main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Golly gosh, where *is* that naughty word list?

Discussion in 'Communications' started by jp-30, Jan 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ObiWan506

ObiWan506 Former Head Admin star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 5, 2003
    You lost me. "Goddamn" was on the swear list and I edited it. What did I do wrong? I am being impartial and any insinuation that I'm unfair or baised in the way I mod because of my religious affiliation is absurd.

2. Kartanym

Kartanym Jedi Knight star 6

May 23, 2002
    How about platinum? :p

I'd love to hear the reasoning behind adding 'goddamn' from Josh.

3. YouAgain

YouAgain Jedi Master star 5

Dec 20, 2001
    The JC is soooooo turning into something out of a bad episode of neopets....

4. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    seriously though, can we say either ***damn or god****? because damn is allowed, it's just the god association that is the problem, right? and god is allowed, it's just the damnation association?

5. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    Right. It's the two together, and the owner specifically put this on the list a few years ago, so I can't see us taking it off. "Damn" is acceptable and works well in most cases if you have to emote. :p

6. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    i may settle for dagnamnit. 'damnit' is too quick, you need the first syllable closely followed by the two; it rolls off the tongue, or keyboard, much more effectively, yes.

7. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    I hope the Gonk Knights of old forgive us, but we do allow gonkdammit. It's almost allophonic (almost) ;)

kind of weak, though, I must say...

8. Captain_Typho

Captain_Typho Jedi Master star 5

Jul 30, 2003
    I'm actually surprised that some of those words are on the naughty list. I've seen a lot of tv shows on regular cable (Fox, CBS, ABC) that allow characters to say "bitch" or "son of a bitch" Obviouslly I understand that using those words in a deregatory sense towards another user (flaming) should not be allowed but it is interesting that it is not allowed as a reactionary expletive on these boards.

9. Pelly-Welly

Pelly-Welly Jedi Knight star 6

Jan 10, 2004
    First, hurray for the wordlist, makes it a little easier to post for non-native English speakers such as myself. I still am confused when it comes to the word "damn", but meh...

Secondly, I have a bit of a problem. Namely some Dutch words get starred out. (The very normal and polite Dutch word "h.0.m.0" for example. In Dutch it's not a curse, at least not when you use it as in "Yeah, he's gay") Now, I'm wondering if this is a problem when mods come across it. Because I understand it's kinda easy for me to say "Oh, no, that word is fine in Dutch"...but how do these starred out words show up in my usernotes? Is there a way of seeing I wasn't cursing but just talking?

edit: gr, stars. Bow for my will.

10. HawkNC

HawkNC Former RSA: Oceania star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    Automatically filtered words don't show up in your notes unless we put them there, which we wouldn't in most cases unless it's deliberate and repeated. As was mentioned in the other thread, "homo" is a bone of contention for a lot of us as well, not all of us think it should be in there but unfortunately we have no control over it.

11. Pelly-Welly

Pelly-Welly Jedi Knight star 6

Jan 10, 2004
    Okay, thanks :) *relieved now*

12. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    "Damn" is in the allowable list, and can be used any way, except when combined with "God". ;)

13. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    Now that Josh isn't the primary owner anymore is it possible to reevaluate the words in the word filter? If I remember correctly he was uber religous and was the determining factor of some of th estuff included in there. Or has uncle Phil put down his pimp hand on the swear filter?

14. Captain_Typho

Jul 30, 2003

Wow dude, you just gave me the best laugh I've had in a long time! :) Now I'm imagining Phil in pimp clothes with a cane.

15. -RebelScum-

-RebelScum- Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 21, 2004
    I am confused, the word "queer" isn't filtered out but "****" is. (the first part of homosexual or homosapien)

The latter is used in scientific terminalogy and holds its roots in Latin for man or Greek for same. But it is filtered when much more offensive terms are allowed?

-The Scummy-

16. FlareStorm

FlareStorm Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 13, 2000
    "depends on context"

I guess this is an uber-word filter that can actually check your context [face_plain]

17. ObiWan506

ObiWan506 Former Head Admin star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 5, 2003
    "Depends on context" is a phrase used to describe the subjectivity of the moderators. Obviously that phrase relates to us, not the filter.

Also, the filter is not completely consistent with our current swear word list. It is merely there to help us with some of the swear words. Anything it doesn't pick up will be taken care of by moderator presence.

18. Charn

Charn Jedi Master star 8

Dec 23, 2004
    looked at the list:

suprised to find that:

Spazz

Spastic

Spacker

were not there...

19. -RebelScum-

-RebelScum- Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 21, 2004
    I understand the context thing, but the word is not even all that bad used out of context.

-The Scummy-

20. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Okay, something that I hadn't thought about in a long time was recently brought up when N.i.g.g.e.r was censored when I tried to mention the Conrad book, the (insert word here) of the Narcissus.

I guess this is the problem with an auto filter, but I was under the impression that artwork titles were outside the range of the usual censorship.

This dates from the discussion regarding the Swedish 'Amal film' as far as I know and I hadn't heard that it had been reversed.

So, has it? Or are we allowed to appeal edits when we're specifically referring to a concrete artwork?

No biggie, just curious.

21. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    AFAIK, titles like that are outside of the censorship filter, but it may not be techinically (like the filter needs to be set or something) as Amal is been given the okay for discussion in Swedish FF.

22. jacemathem

jacemathem Jedi Master star 5

Oct 3, 2003
    Every time I read this thread title on the board list, the old Christmas song goes through my head, "Oh by gosh, by golly! It's time for mistletoe and holly!" :p

23. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Okay, that's what I figured. Thanks.

24. Captain_Typho

Jul 30, 2003

So wait, if it's in reference to an artistic work it can be used in discussion? So you're telling me someone could start a thread in the YJCC or AMP called "F.u.c.k. It" and as long as it has to do with the popular Eamon song of that name released last year, no one could get in trouble for it?

25. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    In the JCC, I think a title like that would just make the thread a disaster zone right from the off. The forum isn't suited to using forbidden words even if it is with a genuine intent to discuss something concrete. The atmosphere of the place basically dictates the likely responses... and those responses would for example involve heavy 'reinterpretation' of the song title followed by ludicrous claims of only wanting to discuss the song. Plus, there'd be the usual tactless fumbling into trouble multiplied tenfold. A nightmare.

So no, for my money the word is forbidden in the JCC period.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.