main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Goldeneye: Those sweet childhood memories.

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by ElfStar, Sep 19, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ElfStar

ElfStar Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 24, 2001
    Bond. James Bond.

The man. The legend. The game.

You all know about it. You've all played it too, unless you're some poor sap. :p

But for those who have played it, and played it, and played it, I thought it would be nice if we could all sit back and reminisce about all those sweet Goldeneye memories. Who can forget the joy of shooting someone on a toilet? Or spreading your love in the form of small green proximity mines.

My friends and I used to play that game all the time. One of my friends was unbeatable at it( you know how that is.) I could beat pretty much anyone but him.

And so we would play, all types of bloodfests. Rocket launchers, proximity mines, fighting knives. We did it all.

So, does anyone care to share some of their fond Goldeneye memories?

2. Admiral_Thrawn60

Admiral_Thrawn60 Jedi Youngling star 6

Jul 8, 2000
    I loved that game. Facility, Bunker 1, and Bunker 2 were easily my favourite levels.

3. ElfStar

Mar 24, 2001
    Eh, I never cared for the bunker levels. Especially in Multiplayer. Then that level annoyed me to death.

The facility, however, is a great level, in all ways. Nothing beats setting proximity mines on every regenrating spot, and then watching the chain reaction that occurs. :D

4. AlienAcid

AlienAcid Jedi Knight star 6

Nov 27, 2000
    She's so high

I loved goldeneye and god damn i kicked ass at it, I was the bane of anyones existance in that game.

I used the weird style controls though :p and that was the key to my kickassness.

5. HawkNC

HawkNC Former RSA: Oceania star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    For pure Facility fun, nothing beats sitting at the far end of the long corridor with a sniper rifle and taking out anyone who gets in your scope.

6. Humble extra

Humble extra Jedi Youngling star 5

Jun 12, 1999
    the bunker was the best for mines.........and childhood game?! what type of parent lets a kid play such a violent game?!

;)

7. DarkStar_010

DarkStar_010 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 28, 2002
    I still play goldeneye, even taught my little sister to play it, who then became good enough to thrash my friends lol
    (her hand is so small, she holds the little stick like a normal joystick :D )
    I don't really have a fave level, but the ones where the enemy respawns are good, so you can kill them again and again...*manic laughter*

Perfect Dark just wasn't as good...

8. Jedi Bib

Jedi Bib Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 16, 2000
    Great game. Where's my 64?

9. Coligeon

Coligeon Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 20, 2002
    I'm with Jedi Bib haha. I think I might have to get another n64 to play some of those classic games. Goldeneye of course.....and we can't forget Smash Brothers lol. Funny how n64 came out busting with some good games, but really fell way back just every it came out.

10. Jedi Bib

Jedi Bib Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 16, 2000
    My friend still has his hooked up. I was showing off my masta-fiend Rouge Squadron skillz the other night.

11. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Goldeneye was great- and I was great at it::)

Straffing circles around people with an (insert favorite close combat weapon) was a very difficult manuever for people to counter- as such , as Boris, "I am Een-veen-see-bull!". Had a cousin come over once, claiming he was really good at the game- felt sorry for him when I wiped the floor with him in it ::) Also remember one time I went to a party and some people were playing the game- one chick was in last place decided to abandon her controller since she drank too much, and so I assumed her controller, and made the comeback to first place ::)

My favorite moment was a game where we did all grenade launchers at (oh man, the bunker i believe- the one where you can go outside in the snow by the helecopter pad). Anyways, me and a friend were outside on that pad at clsoe range- knowing if we shot at each other with the launchers, our own shots would kill us as well. So, I glanced down at my friend's half of the screen, and aimed my weapon straight up... and fired all my grenade shots. He freaked out and ran, not knowing you really can't shoot perfectly straight up, and was caught in the rain of grenades as they came down. between me and the door. I survived, he did not, glorious victory ::)

Another friend of mine actually amnaged to put a remote mine on someones head once too- now THAT was funny ::D

Perfect Dark would have been the perfect followup to Goldeneye- but, alas, they didn't make it an option to be able to disbale that blurry vision effect, which ruined the game, because if you took too many hits, there was no WAY you'd be able to make a comeback like you could in Goldeneye, because you couldn't see anything. A pitty too, because the double-guns, new weapons (far sight and cyclone rocked) and the ability to jump of edges, not to mention the level of character customization available, was awesome.

12. Rabid_Balding_Ewok

Rabid_Balding_Ewok Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 8, 2000
    Yeah bunker was great with proximity mines. I would set them up in waves of three. First wave was an outer perimiter of mines which covered all main hallways and rooms. Then another line of mines covering the same hallways but closer to the main proximity mine spawn point and then another wave closer. I always thought of it like weaving a web of mines with me in the miiddle counting the death toll. :D I always set my mines in such a way that I could get past them if I needed to. This way I could replant the mines on my outer perimiter when a unsuspecting victim set them off.

Bunker was also great for running gun fights. Me and my buddies used to love just running around with handguns. My favorite kill was in bunker. It was in that huge room where the main spawn point is, not the one with the monitors but the big storage area with the two doors on opposite ends. I was using the Magnum at one end of the room and my friend was on the other side of the door on the other end, which is a pretty far distance. He was talking smack on how he was going to kill me. Now from my vantage all I could see was his head peering out of the little window of the steel door, so I took aim with the magnum and capped him in the head through the little window. And much trash talking ensued at that point. The snow part outside was great fun aswell. Hehe, same game I had the magnum and was chasing down my friend outside, who had just spawned. Not really trying to kill him, just playing with him. The whole time yelling "dance, dance mofo, dance!" all while shooting the snow at his feet while he ran like a little sissy.

-----signature-----
    "Rabid Balding Ewok, you make me sick.
    If there was an enemies list, you'd be on mine."
    [face_devil] [face_laugh] [face_devil] [face_laugh] [face_devil] [face_laugh]

:::*::(^^) i(^^) :::::::
    ::::::/::::^^:::::\ ::*::
    :::::/###-^^-##I :::::
    : *:.l##/(*)# (*)\\::::i
    :::/##(###.00#)#I ::::
    ::(___/#*#(XXX)/__) ::
    ::/000{{{{www}}}}\:: Ewoks Will Eat You!

13. ElfStar

Mar 24, 2001
    Hehe. I love using the Magnum on the poor unsuspecting newbies who have no idea it can shoot through doors. :D

Oh, and one thing my friends and I did was make a rule: No one is allowed to play as oddjob. We made that rule because oddjob is so dang short and annoying. Did anyone else enact a similar rule?

14. DUM-4

DUM-4 Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 19, 1999
    Yup. We also had the 'no Odd Job' rule for that same reason.

15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    We didn't have an Oddjob rule, but, except in the case of hardcore bragging rights matches, we had a friendly rule that no one shoots upon a person who is unarmed.

16. HawkNC

HawkNC Former RSA: Oceania star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    2ndQuest, we had that rule also. It was annoying teaching newbies who didn't play how that rule worked, but retribution was exacted once I had an RC-P90 in my hand. [face_devil]

17. Admiral_Thrawn60

Admiral_Thrawn60 Jedi Youngling star 6

Jul 8, 2000
    We too had a no-oddjob rule and a no-unarmed rule.

What character did everyone use? I was always Orumov (sp).

My favourite kill was when I was playing in the Bunker against my sister. She spawned in the cell, and I had her convinced that the door was locked, so she didn't try to escape. I grabbed a Magnum, and stood outside the cell. I demanded her to stand against the large blood stain on the wall. She said "Just do it already!" and crouched down, putting her head down. Bang. [face_devil]

18. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Boris was my character preference- gave me an excuse to run around in the game while talking in an exagerated russian accent- "I am een-veen-see-bull!"

19. Dan

Dan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 15, 1999
    Goldeneye is definitely my favorite console FPS of all-time. I was usually the Siberian trooper, just because I liked the white uniform. Facility is probably the most fun unbalanced map of all time. //still hasn't lost a fair deathmatch, ever. ;)

20. Rabid_Balding_Ewok

Rabid_Balding_Ewok Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 8, 2000
    I always loved the Siberian Trooper as well. The only other skin I would use was Baron Samedi. We didn't really have a Oddjob rule though. Partly because my friends needed somekind of edge. Man did they suck. :p I used to love when people would move while crouching, Oddjob espicially. Because there was no animation for crouching so you would just see people sliding arounding on their knees. Looked like the Gumby and Pokey show.

-----signature-----
    "Rabid Balding Ewok, you make me sick.
    If there was an enemies list, you'd be on mine."
    [face_devil] [face_laugh] [face_devil] [face_laugh] [face_devil] [face_laugh]

:::*::(^^) i(^^) :::::::
    ::::::/::::^^:::::\ ::*::
    :::::/###-^^-##I :::::
    : *:.l##/(*)# (*)\\::::i
    :::/##(###.00#)#I ::::
    ::(___/#*#(XXX)/__) ::
    ::/000{{{{www}}}}\:: Ewoks Will Eat You!

21. ElfStar

Mar 24, 2001
    I too used the siberian trooper. He just blends in so well. Especially in the grey facility.

How many people have figured out the trick to reentering the ventilation shaft?

22. Darth_Reign

Darth_Reign Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2001

I always used Jerry Seinfeld (aka Janus special forces) in multi.

My favourite setting was Complex Grenade launchers, so many little nooks and cramped corridors to bounce grenades off.

23. jediguy

jediguy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2000
    I loved that game, but it used to really annoy me whenever someone wanted to play 'golden gun' mode - one shot kill. As bad as the AWP in Counterstrike...

24. tenorjedi

tenorjedi Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 17, 2000
    We had a no odd-job and no shooting unarmed man rule as well. Lots of dorm room fun back in college. That and mario kart were our staples for multiplayer and it was a blast. Although since we were the only ones on the floor with an N64 we never got a moment to ourselves.

25. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    My all-time favorite scenario is Proximity Mines in the Complex. I would always hide in the "base" that's above the blue corridor and cross from the yellow hall. From there, I could plant mines at the sole entrance to the base to protect myself from intrusion, and there are 2 windows from which I can throw mines. Then, I just sit back and let the poor unsuspecting folks walk into my mines.

My all-time favorite game was when we were playing License to Kill in the Archives, using Power Weapons. I went that entire game with just a Shotgun, and I didn't die at all, even though most of my opponents had found an RC-P90 by the time we fought. I often just hung out near the end of a corridor and used the Shotgun's wide ammo spread to get anyone that came down that corridor.

My favorite kill in that scenario was when I was in one of those corridors, and my two other opponents came down the cross corridor trying to shoot each other. Being the opportunist that I am, I shot the guy who was retreating from the other guy, then as he came to steal all the weapons the dead guy had, I shot him too. I was laughing maniacally at that time. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.