main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Golden Days of the Jedicouncil

Discussion in 'Communications' started by chitwood, Oct 13, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vertical

Vertical Former Head Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 6, 1999
    We're currently discussing this situation in the Mod forum.

Vertical

2. Humble extra

Humble extra Jedi Youngling star 5

Jun 12, 1999
    DDH.......i think it would be best to avoid american fanforce, stick to the exotics

3. Lil Wookie

Lil Wookie Moderator Emeritus star 3 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 8, 1998
    Sleasy? Thats a little harsh, I think.

Its not like they are catering to a teen crowd. They opened their doors and invited everybody in (granted, later they kicked a few out...what did happen to Beal anyway?) It just so happens that most of the people who decided to come in are teens. I mean, they do have more time on their hands...

I think if the jc.n wants to make a more mature forum, that would be great for them. However, keep in mind the logistics involved. How are they going to keep anybody under 18 out? Should they keep anybody under 18 out or allow them in if theybehave themselves as Valiowk suggested? Who is going to make sure that people behave themselves? How are they going to confirm peoples' age? I mean, if they can do this great, but it may be a lot of work for them. If they don't want to put up with it I don't think we should get angry with them.

4. Katriel

Katriel Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 5, 2000
    The Admin forum is a protected forum. It would be easy to create another one for adults. Make some basic rules of posting....allow only those in who are of age and have proven themselves as decent posters...and off you go. I'd love to see an adult forum. I left the JC in search of adult forums mostly because I was tired of the fact we can't even have basic serious conversations without worrying that we're corrupting children.

5. Wattowatta

Wattowatta Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 5, 2000
    Institutionalizing that kind of criteria could undoubtedly lead to a HUGE case of admin favoritism among members.

6. Lord Bane

Lord Bane Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 26, 1999
    Making an "18+ Forum" would be a daunting task. Sure, the Admin Forum is restricted, but how do you restrict in the Mature Forum: people can lie about their age when they register. I hear it's even been done (!). The best way to keep things mature is to have a very strict banning law in there. Make it open admittance, but if you cross the line - BAM! - you're out for a month or something. Ban that poster from posting in that forum.

Speaking of which, that would be an ideal thing to do to JCC trolls who don't use an alias. Let them post elsewhere, but they cannot go to their battleground of choice. Hm.

7. Humble extra

Jun 12, 1999
    can you actually ban people from specific forums? if so then a more mature forum could work, potentially.........what you could do is perhaps make a general catchall entry level of say one year or maybe 6 months membership.....all others at moderators discretion

8. Lord Bane

May 26, 1999
    6 months? I'd say a year at the least. That's not that harsh either. The newbies can simply try and stay on their best behavior if they want admittance before their time comes.

9. AJA

AJA Jedi Master star 4

Oct 13, 1998
    The suggestion I made previously was just to take the existing JCC and replace it with two Community forums- one for those 18-and-under and one for those over 18. If one of the kids wanders over and starts causing trouble, the rebuke of the older members should be enough to send them back where they belong. If not, then it would be time for the Admins to handle them. I think it would work as a self-enforcing separation more than some people might suspect. At the very least, the 14 year olds with their Pokemon threads would likely stay in their place, and that alone would be worth it.

10. Lord Bane

May 26, 1999
    That would be fine. Why not just delete the existing JCC and start over with the 2? It would make things easy, showing the new order quickly.

11. Vertical

Apr 6, 1999
    As I said before, a very real, very concrete solution to this is being discussed right now.

Vertical

12. AlienAcidMKII

AlienAcidMKII Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 28, 2001
    How about we pour oil on everything... light a match and restart the board system :D

wipe it out.... all of it ;)

Or just wait till the admins/managers/moderators finish there solution and give it a try.

13. Lil Wookie

Jul 8, 1998
    Well, Vertical, you just go do what ever it is you do and discuss whatever it is you discuss behind those closed doors and the rest of us will just do a lot of speculating.

And maybe now you know how George Lucas feels! Nyah nyah!

Oh, wait, did that last part disqualify me from the mature forum? D'oh!

14. Lord Bane

May 26, 1999
    Hah, if people had to only talk about Star Wars, I think some'd go mad. Community is a mainstay for many. And therein lies a problem. So many rely on having a non-Star Wars board that the present boards are neglected. Since, say, Fall 2000, every main Star Wars discussion board has seen a dramatic drop in posting. Community hasn't.

15. Jeff 42

Jeff 42 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 14, 1998
    Splitting the JCC into over-18 and under-18 forums would not accomplish anything. There would be no way to stop kids from going into the over-18 forum, and even if there were it would just create divisiveness and make teenagers feel left out. I was 15 when I joined the JC, and I never acted immature like so many members (some of them adults) have. There are lots of teens who don't go for all that teenybopper crap. I agree that there is a problem, but creating age-based forums is not the answer.

16. ktwsolo

ktwsolo Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2001
    Everything sounds good, but like people have pointed out, the logistics of an age-based forum would be quite hard.

I'm interested in the idea of a forum for mature people. However, my idea would require a lot of work from mods:

As default, you are not allowed to post in the mature forum. However, after a predetermined amount of time, a mod will look through your history to see if you are mature and sensible enough to gain access. If so, you are allowed to enter and post in the mature forum. If not, then you remain restricted from it. Thoughts?

17. Darth_Asabrush

Darth_Asabrush Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 21, 2000
    Vert, how close are you guys to coming to some kind of "solution"? Until you give us a little more info, we're gonna talk about this because we care about it!

I agree with what LB & Humble Extra have said. I won't repeat myself, those who know me know where I stand on this. They also know that they can rely on me to support the drive for greater intelligent debate/conversation and acting upon new ideas to push the JC forward. It is a very positive thing that people like us here are debating this. It shows we care about the JC and that we are concerned about certain issues effecting it.

18. AJA

AJA Jedi Master star 4

Oct 13, 1998
    Jeff42- the problem is that it's the older members who feel "left out" under the current situation- so much so that most of them don't bother to post anymore. So you can have old and young, with the young people perhaps feeling like they're being "discriminated against", or you can have young people dominating the boards, and nowhere for the older fans to go. You have to be 16 to drive, 18 to vote, and 21 to drink, and this would be somehwat similar, although obviously not as strictly enforced. Thus I see no problem with it.

My argument is that unless something is done, noone over 18 is going to post here, and I think if you look at the ages of current posters, and some of the recent topics posted, it backs that up.

19. Vertical

Apr 6, 1999
    The solution is in it's discussion phase. It seems everyone is in agreement in terms of whether or not to implement it, we just now have to work out the logistics of actually implementing the solution.

I'm thinking perhaps another week. But don't hold me to that. We're sometimes a slow bunch.

Vertical

20. Darth_Asabrush

Darth_Asabrush Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 21, 2000
    Cheers Vert, that helps alot. Sometimes it helps by giving just a snippet of information as well as "We are working on it" or "trust us" etc etc.... (not intended to be a critisism just an observation from previous experience).

21. Lord Bane

May 26, 1999
    As for what AJA said, I agree. I am not in my teens and as my 2+ years here have gone by, I have felt the conversation go towards a younger audience.

This is also backed up by a shift in Admin attitude and policing, harsh oldbies. We need a crotchety old man to just hit newbie posters over the head when they post stupid, idiotic stuff...

As for the "We're working on it" school of comments and baits, I'd rather be given the idea, the concept, or silence until it's well into the prototype phase.

22. Lil Wookie

Jul 8, 1998
    We need a crotchety old man to just hit newbie posters over the head when they post stupid, idiotic stuff...

Yes, but do you really think we will be able to get Jasman to admin again?

23. Lord Bane

May 26, 1999
    Is the question whether he would come back under his own power if asked or if he would even be asked at all? Hm...

24. Lil Wookie

Jul 8, 1998
    Actually, it was a joke. We used to give Jasman a hard time because he was the oldest guy who posted here by quite a bit...

25. Humble extra

Jun 12, 1999
    as said before the way i concieve of membership for the AO/mature/naughty forum is that by default all members registered for a certain period are allowed entrence, whether that time be 6 months,a year, 2 or what.......the point is that someone who has consistently been a member here for a certain period of time should be assumed to have some maturity, that way the forum will not be the home of a few select admin chosen, which i fear would create alot of negativity among those who are not considered worthy.........

of course membership of said forum could be revoked if the member demonstrates a clear lack of maturity, to either the mods or the assembled members, alternately membership could be granted to those who would not otherwise be allowed entry due to registration date

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.