main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

GoldenEye 007......... Still funnest Shooter around.

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by President-JarJar, Apr 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. President-JarJar

President-JarJar Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 22, 2003
    I recently just hooked up my N64 and have been playing GoldenEye! It's still the BEST Shooting game EVER MADE. Period.

I've been playing a lot lately, and I have The Wind Waker and Pokemon: Sapphire! and I still wanna play GoldenEye too. It's even better than Perfect Dark, Halo (never owned it, nor an Xbox, but played it, it's overated) and even better than any other Bond game.

It's a Classic.

The Best Level in a Shooting game? ----The "Facility" ....

2. Invid_Clone

Invid_Clone Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 14, 2002
    GoldenEye...GoldenEye. I keep hearing so much of this GoldenEye-is-the-greatest-shooter stuff. Since I loathe everything Bond related, I gotta ask: what's so special about this game?? Is it only an N64 release?

And Halo...overrated?? :eek: Surely you jest! Since you don't own it (nor own an Xbox) I gotta ask how much of it you actually played to actually think of it as "overrated"?

3. Rabid_Balding_Ewok

Rabid_Balding_Ewok Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 8, 2000
    Hehe, the only people that think that it's the greatest are the "Nintendo only crowd". Not to take anything away from Goldeneye it was a great game. But to say it's the greatest, shows a serious lack of experiance with other shooters.

-----signature-----
    "Rabid Balding Ewok, you make me sick.
    If there was an enemies list, you'd be on mine."
    [face_devil] [face_laugh] [face_devil] [face_laugh] [face_devil] [face_laugh]

:::*::(^^) :(^^) :::::::
    ::::::/::::^^:::::\ ::*::
    :::::/###-^^-##I :::::
    : *:.l##/(*)# (*)\\:::::
    :::/##(###.00#)#I ::::
    ::(___/#*#(XXX)/__) ::
    ::/000{{{{www}}}}\:: Ewoks Will Eat You!

4. scuiggefest

scuiggefest Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 8, 2002
    You know, I owned this game for years before I realized last month that all the music in the game is actually the Bond song. It is a good one

5. Darth_Omega

Darth_Omega Force Ghost star 6

May 19, 2002
    I agree with Rabid_Balding_Ewok, it's a great game but not the greatest.

I think CounterStrike is the greatest FPS out there, it's still the most played game on the internet (that's saying something). Even though I hate it with a passion :p

I'm not a fan of FPS's on consoles, I prefer the good ol' mouse + keyboard :)

6. obi_wan_kanathan

obi_wan_kanathan Jedi Padawan star 4

May 10, 2001
    I agree. Goldeneye was a great game, but it wasn't the best, at least IMO. I actaully thought that Perfect Dark was a little better then it. There's a few other FPS that I think are as good or better then Goldeneye.

Couter Strike is definitely the most popular FPS out there. But I don't like it too much. I used to play Day of Defeat once in awhile, but now that I have Battlefield, it hasn't been touched in a long time.

7. Invid_Clone

Jul 14, 2002
    I'll have to agree as well: Counter-Strike is the online shooter king, despite newer games like BF:1942. I used to hate it but now I find myself playing it very often, honing my skill with each game. Thigns that can ultimately ruin the experiemce for most people are (in no particular order): the AWP whores, the camping bums, the cheaters, and the huge gamut of trash-talking losers out there. I guess that the game can be more enjoyable if played on a LAN party with a group of close knit friends.

8. Darth_Omega

May 19, 2002
    I guess that the game can be more enjoyable if played on a LAN party with a group of close knit friends.

Every game IMO is more enjoyable on a LAN party with a group of close knit friends ;)

9. Stridarious

Stridarious Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 27, 2002
    the BEST Shooting game EVER MADE!

I agree, it is fun to play by yourself and with friends, as is Perfect Dark. Which was made by the same creators of 007 Golden Eye, which I also own. 8-}

10. arabiansanchez

arabiansanchez Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2001
    I'd have to challenge RBE's 'Nintendo Only Crowd' dig. I'm pretty much the only Nintendo faithful within my circle of friends and we always return to Perfect Dark and GoldenEye. And for what reason? The Facility and Complex ofcourse.

Now, I can't speak for all of them but I'm hardly an FPS novice and stuck with Halo, Half-life, Quake II, III, Doom II, TimeSlitters I and II, Delta Force, Dunk Nukem, Medal Of Honours, etc for as long as they remained fun (ie- never feeling labourious) and I can say honestly that for sheer enjoyment nothing has touched Goldeneye as a package.

Sure, the AI's shoddy, the environments aint exacly huge and there's being better single players multiplayer's but never in the same game.

007, for me and I'm guessing another 5 million or so, is probably the closest you'l ever get to gaming perfection.

11. Jedi Greg Maddux

Jedi Greg Maddux Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 3, 1999
    Umm, since when did "funnest" ever translate to "best"?

I wouldn't say that GoldenEye's the *best* FPS around. Castle Wolfenstein and Counterstrike are vastly superior games. Their graphics blow GoldenEye's out of the water, plus the ability to play on the introwebnet is pretty much a necessity for multiplayer.

However, GoldenEye's innovation (at the time) was a key to its popularity. It's by far and away better than Wolfenstein 3D and Doom (actual "stacked" levels, more 3-dimensional than either game)

Another contributor to the "fun factor" is its relative simplicity in comparison to today's FPS. Just wave the control stick around and shoot. There's no need to memorize certain keys and buttons to throw bombs or signal for retreats. There's also no 'net lag, which is always a plus.

12. Darth_Omega

May 19, 2002
    Castle Wolfenstein and Counterstrike are vastly superior games. Their graphics blow GoldenEye's out of the water, plus the ability to play on the introwebnet is pretty much a necessity for multiplayer.

Well Counterstrike graphics isn't that much superior :p

13. Invid_Clone

Jul 14, 2002
    Well Counterstrike graphics isn't that much superior

Well, of course they're not that superior anymore. Counter-Strike -- and every other Half-Life mod -- runs on a game engine nearly six years old. Anything done since then is definitely going to blow it out of the water graphically speaking. However, you don't hear the dozens of thousands of players that connect each day to play complain about that.

The subject here is fun. And Counter-strike's success and longevity owes a lot to that fun factor. Also there's the matter that you can play the game on any modern PC (or at least any decent PC no older than 1999), whereas you gotta have a N64 to play the vaunted GoldenEye. Good luck trying to find brand N64's nowadays (except perhaps on eBay or any garage sale). :p

14. Darth_Omega

May 19, 2002
    whereas you gotta have a N64 to play the vaunted GoldenEye.

Some of us were smart enough to buy one, to enjoy great games ;)

15. Rabid_Balding_Ewok

Rabid_Balding_Ewok Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 8, 2000
    Yeah, we were smart to buy one for all those great games..... all four of them. :p

-----signature-----
    "Rabid Balding Ewok, you make me sick.
    If there was an enemies list, you'd be on mine."
    [face_devil] [face_laugh] [face_devil] [face_laugh] [face_devil] [face_laugh]

:::*::(^^) :(^^) :::::::
    ::::::/::::^^:::::\ ::*::
    :::::/###-^^-##I :::::
    : *:.l##/(*)# (*)\\:::::
    :::/##(###.00#)#I ::::
    ::(___/#*#(XXX)/__) ::
    ::/000{{{{www}}}}\:: Ewoks Will Eat You!

16. obi_wan_kanathan

obi_wan_kanathan Jedi Padawan star 4

May 10, 2001
    Some of those games are by themselves enough of a reason to buy a N64 though. ;)

17. President-JarJar

Mar 22, 2003
    Ahem.... GoldenEye (In my opinion... *keyword*) STILL has the Smoothest, Simplist, FUNNEST Quality Game-play of ANY First Person Shooter... Even Perfect Dark, only thing I liked about Perfect Dark more is the cool bots in Multi-player... but I ALWAYS RETURN TO THE KING OF FPSooters! GoldenEye... i'm not much of a bug Bond fan other than this game and a few decent Bond movies.

Yes, I may be wrong about Halo... BUT, from what I played, it didn't BLOW MY SOCKS off like everyone keeps praising it for! I mean, GoldenEye is still the Best for some reason. Half-Life, the original one,w as Great, but I like Consoles better and the Simpler ones like GoldenEye... My next favorite Shooting game is Medal of Honor & Medal of Honor: Underground... THOSE too are Great ones! I love the Historical aspects and it's classy feel. I have yet to play MOH: Frontline, But I am looking forward to the upcoming Medal of Honor: Rising Sun game...

Yes, NINTENDO RULES! I am not a Nintendo ONLY crowd, but By choice, I wouldn't mind, cuzz Nintendo's so cool.

Nintendo Owns!

GOLDENEYE RULES!

18. the_chosen_two

the_chosen_two Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 23, 2003
    I read somewhere that the next Bond game from EA will shift views. 1st to 3rd. Just like Splinter Cell and MGS2. Just a rumor but there was another rumor that to compromise from switching to a more stealthy game, there will also be a new game that is a direct sequel to Goldeneye. :D

19. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
    At least playing GoldenEye has improved your use of grammar. :p

20. President-JarJar

Mar 22, 2003
    the_chosen_two,

A Direct Sequel to GoldenEye? How so? ....

will there be a Bond game based on the leatest 007 movie "Die Another Day" ..

EA hasn't done justice to Bond like Rare did.... too bad Rare's in Bill Gate's lap now. :p

21. the_chosen_two

the_chosen_two Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 23, 2003
    Not sure if there will be a DAD game but the Goldeneye sequel would probably be expanded from the first one or be a game with the same engine. More will be anounced at E3

22. President-JarJar

Mar 22, 2003
    Where'd you get this news!?!?!

I'd love an expanded GoldenEye 007!

An updated Facility Level.... Priceless!

Hey, the_chosen_two, thanks for the News!

(I already added you to my Watched Users Lists)

:D

23. Lanky

Lanky Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 30, 2002
    I remember once me and a buddy mined the bathroom in the facility while waiting for our other two players to show up. It looked like it was a regular game about to start, so they didn't expect anything. Once one of them walked into the bathroom, we let 'er rip and turned the bathroom into a blazing inferno :p

24. Darth_Omega

May 19, 2002
    The problem I have with Goldeneye is competition. This is going to sound arrogant, but untill now I haven't played against someone who was way better then me. After a while of beating people with 10 - 0 is boring :p

I'm wondering, what is your control style?

Yeah, we were smart to buy one for all those great games..... all four of them. :p

I know your joking but in my opinion, buying a N64 for just OoT is worth it :)

25. Jedi_Learner

Jedi_Learner Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 10, 2002
    I remember this game very well. I borrowed the console and some games during one of the holidays off one of my friends at Secondary School. I liked the game very much, but I don't agree that it is the best shooter around anymore. Solider of Fortune II holds that title with me because of the levels and the realistic damage to surrounding people and buildings. The multiplayer was really good though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.