main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"Gollum upstaged by Imperial Star Destroyer"

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by BigRedCube, Jan 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    Jurassic Park Dinos! Very very good point. They should be on there. But instead of Gollum. Which still leaves us with the problem of spot#10 :p

how about "Animated Movies in general"? ;) Or "Toy Story" (it was the first feature-length computer animated movie, right?)

2. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    It's cool how basicaly spots 2-10 flow from spot # 1.

If Star Wars had never been made, CGI technology probably would never have come along. (ILM *was* the creator of much of the early work in this area.) No CGI, no T-1000 in T2 (at least, not as realized.). No T-1000 in T2, no widespread acceptance of CGI as an actual tool to use....and no Spider-man or Matrix films.

Yeah, the fight in Revolutions is way overrated. The lobby fight is much better, as if Smith/Neo in the Subway station.

3. J-Solo

J-Solo Jedi Master star 4

Oct 6, 1999
    What about 2001? Come on, that stargate sequence (minus the solarized parts) is one of the best in history. The rest of the film is great too, and it was made in 1968.

4. Darth_Maul_Sith_Lord

Darth_Maul_Sith_Lord Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 11, 2004
    "Jar Jar and Watto came before Gollum and were done far better in my opinion."

That is so Laughable. I seriously hope you were joking... Especially for the time and effort that went into to making Gollum come to life and actually interact with live/non-CG characters on a physical level... And the damn thing had more realistic facial expressions that most live actors.

Jurassic Park should've been in the top 10 along with the Abyss, which is the film that really helped put CGI on the map... T2 took that same technology to create the T-1000...

D_M_S_L

5. Chaotic_Serenity

Chaotic_Serenity Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 10, 2004
    I think Gollum was a great character, but I wasn't quite as impressed by the CGI as I thought I would be when I finally saw it. (IMO, LOTR got away with alot of SFX things that the SW films get slammed for.) But Jar Jar was excellently made for what he was - an early pioneer in the direction of CGI character development. And Watto is just awesome. Very creative character design.

Though I do agree that it surprises me that Jurassic Park isn't on there. It wasn't until much later after I saw that movie that I learned how much of it was CGI.

6. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

ST-TPM-ASF-TNE Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2001
    NeoBaggins, I was referring to Neo Vs. Smith being the greatest fight. I love that fight, but I enjoy other fights more.

BTW, what are you referring to with the "Reloaded Trainfight"? Are you talking about the freeway chase, where they fought on the truck? If so, I agree.

7. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    "It wasn't until much later after I saw that movie that I learned how much of it was CGI."

It wasn't until the DVD making ofs that I learned how much is still models :p

8. Devilanse

Devilanse Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2002
    The special effects in the Spider-Man films are So_Over.Frieking.Rated.

So are posts like this. Another thing. How is it relevant to the topic?

9. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

ST-TPM-ASF-TNE Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2001
    It's relevant because I said so, and you can't dispute that :-B

A majority of the replies in this thread aren't directly related to the topic either. Don't single me out.

10. AlphaTrion-TJW

AlphaTrion-TJW Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 14, 2003
    Hell yeah! ANH ISD opening still Number 1 baby!

11. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    Stan Winston has done great work on so many films and the Dinosaurs really come alive, both in CGI and puppet form. They should be near the top of the list.
    Great point there.

-Seldon

12. eaglejedi

eaglejedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 2, 2001
    Jar Jar's mere existence is high heresy. Watto doesn't seem like much to me.

When it comes to LOTR effects, I always liked the Nazgul and Sauron, not to mention the Balrog. Too bad that we didn't get to see Gandalf's fire spell (naur an edraith ammen, naur dhan i ngaurhoth).

The 1977 opening shot is really cool. We brake for no one.

13. James_Sunderland

James_Sunderland Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 7, 2005
    The Balrog was terrific in FOTR. When that thing first appeared, it was a great moment.

Why is Yoda not on the list? If not for Yoda, Gollum and Jar Jar wouldn't even exist.

14. eaglejedi

eaglejedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 2, 2001
    True. I actually prefer the original Yoda. He speaks with the most spiritual authority, to me.

15. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Devastator [face_love]

I really wish I was old enough to have seen the thing in theaters for the first time, back in 1977. I've always wanted to know what it felt like.

I also wanted to know what it felt like with Executor's opening shots in ESB, with the shadow covering the previously frighteningly long ISD.

16. Darth_Sprocket

Darth_Sprocket Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2002
    ....wait until you see the opening space battle in ROTS....it'll blow you away....

17. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Nothing will compare to the OT, in my eyes. Maybe in 20 years, when the PT is as dated.

18. Devilanse

Devilanse Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2002
    A majority of the replies in this thread aren't directly related to the topic either. Don't single me out.

I had to! You said something bad about Spidey!!!! [face_frustrated]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.