main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Golly gosh, where *is* that naughty word list?

Discussion in 'Communications' started by jp-30, Jan 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    Rhonda, my thinking on the matter is similar to what Tracy has said. There's a degree to which the words have an impact and use.

Strilo, that's okay. You are American after all. :p

The two that Josh put in back when we first created the list was "Jesus Christ" and "God Damn".

Not that .... Well, this one ... If you ...

JP stop giving me lead-ins that I can't follow through with on a family board.

2. Kartanym

Kartanym Jedi Knight star 6

May 23, 2002
    Not at all. It's two seperate things as Everton mentioned. 'Dammit' or 'Damn it' shouldn't be on the list. And personally, I still don't see what the problem is with 'God damn it' either.

3. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    If "Oh My God" is allowed because "God" isn't specific, then I'd think the "God" in "God damn it!" would be the same.

4. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    I tend to think of it like this. If you're at dinner with your family, mom and dad, grandmother, whoever... and you said "Oh my God!" would they be offended? Would you get chastised? Would you feel strange saying it in front of a parent, teacher, child, etc.?

Now ask yourself the same thing about "God Damn it!" Say you're sitting at the dinner table, and you say, "God Damn It!". Is the reaction the same as if you'd said "Oh my God!"?

5. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    No, but then the two phrases aren't used interchangeably. "Oh my god" is an utterance of surprise, and "goddamn" is an utterance of anger / frustration.

6. Kartanym

May 23, 2002
    Neither phrases would get much of a reaction at all in my family. Neither are offensive. How many times have you cursed with far worse then this? It isn't a curse at all, as it is. Simply a term that is used within an angry context, but certainly doesn't go against God, if that's the problem. Anyone who thinks it should be banned because it uses God, I don't know. It's silly to me. I mean, I'm Catholic :p

7. FlareStorm

FlareStorm Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 13, 2000
    My grandmother is dead, thanks for bringing it up...

8. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    jp, I understand that, but I'm just going on sheer offensiveness. Like you say, it isn't an apples to apples comparison.

I think we're agreeing, but in a twisted way, Kart. If it's God that's the offensive part, Jeff is right, but like anything...shades of gray. ;)

Flare - @};-

9. Kartanym

May 23, 2002
    Yup, very distinct shades of gray.

10. Tabula Rasa

Tabula Rasa Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 8, 1998
    I said that two pages ago. Humbug.

11. Kartanym

May 23, 2002
    so? :p

12. Darth Gangrenous

Darth Gangrenous Chosen One star 10

Jun 1, 2005
    [face_shame_on_you] Using words you KNOW you are NOT allowed to use here. [face_shame_on_you] You need to permaban yourselves. :p

While I'm here, I didn't see certain words on "the list" and was wondering if they are alright to use. I have seen the word "clit" used along with "tits"(and all it's variations) used in the JCC and never seen anyone mod smacked or it even be edited out by a Mod but I used "tits" in the EUC and one of the EUC Mods got on to me about it. If they are allowed in one area, they need to be allowed everywhere on the boards. Just want to know what is going on.

Thanks

13. NaboosPrincess

NaboosPrincess Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 14, 2001
    Um, you made a post consisting of nothing but alternate words for female breasts in a discussion that was already inappropriate.

It's not always the words that lead to an edit, but the actual content of the post and how they are used.

14. Darth Gangrenous

Darth Gangrenous Chosen One star 10

Jun 1, 2005
    That is true and once again I appoligise for that. I have no hard feelings and I hope you don't either. I will not make that type of post again. What confuses me is that I have seen others do the exact same thing in the JCC and get away with it. That is why I figured it was alright to make that post when asked what the other terms for breasts were.

15. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    can we say god****? or ***damn?

16. Kartanym

May 23, 2002
    doesn't look like it, does it?

17. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    i did that myself!

18. Kartanym

May 23, 2002
    Don't confuse me like that!!!

:p

19. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    lol a right couble act! :p

20. Kartanym

May 23, 2002
    sshh you :p

21. Darth_Ignant

Darth_Ignant Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 24, 2001
    Did we ever get a copy of the edict from the owners regarding god damn?

Also, I have to ask....why was this never an issue until we got a mod with lot's of religious stuff in the sig? This is by no means a personal attack, but all mod's should try to be impartial.

22. Cobranaconda

Cobranaconda Jedi Grand Master star 7

Mar 3, 2004
    Just asking, but if **** (with an s) isn't allowed, then why is "*****"? It means exactly the same and just has an 'e' on the end, yet I see it about once everyday, and it never gets edited.

23. ObiWan506

ObiWan506 Former Head Admin star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 5, 2003
    ***** is not allowed and has always been on that list. Again though, given the fact that there were inconsistencies, not every mod was on the same page. It's like the word goddamn; it was never allowed but it wasn't edited because either no one saw it or no one was 100% sure on the current policy.

Now that we have an official swear word list in Comms, the inconsistencies should be eliminated.

24. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    Ignant, Inspector Gadget here on the case:

On February 18, 2003, Mr. Neck created a thread in MS with a list. Genghis then came back with the last one they had worked. "Goddamn" was not on this list, but it was apprarent a definitive list was needed and Josh asked Kadue to come back with a list that was considered definitive and they would use it and it would be the basis of what we have now. When Kadue posted his list after some going back and forth with Josh, "Goddamn" was on the list, this was the same day, February 18, 2003. So as of that date, it's been on the MS official swear list, anyway.

Do I get a gold star? [face_mischief]

25. Darth_Ignant

Darth_Ignant Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 24, 2001
    You can have two!

Thanks, for the investigation, Rhonderoodeeroodeeroo!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.