my original nose was closer to Ewan's (almost exact according to the both of them), I will probably come out of this with more of a Kenobi-type of nose). As there was some work I would have liked to have done, this is sorta a sucky way to have to do it..but oh well.

So, would appreciate any and all Force-healing sent this way. While there will be some scars, (hey whats another one), I'm pretty much assured that they will fade in time. But, since you are all extended family to me anyways, just wanted everyone to know. Either Siri or I will post updates. Also, from now on, my Aussie Hat and sunscreen will be my "special" friends.

Hugs to you all,

Me

2. TionneHawk

TionneHawk Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    *huge hugs*
    You know I'll be sending happy Force-healing thoughts your way. I need my Master back in one piece (with a nose, preferably).
    And when you're all recovered you can come see Kaya. :)

3. DarkLordSid

DarkLordSid Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 3, 2004
    Glad the surgery went well, keep us posted on your recover and "redecoration".

And whatever nose you pick will be just fine, it will still be you behind it.

Waitaminute... that just sounded WRONG, but you know what I mean.

4. AboutaSith

AboutaSith Jedi Knight star 5

May 13, 2005
    Force Healing Powers coming your way from the IEFF!

5. Kai_Vandekar

Kai_Vandekar Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 9, 2005
    My goodness! *HUG* I am so glad they got all of the misbehaving cells and I've heard the same thing, that the sort of "C" word that you got is a very treatable one with a very optimistic outcome. Sounds like you'll be swanning around the world of Jedi and pirates for a long long time to come! Your poor nose sounds like it's taken a beating, though. I'm glad you've got a good surgeon and one with the awesome sensibility to "customize" your work for you. All my best wishes for a fast and happy recovery. You know I'll be thinking about you lots. Please let us know how you're doing.

MUCH love!

- Kai

6. Master--Kenobi

Dec 8, 2003
    Thanks to all of you, it really means a lot.

Got the final time...report in at 12:30 pm., proceedure is scheduled for 2:00 p.m. Right now they will be filling in the big nasty hole and then later will probably go back to start in on the sculpting...so may initially end up with more of a Depp nose now. LOL Oh Well, Pirates or Jedi..one way or the other it will be fixed.

But, seriously, thanks again to all of you. You all make this a bit easier.

HUGS and love back at all of you

Master K

7. Kai_Vandekar

Feb 9, 2005
    *HUGHUGHUG* Thinking of you. Lots.

*HUGHUGHUG*

- Kai

8. TionneHawk

Apr 28, 2002
    Almost 12:30...

HUGS!!! Happy thoughts happy thoughts happy thoughts!
    I can fly!!! Oh wait...wrong movie.

9. mrcottonsparrot

mrcottonsparrot Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 26, 2004
    Not to worry much -- BCC sounds worse than it actually is. I talked to Mary, who works in cancer registry/research -- the government doesn't even collect diagnosis or treatment data on BCC or the other kind (squamous cell ca) of the skin (except in a very limited set of exceptions, which doesn't involve the nose), because if they did, there would be so much time spent collecting BCC/SCC data that there wouldn't be time for the *real* (i.e. worse) cancers. It's extremely common. You can also expect to get more, since most people do, if they have one, so check those moles annually. It's not really dramatic -- California/Southwest US, Florida and Australia have the highest rates of it, obviously.

She says she's never heard of a medicated cream used to treat BCC or SCC though, and she checked with her onco MDs -- once it's diagnosed, it's just removed as soon as possible. There's no topical treatment for BCC other than freeze-burning or resecting it, and usually it's resected so they can get clear margins. She'd like to know what the name of the cream is, so she can run it by the onco's. Thanks.

MCP
    Caryn B.

10. Master--Kenobi

Dec 8, 2003
    Thanks, MCP. The cream began with an "A", and I will look to see if I have any of it still around. It's used quite a bit in our area. My Superintendent used it on his BCC as well with excellent results. But thanks for checking in with Mary and tell her hi.

Well, surgery update. I had my reconstructive surgery yesterday and was on the table about 5 hours. But, everthing is closed and sutured and "fixed." Was told that it will take about 6 months for the initial healing to take place, and about one year for it to be completely healed. After that, I will probably be going in for a bit more "finishing" work.

But at least the worse part is over and the nasty "C" is gone.

Thanks again and hugs and love to all of you.!!

Master K

11. TionneHawk

Apr 28, 2002
    Welcome back, Master!
    Do you feel more "Ewan-ish"?
    I know my plastic surgery healed up very quickly and now nobody even notices it. Bet you never noticed it either. :)

12. Master--Kenobi

Dec 8, 2003
    Well, not sure if I feel more Ewan-ish right now, but do feel like I've been through the wars. LOL
    And nope, didn't know you had plastic surgery and never noticed it..not even a clue WHERE you had it. So that gives me hope.

However, Siri was very "proud" of me...

I always tend to have a bit of a difficulty comming out from Anesthesia...so she told me (as did the nurses in Recovery) that I was babbling on about the lightsaber fight and LOUDLY cussing out Anakin (by name) in a heavy scottish brogue! OPPS [face_blush] [face_laugh] I guess Kenobi has some "unresolved issues" regarding that final fight. LOL

Lucky for me, I don't remember a thing!!!

13. Kai_Vandekar

Feb 9, 2005
    I am so glad to hear you're doing ok. Sorry that your poor nose will be healing over such a long period of time! Ouchie! :( But the important thing is what you said, that the surgery was a success and the reconstructive surgery (first phase) sounds like it's been a success as well. You had a lot of people sending you good vibes. Perhaps the fact a lot of us are fellow SW geeks contributed to the Anti-Anakin-Post-Anesthetic-Rant. *grin*

Very good to hear from you.

Much love!

- Kai

14. AboutaSith

AboutaSith Jedi Knight star 5

May 13, 2005
    Glad it all went well!

15. TionneHawk

Apr 28, 2002
    [face_laugh] Oh, how I wish someone had a tape recorder in that room while you were waking up! Maybe someday you'll give us a rendition of what it might have sounded like, had you remembered it.

After my surgery the first thing they did was show me what was removed (in a little jar) and I know the first thing I said was "there's something in my nose" (the oxygen tubes were pinching my nose). [face_blush]

16. Master--Kenobi

Dec 8, 2003
    Well, the nurse did ask me what a "Nancy Boy" was as in apparently one of the things I called Anakin was a "GD", Bleedn, "F", Nancy Boy!" (fill in the letters yourself[face_laugh] ) And according to Siri just now, that was the mildest of it. LOL

17. TionneHawk

Apr 28, 2002
    *falls out of chair* [face_laugh]

18. Master--Kenobi

Dec 8, 2003
    Update....NOSE IS ITCHING LIKE CRAZY!!!! NO WAY TO SCRATCH IT...

I NEED CHURROS!!!!!!
    [face_hypnotized]

19. DarkLordSid

DarkLordSid Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 3, 2004
    Ew.

Try using some ointment instead of churros to scratch your nose.

20. Master--Kenobi

Dec 8, 2003
    Ohhh much better, and you don't have to worry about the cinammon and sugar getting in the stitches. Thank you, Sid.

21. mrcottonsparrot

Jul 26, 2004
    Look, even the First Lady had it... please note that they also state that basal cell is the least worrisome kind. So there ya go.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16274191/

MCP
    The Parrot Caryn B.

22. Master--Kenobi

Dec 8, 2003
    Thanks..yeah, it definitely has the best survival rates...but then again there are the rare instances like Peter Boyle, that's was the prelimary cause of his death. :( Which remind one to do those skin checks.

23. mrcottonsparrot

Jul 26, 2004
    His was multiple myeloma, which is a bone marrow cancer, not skin, and not all that rare (per Mary). "Melanoma" is an aggressive skin cancer, but not what he had.

Caryn B.
    Avast ye Parrot

24. Master--Kenobi

Dec 8, 2003
    Thanks for the update. Our local news was reporting it as "an aggressive form of skin cancer." While it still hurts the heart that he is gone, it makes a bit more sense now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.