main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Golly gosh, where *is* that naughty word list?

Discussion in 'Communications' started by jp-30, Jan 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Hello,

I have read about a list of forbidden words that is supposedly here in Comms, though a search and an index trawl didn't seem to help me loctate it. Can a kindly mod point me to where this list is held so I may adjust my posting habits accordingly?

Twice in the last week I've been warned/edited for swearing, using words I never knew were considered swear-words, ("Bollocks" and "Goddamn").

Also, do the admins have any access to the swearword filter? If so, shouldn't those words automatically get asterisked out if they're against the rules?

I do realise some words only become offensive if used in certan context ("bitch"), but my use of "bollocks" was completely context free, being posted in a 'what's your favourite word?' thread. Also most of the incidents of "goddamn" edited from this thread were neutral as well.

2. droideka27

droideka27 Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2002
    There is a list posted in jcc in this thread:

http://boards.theforce.net/Your_Jedi_Council_Community/b10008/21411526/?1

Although goddamn isn't on that list. Should be, i guess! I left it off because it didn't seem to be being enforced in JCC at that time and i wasn't sure about it. No one's pointed that out or cared as of yet, but since it's being edited in JCC, it should be on the list.

3. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    I'll put the the official list in a sticky. It'll seem wierd seeing some of those words on a post. :eek::p

4. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    Either that or it's being wrongly enforced...?

Neither "Bollocks" nor "Goddamn" are on that list, or were at the time I posted them a day or two back. Did my use of them make my usernotes?

5. droideka27

May 28, 2002
    Either that or it's being wrongly enforced...?

I wish, but i doubt it. There are many things in JCC that while i was modding there, i would see edited in one forum with stricter rules, but not JCC. A great example being posts with sexual content. I personally don't see how we should be editing out "jesus christ!" but not "Oh my god." Seems to be the exact same thing to me... and i think both should be left alone. But hey, whatever.

EDIT: as far as bollocks goes, i have no idea. I don't recall that being a bad phrase, and it wasn't on the list when i made that JCC thread, but the list gets changed.

6. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    I just posted the list, but it doesn't have "bollocks" on it. There has been discussion of those words, but we need to do a better job of updating them if we're going to enforce them.

7. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    I understand that different forums will have slightly different rules, that's fine. Though you're saying JCC is more lenient than other forums, yet that's where I was warned/edited for using those two words (that aren't on the JCC Naughty Word list).

Well, the list is in someone's head, not a list that's publically available by the looks. With the loosening on Frack, Frell, Fricken etc, it seems very odd that there is a tightening on other mild expletives.

I wonder if there's been any reasoned discussion of Goddamn and Bollocks (so to speak) amongst the mods in the last little while, or if this is simply a personal edict from the senior administrator?

8. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    So "Bollocks" is OK then? Can I repost it in the "Favourite Word" thread?

9. odj_310388

odj_310388 Jedi Knight star 5

May 30, 2002
    Why is **** and the two other words like it the only ones starred out on that list? It seems pretty silly to star those out when you havnt starred out the others.

10. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    jp, "bollocks" was actually discussed as not being appropriate for the same reason "balls" in that context was, and added to the list, but not technically added to the list (meaning it was never edited into the list). I wouldn't go post it now, but if it's in your notes, then we should look at that.

11. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    But there was no context. It was posted in a favourite word thread. // shrug //

I understand the "Bollocks" posting didn't make my usernotes, though "goddamn" has. If at all possible could an extra note be added that explains that the word was not publically known as a swear word when I posted it.

Also, you may like to look at all the many other's usernotes who posted "Goddamn" in this thread over the last few days.

12. NaboosPrincess

NaboosPrincess Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 14, 2001
    I use the one in FanFic. God**** is on that list.

13. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    *OH MY VIRGIN EYES!!!!!!!!!!!*:eek::eek::eek:

*Reads list. Again*

[face_hypnotized][face_hypnotized]

I love how you had the fore-sight to lockt the thread to prevent mass "Quote reply"

[face_thinking]

[face_laugh][face_laugh]

14. Darth_Ignant

Darth_Ignant Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 24, 2001
    If Jesus Christ! is banned, Oh My God most definitely should be, too. And by extension, OMG.

Clarification, pleasE?

15. FlareStorm

FlareStorm Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 13, 2000
    That list is ****

Edit (Word edit): Retarded

16. -Commander_Thigh-

-Commander_Thigh- Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 8, 2004
    The "god" in OMG doesn't necessarily refer to a specific god, I would assume.

17. FlareStorm

Nov 13, 2000
    This thread is not for **** posts, Thingy

18. droideka27

May 28, 2002
    The "god" in OMG doesn't necessarily refer to a specific god, I would assume.

And according to some, the f in "wtf" doesn't necessarily refer to a bad word.

19. ObiWan506

ObiWan506 Former Head Admin star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 5, 2003
    I will ask about this in MS now.

20. FlareStorm

Nov 13, 2000
    Oh My Zues! This thread is going to go nowhere fast!

21. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    What's wrong with discussing it in Comms?

22. ObiWan506

ObiWan506 Former Head Admin star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 5, 2003
    It sure doesn't help that you're spamming though.

I think this thread is good because it allows us to flesh out what exactly is allowed and what isn't since some users are confused.

23. droideka27

May 28, 2002

I think this thread is good because it allows us to flesh out what exactly is allowed and what isn't since some users are confused.

except that you are trying to move it to the MS?

Flare's comment hada point, one that Jeff made as well, he just stated it differently. Not everyone posts in the same style.

24. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    If I remember correctly, the edict on "Jesus Christ!" came down from the owners themselves (well, Josh, anyway), but "Oh my god", was allowed because as Thigh said, it could be interpretted in a pretty general way. I myself, when I say "Oh my god!" I leave the "g" uncapitalized.

Edit: Added the many, many quotation marks.

25. Andalite-Bandit

Andalite-Bandit Jedi Padawan star 6

Apr 25, 2005
    I think that from now on all words should be banned from the JC and we should have to communicate through morse code.

No cursing in morse code will be allowed though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.