main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Golden Days of the Jedicouncil

Discussion in 'Communications' started by chitwood, Oct 13, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
    Sounds good, Josh. I look forward to seeing how this works. I would like to make one small suggestion. As a regular visiter to the TPM forum I have made note of something. Things get pretty nutty over there frequently. NathanDahlin does a pretty good job of keeping things together, but he's all alone over there (as in, the only moderator). I noticed resently, Commander Antilles has helped out some, that's been nice, but it sure would be cool if you'd assign NathanDahlin some sort of perminate assistance.

2. chitwood

chitwood TheForce.Net co-owner star 4 VIP

May 12, 1999
    That is precisely the point. Don't wait for it to happen. Don't sulk in the corner to wait and see. Don't run to the microphone and shout that it won't.

We all conciously need to get the JC back on track. Get on board, be part of the solution. If not, you are part of the problem, since apathy only encourages a downward spiral.

But this isn't a debate about that. A couple of clarifications: 1) we're only considering the slate cleaning, and 2) it was only mentioned that it would be for active members. I'm open to other thoughts, but the mods/staff will have the ultimate decision.

And ...andjusticeformaul is right, this is a great place and a great time, stick with the JC!

Josh

3. AdultBouncer

AdultBouncer Jedi Youngling

Oct 14, 2001
    Hey. I came over here via the OS forums to check out what they said over was true.

Please clarify the following:

4) As of a selected date, we're considering 'wiping everyone's slate clean' on the
    management team.

Any active admin you didn't like or had problems with in the past gets a second chance.

The Admins will not bring up the past again, so if you are a current user please give them the same chance.

If you think an admin has been hateful or disgruntled in the past, that will be forgiven but current actions will be used for effectiveness evaluation.

From some of the responses here some have gotten the impression that everyone's slate will be wiped clean MEANT banned ex-members as well.

Please clear this up. Over at the OS forums there is strong anti "JC" sediment over there... and thats just amongst the moderators/"forum jedi".

4. PreacherBoy

PreacherBoy Jedi Youngling star 5

Aug 3, 1998
    That is currently being discussed. Keep in mind that when things are finalized the general public will be informed about most of it, directly or indirectly.

5. ktwsolo

ktwsolo Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2001
    Being the young idealist I am, I'm not going to be grumpy and say "I'll believe it when I see it." Why not just be happy that they are trying to improve things?

6. Darth Dark Helmet

Darth Dark Helmet Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 27, 1999
    I'm sorry, I just can't help my wait and see attitude, call it cynicism, call it being part of the problem, call it whatever. Honestly, that's the way I feel right now. It comes from seeing the decline, seeing the events that have transpried.

If you do what you're saying, and you turn things around and make this place enjoyable the way it used to be, I will be one of the first to congratulate you. I will shout it from the rooftops of the internet.

But I can't get myself pumped for that until I see the actions behind your words.

7. scum&villainy

scum&villainy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 8, 1999
    What DDH said.

8. Connemara

Connemara Jedi Knight star 6

Nov 18, 2000
    Exactly, DDH. I have heard so many words in my life, so many promises of "things will be better tomorrow" that really, while I am not inclined to disbelieve Josh, I am also gonna wait before I get excited.

And I also agree with whoeever said "We cannot make a golden age" that is surely true. If it happens it is because of the changes made around here, then that is great. But I am not gonna expect it just because we are changing things.

I also support any movements for a wipe-the-slate clean action, I think it would be only fair. And like I said, if we end up getting trolls or whateever back, you can always ban them again! This should be a second chance for all wrong-doers of the past, they can either take it for leave it.

9. anya Skywalker

anya Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jun 14, 2000
    This does indeed sound great.
    I hope you find someone who is able to do what is proposed in the first and second points, though I think it won't be easy.

As for point 4, I hope that most cases (at least the ones who've shown interest in returning) are looked upon and reavaluated. It goes both ways, i think most are willing to give everyone else a new oportunity.

When wil we know the results on #5?

10. NathanDahlin

NathanDahlin Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2000
    anya, hopefully soon. We've been discussing them since yesterday.

Just some clarification, this "clean slate" idea would be applied to moderators, managers, and admins in order to unify us get us all working as a team again. Perm-banned users like barry, Luther, BEAL, etc. won't be affected, thankfully!

11. anya Skywalker

anya Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jun 14, 2000
    Yeah, somehow I have the impression that those you just mentioned wouldn't enjoy their second chance to do something positive... But some other members might..

Oh well, i'm sure that you (the mod squad) know who does and who doesn't. :)

12. Fathead

Fathead Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 12, 1999
    There is no such thing as a golden age, no such thing as golden days.

13. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    Maybe not. But try telling Bea Arthur there was no such thing as Golden Girls and you're likely to get slapped 8-}

14. Saint_of_Killers

Saint_of_Killers Jedi Youngling star 5

Feb 18, 2001
    "this "clean slate" idea would be applied to moderators, managers, and admins"

What a shock, only those in power get off the hook. [face_plain]

I agree the big trolls shouldn't be let back, but there are some who are not trolls and who were banned when emotions were running very high(both for the person who was banned and the one that banned said person).

15. Connemara

Nov 18, 2000
    I agree with Saint and Anya...I know that big trolls being let back would do nothing. But those who actually desire to come back for honest reasons shoudl be let back. If you are going to clean the slate, please, please do it fairly! And like I said, I see no reason why, if someone is allowed back and again commits a perm-bannable act, they should not be banned again!

16. Dark Lord of the Jedi

Dark Lord of the Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 5, 2000
    the only problem with that, SOK, is where do you draw the line between a little troll and a big troll?

Josh, you and the other admins/mods look like your doin a great job!

viva la jours ors!

17. Vertical

Vertical Former Head Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 6, 1999
    Remind me again who all these people who were and are still unjustly perm. banned are?

No one ever said we wouldn't re-visit people's cases.

Vertical

18. Connemara

Nov 18, 2000
    Um...

AT-60 for one (I know he's supposedly the worst villain to grace the JC, but in reality he did not even deserve the perm ban)

And I just heard that an aquaintance of mine, Kyle Katarn, was perm banned too, but I don't know why.

19. Humble extra

Humble extra Jedi Youngling star 5

Jun 12, 1999
    perhaps we should take this as a moment to consider more radical change, in addition to wiping the past.............say, ostracism?

20. Ternian

Ternian Jedi Youngling star 4

May 16, 2000
    Hmmm...why does this sound like the Grand Opening of Pandora's Box?

Can I also ask what the point of it is?

21. Mr. P

Mr. P FanFic Archive Editor, Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 1, 2000
    Kyle Katarn... he did something that is very bad. Veeeery bad.

--Mr. P

22. Saint_of_Killers

Feb 18, 2001
    Care to elaborate, P?
    All I know is he supposedly hacked into the Refuge, and not long after, mysteriously disappeared.

23. Vertical

Vertical Former Head Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 6, 1999
    He did not hack into The Refuge. He set up several members (including some moderators) for SPAM mail, getting their email addresses from their profiles. He has already admitted as much. His case has been reviewed several times, and will likely continue to be reviewed until such a time that the majority of mods feel comfortable letting him back.

As for AT60, I've spoken with him several times, and he and I have an agreement as to when he should come back. His is not a perm. ban., unless the other mods do not feel as generous about the situation as I do... but, since I was the one who banned him, and have been in touch with him, I'd say my say has a little more weight...

Anyone else?

Vertical

24. Saint_of_Killers

Feb 18, 2001
    That hardly seems worthy of a perm ban, Vert. Even though he used info in the profiles, it doesn't seem like that is JC business. To ban him for that seems a bit out of the mods's jurisdiction.
    But, meh, I don't even know Kyle so whatever.

25. PreacherBoy

PreacherBoy Jedi Youngling star 5

Aug 3, 1998
    KK did something of absolutely no respect for the forums. For that, he shouldn't and probably won't have access here, ever again.

Just for a history lesson, this was absolutely the last straw with Kyle. At the time, we were disciplining him EVERYDAY for posting sexual material with his partner in crime, Wormie2. For many weeks we told those lovebirds to basically "get a room" but it continued and continued. I think he was in the middle of serving a temp ban when Vertical discovered what he was up to with the spam. At that point there was no way we'd let him back.

He's even offered the feeling of "I'd apologize only if it would let me back, not caring about the seriousness I'd have to pull off." Sorry, but the day you don't respect this establishment by using it for your own personal gain is the day that we kick you out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.