main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gold foil comics???

Discussion in 'Literature' started by skatalite, Nov 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skatalite

skatalite Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 8, 2005
    I have the chance to get all 5 of the Tales of the Jedi comics with gold foil Star Wars on them for a relatively cheap price, $25 shipped. They're in great condition and I already have #1 and #2 but without the gold foil.

Is this a good deal and what exactly does the gold foil mean? I'm just looking into having a complete set. Thanks.

2. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Is it real gold?

Because if not.... then it's just a cheap rip-off. Which is something that always bothered me... How come gold foil is so special? I can't stand those people with their playing cards who are like, "Ooooooo, I've got gold foil on my cards and you don't." I think gold foil should be banned... it causes people to have superiority complexes. And then other folks who don't have gold foil feel bad. And that's why the world is a depressing place.

So have fun reading your gold foil Tales, dude! :D

3. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Yeah. Even if it's definitely real gold, that strikes me as kind of retarded.

4. skatalite

Jun 8, 2005
    You two are cute.

But can anyone explain the gold foil? And I mean really explain it?

5. Fox4

Fox4 Jedi Youngling star 4

Aug 4, 2005
    It's just some shiny crap the put on the cover and claim that its "gold foil" and that its "rare".Trust me, it's just a scam to make you buy it.;)

6. skatalite

Jun 8, 2005
    I just figure $20 for the set isn't bad. But like I said, I've got one and two so I'll probably look for three, four and five...

Oh, and if anyone has Uprising of Freedon Nadd #2, let me know. Thanks.

7. Barriss_Coffee

Jun 29, 2003
    I know someone who has that comic, and doesn't realize it's value....

And believe me, I've been trying every trick in the book to con it off of him.

8. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    I can see doing gold foil on the TPBs, but on individual issues it seems a little more difficult. At anyrate, if one knows where to look for it, gold foil isn't that big a deal. It would raise the price of something a little when already applied before purchasing. But when you're paying more for something that's been treated with gold foil and others are paying less for the same thing, you're more outing yourself of money that could be used towards other items.

9. Fox4

Aug 4, 2005
    If you were trying every trick in the book you probably wouldve been siting down and reading it by now, would you not?:p

10. skatalite

Jun 8, 2005
    Thanks duders.

I was lucky enough to come by Tales of the Jedi #1, #2 and Uprising of Freedon Nadd #1 for $4. Also, today I just purchased eight first printings 70s and 80s SW comics for $6. I'm pretty excited.

11. Knight1192

Feb 5, 2000
    But can anyone explain the gold foil? And I mean really explain it?

If it's true gold foil, then it would be another name for gold leaf. Metal leafs are thin foils made from nearly pure metals made for asthetic uses, gold leaf being the most common. Silver and copper leafing are also used on occassion. Gold is a highly malleable metal which allows it to be flattened into sheets that are quite thin. It is then adhered to a surface as a gilding.

12. Fox4

Aug 4, 2005
    Don't know and frankly in my opinion don't really care, I mean, a comic is a comic.

13. skatalite

Jun 8, 2005
    Thanks Bill Nye.

I know it's not real gold and I know each comic isn't worth a butt load just because of it. What I was asking, and perhaps I should have been more clear (though others seemed to catch drift) was: does the gold foil mean they're rare. That's all.

PS - I was just kidding around with you about the whole Bill Nye thing. Humor, albeit stale, has a hard way of conveying itself via the Internerd. This is kind of my disclaimer.

14. Master_Keralys

Master_Keralys VIP star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 8, 2003
    They're not that rare, and they're certainly not rare enough to warrant the extra $$$ (or ###, I suppose) that you'd get them for...

- Keralys

15. Knight1192

Feb 5, 2000
    I know it's not real gold

Actually, there is a possibility that it could be real gold. Metal leafing is now available in what is essentially a sticker form. However, there wouldn't be enough gold to considerably raise the price.

And you're right about it being obvious. I realized when I hit post that you probably meant value wise rather than what is gold foil.

16. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Generally speaking, for SW comics, any gold foil editions usually just translate into the SW logo on the cover being foilized.

17. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000
    Funny...I happen to own two of these sets, the original Tales of the Jedi mini-series gold foil variants, purchased off QVC at various times (one I myself did early in 1994, the other was a gift from someone else). Also bought the gold- and platinum-foil versions of the original Dark Empire and Dark Empire II from there.

All can fetch a pretty penny if you look in the right places; I've had a mid-three-figure offer made only recently on my DE variants.

18. 000

000 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 18, 2005
    Don't you mean "retarted," Coop?

[face_whistling];):p

19. Knight1192

Feb 5, 2000
    Don't know if that's a joke meant as such or a joke meant for a spelling correction. If it's the former, I certainly don't get it, but then I've probably missed something. If the latter, they did get the spelling correct.

20. 000

000 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 18, 2005
    I know. I have a habit of spelling retarted wrong, and Coop's called me on it a couple of times. I was kidding.

21. Knight1192

Feb 5, 2000
    Ah, so it's something I've missed.

22. Darth_Kevin

Darth_Kevin Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 30, 2001
    Foil editions are usually limited numbered runs. They are not exactly rare, but somewhat hard to find and probably worth more than $5 per issue to a collector, so it was probably a decent deal.

23. Mandalore_X

Mandalore_X Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 22, 2005
    Your such a good friend.:rolleyes::D

24. Barriss_Coffee

Jun 29, 2003
    Do I know you? Eh? Well, I soon will. You give me your comic books. And I will give you... eh.... uh... an oragami thing that looks a little like Luke Skywalker if you tip it over in a certain direction?

25. Darth_Kevin

Darth_Kevin Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 30, 2001
    I think the DE foils are some of the most rare out of all the foils, since DE itself had a relatively low print run even in the regular edition.

Is there a platinum foil edition of DE II?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.