main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Canada good Canadian TV scrapped!

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by Darth-Schwartz, Apr 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth-Schwartz

Darth-Schwartz Jedi Master star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    TORONTO - CBC-TV's This Hour Has 22 Minutes is one of many high-profile Canadian television shows that may be scrapped, a result of the Canadian Television Fund rejecting nearly two-thirds of its subsidy applicants.
    While $75 million will be contributed to 73 productions, 129 productions will not receive CTF funding - 64 per cent of total applicants.
    "CBC is very disappointed that so many projects didn't receive funding," CBC-TV's chief programmer Slawko Klymkiw told ArtsCanada. "This demonstrates the [funding] system doesn't work."
    It's an "open question" as to which current series and planned projects can be saved, he said. But some will have to be axed.
    The Canadian Television Fund is a private and public funded organization that helps create and finance Canadian television productions.
    The CTF had its annual funding slashed by 25 per cent in the recent federal budget - from $100 million to $75 million.
    Last year, the CBC got nearly 91 per cent of its projects through, Klymkiw said. This year it was only 25 per cent.
    Klymkiw is still waiting to see how much funding the network will receive from Telefilm Canada before final decisions are made.
    CBC shows that did not receive funding include This Hour Has 22 Minutes, The Red Green Show and Edgemont.
    There were reports that every CTV movie-of-the-week project was also turned down and that acclaimed new series The Eleventh Hour may not return.
    For more arts news, listen to The Arts Report weekdays at 7:12 a.m., 8:12 a.m. and 5:55 p.m. on CBC Radio Two.

yet they we have money for canadian idol. f--k that!

2. Woofer

Woofer Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 27, 2001
    I just (and I mean just) watched a clip of the report on the CBC website about that very same topic.

Its a shame that the funding is just not available. Hopefully the outcry will see money appear for the budgets.

3. CrazyMike

CrazyMike Former Mod & RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 4, 2000
    It is very sad that this great show has been scrapped. Lynora and I have watched it for years.

4. Wolf

Wolf Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 29, 2002
    I remember watching it when it first came out... I lost track of when it was on.

What i do remember was that it was an extreamly funny show that seemed to be very well written. It is a shame that it has to go. But then again so does Buffy...

5. Java_Jedi

Java_Jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

May 20, 2002
    I find this to just plain sad!!! :( Very few Canadian shows that have come out are anywhere near the quality of these ones. I mean, honestly... Forever Knight?. Please...

Other than,say, hockey night in canada... what shows does that leave that are any good?

6. Woofer

Aug 27, 2001
    The shows in question have not been cancelled yet.

A major source of funding is no longer available to them is all (in the case of 22 Minutes, it represents 20% of their budget).

But yes, the producers of these have said if they can't find alternative funding, or find a way to do the show for less cost they will be force to end the program.

7. Darth-Schwartz

Darth-Schwartz Jedi Master star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    theres gotta be a law or somethin against takin 22 minutes off.

8. AT-ST_DRIVER

AT-ST_DRIVER Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 1, 2001
    Definitely. same with Reds Green. Both those shows rock.

9. Daughter_of_Yubyub

Daughter_of_Yubyub Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 8, 2002
    They've yanked the funding on all the comedies! It's not fair!

10. Sebulba2179

Sebulba2179 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 5, 2002
    Don't mind the bloody Yank tossing his two cents in here - but I gotta wonder when was the last time a good Canadian TV show didn't go "due south."

Now THAT is a case in point for good Canadian TV getting scrapped, my friends. I'm glad I got almost the whole series on tape, 'cuz believe it or not, it's sorely missed by many of us in the Lower 48.

11. Woofer

Aug 27, 2001
    Well as for currently in production, purely Canadian shows (as opposed to US TV shows filmed here)...

The only two I can think offhand are The Red Green Show and Made in Canada, both carried in the US via PBS.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.