main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Golden Days of the Jedicouncil

Discussion in 'Communications' started by chitwood, Oct 13, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hathor

Hathor Moderator Emeritus star 3 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 28, 1998
    AHHH! jasman!!!

faints

2. AJA

AJA Jedi Master star 4

Oct 13, 1998
    Hathor- I think the suggestion I made would work well in terms of what you're talking about, since younger posters would be primarily restrained by the rebuke of those posting in the older forum. Knowing that you're in the "grown up" area would tend to influence people to behave accordingly on its own- and thus the only time a younger poster would be spanked by the mods is when they become an unacceptable nuisance. In other words, we'll let you sit at the grown-up table as long as you mind your manners and don't start throwing your food- if you do, you'll get thrown out.

3. Hathor

Hathor Moderator Emeritus star 3 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 28, 1998
    that makes sense AJA and would probably work quite well.

4. anya Skywalker

anya Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jun 14, 2000
    Jasman, sir, legend... This is an honor! *bows*

*waits patiently for more anouncements*

5. Humble extra

Humble extra Jedi Youngling star 5

Jun 12, 1999
    "a bunch of long haired hippies hepped up on goofballs"

thats how the history books record the first golden age

6. Lord Bane

Lord Bane Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 26, 1999
    It is good to see some of the first year members come back after extended absences. The sentiments expresses - a new golden age, mature discussion, intelligent direction - are quite nice to talk about and I hope the Administration - more than verbal Vertical - is watching and doing something.

"The JC *allows* mature discussion, it just doesn't really have a good place for it."
    --Vertical

That, I see as a clue and a portent of things to come. I have wanted to see intelligent, mature discussion that doesn't revolve around name games, trivial social threads, fluff movies or the random ballyhoo that pushes down good threads. The concept of a mature forum must transform and be promoted by those using it and those members posting in here. I know I will do my best to promote and utilize such a forum; I expect the same of everyone else in this thread and those who agreed to Down with Diapes over the summer.

A core of posters, having civilized, controversial debates and discussions over a myriad of issues ranging from drug control to abortion to relgion will prove to the rest of the board - to the skeptics - that intelligence is an option at the JC.

7. AJA

AJA Jedi Master star 4

Oct 13, 1998
    I don't think it's even a matter of what topics are discussed- it's just a matter of the tone of discussion in general. The JC wasn't about hard-headed debating of "social issues" in the old days, and I wouldn't expect that to be what this is about either. It's just a matter of being able to have discussions- serious or trivial- in an environment where there isn't a lot of teenage noise going on.

8. Lott_Dod

Lott_Dod Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 19, 2001
    That?s strong and encouraging language Lord Bane. While I would like to see things improve, I?m skeptical that the forums will rebound to what they once were. For the most part, the forums seem mundane and dull. Something that would certainly bring changes here is if the staff again permitted serious discussions that involved religion and other banned topics. The reason the moderators started the blanket bans is apparently because they believed that it would cause ?animosity? among the members. Before the bans were implemented, instead of banning the people who came in and started flaming who caused the threads to degenerate, they merely closed the thread. Like many people, I don?t start flaming people because they have a viewpoint contrary to my own. Are the moderators going to continue to cater to those immature people who are in the minority? The tighter the head staff clenches their fist, the more people will leave. This is a message board, plain and simple. No one is bound to stay and the bans and other efforts to wipe anything too controversial just encourage more people to post less, if at all.

AJA, you have an equally good point. If there are teenagers or adults here that are too immature to handle simple discussion threads why should they be here? As I said in another thread, the JC needs a policy that encourages creativity but not stupidity (such as flaming, trolling, spamming, etc.).

9. Mr. P

Mr. P FanFic Archive Editor, Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 1, 2000
    Hey, great to see you around, jasman!

And don't worry, guys. You won't be disappointed.

--Mr. P

10. AJA

AJA Jedi Master star 4

Oct 13, 1998
    I think there's some degree of disconnect between those who were here way back and those who may have been here one or two years ago. Originally, there wasn't a lot of debate over politics and religion, it was just a bunch of Star Wars fans who'd watched the movies around 500 times who wanted a place to congregate with like-minded individuals. After TPM was released and membership multiplied exponentially, YJCC seemed to take on a life of its own, to the point where a lot of the people who post there aren't neccessarily even big Star Wars fans.

Of course, whatever they do won't neccessarilly exactly duplicate the original character of the place, and undoubtedly discussion of "current events" will continue- I'm just saying that this idea that we're creating some kind of "debate society" isn't neccessarily accurate, at least from what I'd assume.

11. jasman

jasman Administrator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 29, 1998
    Wow, this is deja vu all over again. I am reminded of the discussions we had "way back when," about creating a "senior members" forum. It had nothing to do with age, or even maturity, but the desire of some of the "oldbies" for a place where they could have some rational discussion without being bothered by the mass influx of "newbies." The amazing thing is that this discussion took place in October of 1998!!!!

If I remember correctly, the idea was nixed on the basis that it would be divisive, cause resentments among those who were "excluded" and, I believe it was Scott who said it was "elitist."

I was on record as being in favor of the idea, as long as the "divisiveness" factor could be avoided or resolved somehow.

I am very interested in seeing where this is going to go.

12. anya Skywalker

anya Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jun 14, 2000
    I think that the simple fact of having an open forum where more mature discussion is allowed will help to keeep more imature people at bay. It has been mentioned before that a forum like that might be able to self-moderate most of the time.

So I'm anxious to see where this is going... and hope I'm not too far from the mark. :)

13. AJA

AJA Jedi Master star 4

Oct 13, 1998
    Indeed, jasman. I think it was Paradox who was pushing the whole thing, if I recall correctly. It seems he was about 2 1/2 years ahead of his time.

14. jasman

jasman Administrator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 29, 1998
    One final quick note. I just want to warn everyone not to have any illusions or delusions. It would really be nice if we could somehow recapture the feeling of the old JC from 1998 and early 1999. Those of you who were here then know what I mean, it's not something that can be defined, only something that we felt about the place. Maybe recapturing that would be a worthy goal. It is not, however, reasonable to think that that can ever be accomplished, even with a new forum. We might be able to get close to it, though, with the right attitude and the right people. Just a thought.

15. Lil Wookie

Lil Wookie Moderator Emeritus star 3 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 8, 1998
    Jasman, a legend? Well, he does look a bit like Bigfoot in a speedo, but a legend? Ah well.

Good to see you again crotchetty old man. Now all we need is Darth Lud...maybe Tonyf....and where is Paradox?

Jasman....I know what you mean about how this place felt between 1998 and 1999. (Why do I feel like an old man talking about how sweeter candy was when i was a kid.) But don't think its going to be...nor should it be. I think one of the things that made it feel that way was its size. It had a lot less people there, and it had a more hometown feel. It was also new....guess it was really like a frontier town in the old west...with me and you as lawmen. But now its gotten more stable...bigger...kinda like a more modern city like, saw, New York.

I dunno, I always think that people who are trying to recapture the good old days is looking behind them and are going to walk over the cliff. Trying to recapture the 'god old days' never works, and I don't think it should work. Not when there are so many possibilities for the future. Try for the gold past and you will fail, try for something new in a bright future...and it can be a hell of a lot more fun. But thats just my opinion.

Good to see you man.

16. Ternian

Ternian Jedi Youngling star 4

May 16, 2000
    LOL. This place is going nowhere.

This is just like the Galactic Senate - full of squabbling delegates.

Ah, lets just invade! :D

17. AlphaWolf

AlphaWolf Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 27, 2000
    It's great to see some of the older members back here.

and, to echo MR P. You won't be disappointed.

:)

18. AJA

AJA Jedi Master star 4

Oct 13, 1998
    The issue of "recapturing the old spirit" is sort of a side issue- althought seeing so many of the original folks here does give a little hope on that score.

My initial statement regarding the current and future reality was and is this: given the way things have gotten here, unless they find some way to give teenagers their own place to post, there will be nothing but teenagers posting here.

Seeing that there's some action underway is definitely positive.

19. Lil Wookie

Jul 8, 1998
    Older members!! I am not old! Just because I am now completely bald and blame my bodily emmisions on various pets does not mean I am old!

Oooh, prunes!

20. AlphaWolf

AlphaWolf Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 27, 2000
    :p

you know what I mean.

21. Lil Wookie

Jul 8, 1998
    (ALthough now that I look around, I do think I was the first to get an account here of all the people currently posting. Cool!)

22. jediguy

jediguy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2000
    Lil' Wookie: Throughout this thread, I've been thinking you were female. Sorry.

23. keokiswahine

keokiswahine Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 4, 2000
    "Older members!! I am not old! Just because I am now completely bald and blame my bodily emmisions on various pets does not mean I am old! "

Are you trying to remind us time marches on with or without us???? ?[face_plain]

Great to see you here; don't be a stranger. Your color becomes you. :D

24. mutley

mutley Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 1998
    Wow, reading these last few pages was like attending a high school reunion, lots of great names--Jasman I'm glad to see your name. Lil Wookie how is life since your big move??

Very few from late 90 are here but enough to count for something-it's great to see your names..I would like to find a place where we could chat, us old folks LOL.

25. keokiswahine

keokiswahine Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 4, 2000
    mutley, start an oldtimer's thread, and PM the oldtimers to post.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.